Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended SWA airport for trip to NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by carraher
We fly to New York frequently either from SMF or OAK. We book two one-way flights rather than round-trip. We always stay in Long Island City hotels because it offers the best bang for the buck and is only three stops from Manhattan. In our opinion, LGA which is closer, is ideal for arrival but awful and crowded for departure. Thus we take Uber when we arrive and either subway/NJT or the Airporter bus for our return out of EWR. Much less stressful.
As a life long Long Islander, frequent LIC, Astoria and NYC visitor and LGA sufferer, I really applaud this analysis & approach, its brilliant. Be sure to check out Astoria, cool neighborhood...

Last edited by joshua362; Jul 23, 2015 at 9:21 am
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alggag

Still not too crazy about the bus to/from LGA. I used it back in December, March, and April and every time we were just stuck in traffic in Queens and barely enough room to move. I typically prefer public transit when and where I can but I think going forward I'm just going use Uber or cab it when it comes to LGA.
Not sure if this is what you mean, but there is a subway stop not terribly far from LGA, to/from which you can take a bus. Did not work out badly, I thought.

Got to see a new part of the city.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Although, I have a slight preference for EWR when visiting NYC, I'll usually take whichever is less expensive. For my last trip, I flew into EWR and out of LGA.

OP - Do you have an American Express Platinum (or Centurion) Card? If so, you'd have complimentary access to the pre-security Centurion Lounge in LGA (which I found relatively convenient for most WN gates). At EWR, there is not really a good lounge option for departing WN flights.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:47 am

For Ground Transport, we used Dial 7 last time from LGA. Fixed Rate + Tip, from LGA to 57 and Lex. It worked really well.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
For Ground Transport, we used Dial 7 last time from LGA. Fixed Rate + Tip, from LGA to 57 and Lex. It worked really well.
Could you tell us how much?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by LUPY48
Also, don't forget ISP (Islip) if going to Long Island.
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Could you tell us how much?
https://www.dial7.com/transportation_rates_NY

That IS a great deal!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Last time I flew Southwest into EWR and out of LGA. Even flying in late at night and leaving in late afternoon it was a quicker trip midtown Manhattan to LGA. Also from EWR there are a lot more tolls so cab will be more. If taking public transportation the train from EWR would be easier.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I flew in and out of EWR two years ago. Took the Airport Express Bus from EWR to Times Square and Dial 7 back to EWR. Both easy and economical for a family of four with luggage.

PS - arrived and departed Saturday afternoon.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by traveller001
9/15 is a Saturday and 2782 isn't an option. It is the day prior and the day after.

One could get pretty hungry not to mention cramped up with a no plane change coast to coast....
My bad- I'm mixing my to/from dates.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carraher
We fly to New York frequently either from SMF or OAK. We book two one-way flights rather than round-trip. We always stay in Long Island City hotels because it offers the best bang for the buck and is only three stops from Manhattan. In our opinion, LGA which is closer, is ideal for arrival but awful and crowded for departure. Thus we take Uber when we arrive and either subway/NJT or the Airporter bus for our return out of EWR. Much less stressful.
Great feedback all so far thank you.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Although, I have a slight preference for EWR when visiting NYC, I'll usually take whichever is less expensive. For my last trip, I flew into EWR and out of LGA.

OP - Do you have an American Express Platinum (or Centurion) Card? If so, you'd have complimentary access to the pre-security Centurion Lounge in LGA (which I found relatively convenient for most WN gates). At EWR, there is not really a good lounge option for departing WN flights.
Amex, but just the no frills Green card unfortunately.

Would have been a nice bennie at the airport.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Information like this and the other comments in this thread are why FT is awesome.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by IWannaGoWhereItsWarm.
I just checked the Credit Card Statement. The total was $54.80. This includes the Sedan, Bridge Toll and tip.

BASE FARE ($): 39.00
Tolls ($): 8.00
Tips ($): 7.80

Total Price ($): 54.80

I booked in advance, you call the operator, they send a car for you after you call, the driver calls and Identifies himself. I called as I was walking off the plane and waited about 5-10 min for the driver. This was on a Wednesday afternoon at 16:30. I'd say the drive took about 45 min, give or take.

To compare, on a Saturday Morning at 0930 AM we took Uber from 57 and Lex to LGA.

Base Fare 3.00
Distance 21.16
Time 7.67
Subtotal $31.83
Robert F Kennedy Bridge(?) 5.54

CHARGED: $37.37

CAR: uberX
miles: 9.84
TRIP TIME: 00:19:10
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by traveller001

One could get pretty hungry not to mention cramped up with a no plane change coast to coast....
We Did this in May. Stopped in DAL, no plane change. We got up and switched to the front seats and walked around the plane a bit.
We pack food for the trip, I think I ate salami and cheese and crackers and trail mix, my S/O most likely had a sandwich.

Flying coast to coast on WN w/ one stop no plane change is not really all that bad. I don't mind the seats, and I find WN to have the most legroom of most coach seats out there.

Here is my thread on it from the time:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...lga-691-a.html
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:54 pm

Flying coast to coast on WN w/ one stop no plane change is not really all that bad. I don't mind the seats, and I find WN to have the most legroom of most coach seats out there.
Comparing AA and WN coach seats, I would pick WN every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.