Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Within the 5s" - do you care? (boarding line up question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

I'm a few times a year WN flyer. Sometimes I even pay the $12.50. In any event, I've never been worked up over exactly where I am standing within my group of 5 between the two posts, but some people sure are. Does it matter much to you?
Old May 20, 2015, 6:26 pm

Some people are ridiculous and have insane expectations.

A lot of times if I have A40 or higher I just relax while all the As are all standing around and pop up at the end to board before the families.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
It matters to me for a couple of reasons. First, when I'm in the teens, the difference between my place at 16 and being cut by three people and boarding at 19 is often the difference between the exit row and not. Second, how hard is it to just line up in order? In my experience the ones who think it's "no big deal" are usually trying to improve their position.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Originally Posted by DoctorK
It matters to me for a couple of reasons. First, when I'm in the teens, the difference between my place at 16 and being cut by three people and boarding at 19 is often the difference between the exit row and not. Second, how hard is it to just line up in order? In my experience the ones who think it's "no big deal" are usually trying to improve their position.
I'm in the same boat. I am usually A16 so if there aren't many thru passengers or BS customers, I can choose my preferred seat. If I were A40 and A43 was in front of me, my first inclination is to think that it wouldn't be as big a deal, since the "prime" seating is normally snagged by the first few boarders. But, like DoctorK said, why not just line up in order?
Old May 20, 2015, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DoctorK
Speaking for myself (And I am unanimous in that!) if I am the first or second one there, I try and get "relatively" where one might expect to be, but as you know, that doesn't always work according to plan based upon body sizes, carry-on blocking the area, etc.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
Originally Posted by sleasure
I'm in the same boat. I am usually A16 so if there aren't many thru passengers or BS customers, I can choose my preferred seat. If I were A40 and A43 was in front of me, my first inclination is to think that it wouldn't be as big a deal, since the "prime" seating is normally snagged by the first few boarders. But, like DoctorK said, why not just line up in order?
Ditto. I fly about 100 times a year on Southwest covering 110-125K miles and most often board A16 or A17. My preferred seat is exit row on the aisle. So yes it matters to me. Someone holding an A20 flies a lot on Southwest and knows the rules. If they are standing in front of me they are most likely doing intentionally to improve their chances of getting their preferred seat.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:11 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Do you all walk up at the last minute and ask everyone or try and sneak a peek at there BP/phone and taking the approx. spot? Just asking because I'm still trying to figure out the best approach. I'm leaning towards waiting until the last minute and walking up loudly asking everyone what their position is and then sliding into my spot.

I hate having to do this, Lately I've been choosing Delta and their E+ option when available. $25 for more room, unlimited free drinks and early Sky boarding position, better than BS!

Last edited by ALARISstl; May 20, 2015 at 9:22 pm
Old May 20, 2015, 9:43 pm

It matters sometimes and some people to try to push the limits. Yesterday I was A-21 and when the GA called for the A group to line up he explplicitly called for people to line up according to BP order. I was A-21 There was a gentleman leaning against the A21-A25 post. I initially assumed he was A-20. I stated I was A-21 and he flashed his A-25 BP. He moved back and yielded to every higher passenger as far as I could tell.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Some people were held back for low grades in "put in order." I was able to ace "round nose scissors and paste" so it was not as important.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Some people were held back for low grades in "put in order." I was able to ace "round nose scissors and paste" so it was not as important.
Says he and his companion who preboard.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Yes, I care.

I get in order where I'm supposed to be, not ahead and not behind.

I'll bet those who don't care are many times the ones who will stand at the head of the 5s when they don't belong there.

Counting is easy. Numbers are on the boarding passes for a reason.

Yes, I care.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by mile ho
Yes, I care.

I get in order where I'm supposed to be, not ahead and not behind.

I'll bet those who don't care are many times the ones who will stand at the head of the 5s when they don't belong there.

Counting is easy. Numbers are on the boarding passes for a reason.

Yes, I care.
This.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by ALARISstl
Do you all walk up at the last minute and ask everyone or try and sneak a peek at there BP/phone and taking the approx. spot? Just asking because I'm still trying to figure out the best approach. I'm leaning towards waiting until the last minute and walking up loudly asking everyone what their position is and then sliding into my spot.

I hate having to do this, Lately I've been choosing Delta and their E+ option when available. $25 for more room, unlimited free drinks and early Sky boarding position, better than BS!
If people are already there, I just tell them my boarding number and ask theirs.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I used to always line up in my proper spot and hold my boarding pass folded so the number shows but not my name. People would walk up, glance at it, and then take their position. Usually.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
My philosophy is, if you think it's not a big deal, then feel free to stand at the END of your group of 5.

When I have A17, for instance, I just walk up to the "front" of the non-BS part of the line, and say something like "do you have A16?"

Long ago, I was once B1 on a flight that was completely full and I wanted to ensure an aisle seat. When I approached the front of the line, the girl standing there had B5 and tried to wave me behind her. She said "oh, it's not important where you stand, it's all open seating". I said "I'm glad you think it's not important, so you certainly won't mind being behind me."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.