Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest international flight + KNT and TSA precheck

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

I asked this in another thread but didn't get any data. I've got a known traveler number via TSA precheck in my WN profile and always get precheck on domestic boarding pass. Flying MCO-MBJ Sunday. Any data on whether or not international boarding passes are showing precheck?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
you won't get precheck on any Southwest itinerary with an international leg.

......because: (Southwest + IT = failure)
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by expert7700
you won't get precheck on any Southwest itinerary with an international leg.

......because: (Southwest + IT = failure)
That was my worry. Thanks for confirming.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Just to help answer any questions that may come up when people search for this thread:

I called SW in May and tried to have my KTN added to my reservation for a international flight...

The rep confirmed with a supervisor that the current system Southwest is utilizing for international flights has no location for your KTN to be added to the reservations...

This means no pre-check for outbound or inbound flights that are part of the same reservation as any international leg.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

I can confirm. No TSA precheck on my WN international MCO-MBJ even though I have KTN saved in my profile.

Also FYI: if not checking baggage, you CAN check in at kiosk with passport scanner and get boarding pass. However, you will need to get your boarding pass stamped in red DOCS OK at a gate agent. You won't be able to board otherwise. If you check bags, they will stamp at that point.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is truly remarkable that WN hasn't fixed something as simple as this. Was merely shoddy work when they lept into international travel. Now, it's unforgivable.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest Companion Pass
Southwest makes it clear on their site that International itineraries are not eligible for precheck. https://www.southwest.com/html/gener...check_faq.html --Who is eligible.

Ok, how's this for a workaround.
1. Check in, check bags, verify docs with your international itinerary.
2. Book a domestic flight for the same day, from your same originating airport, on a refundable fare. (and get precheck)
3. Go through security on this new domestic BP
4. Cancel domestic itinerary.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maanfi24
Southwest makes it clear on their site that International itineraries are not eligible for precheck. https://www.southwest.com/html/gener...check_faq.html --Who is eligible.

Ok, how's this for a workaround.
1. Check in, check bags, verify docs with your international itinerary.
2. Book a domestic flight for the same day, from your same originating airport, on a refundable fare. (and get precheck)
3. Go through security on this new domestic BP
4. Cancel domestic itinerary.
That sounds like more trouble than just going through the regular line. Sigh. But creative.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:08 pm
Suspended

That's not exactly the hassle-free experience people expect from Pre-Check.

It's not going to change things for this trip, but I'd suggest writing a short note to the Inspector General of DHS (online webform available) asking why WN is permitted to only partially participate in the program.

Doesn't take thousands of people writing in to generate an inquiry letter from the IG to TSA and on to WN.

WN probably doesn't care because it doesn't value its customers, but maybe it gets a bit of notice.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I'd venture to say that it would only take a single HOUR of programming time for someone to fix this so that domestic connections before an international flight get TSA Pre.

They could make the legacy (domestic) system save the reservation so that it appears the same as a fully domestic flight to the OLCI engine.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:13 pm

How about for people who check bags at the counter and show a GE card they could be sent to the precheck line?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:36 pm
Suspended

GE cards are meaningless (although useable as a form of ID). Admission to the TSA Pre-Check line requires the Pre-Check symbol on your BP (if there is a line checker) and then the "three beeps" when a TSA Officer scans it at the checkpoint podium.

As the WN system does not support pre-check for international, you can't get pre-check and thus the symbol if you have international segments.

Period and end of story.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
I'd venture to say that it would only take a single HOUR of programming time for someone to fix this so that domestic connections before an international flight get TSA Pre.

They could make the legacy (domestic) system save the reservation so that it appears the same as a fully domestic flight to the OLCI engine.
Worth noting that WN was a holdout, approved for TSA Pre✓ well after other carriers. Could be using a makeshift system designed for minimum requirements while the Sabre system is mothballed. Sabre, inconveniently, remains under contract to be compensated through Dec. 31, 2016.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Homer15
How about for people who check bags at the counter and show a GE card they could be sent to the precheck line?
Post #30 provides an "official" cite about this, and post #25 provides for a functional workaround, as it were:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...rnational.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.