Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

unfortunate reality of airline and flight consolidation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Just an example and sort of a rant about Southwest operations from a poster who usually is very supportive...

My wife was schedule to leave Houston yesterday at 5:05 pm, but by at least 3:45 pm, WN delays the flight because the arriving aircraft out of Midland has mechanical problems and the MAF -> HOU flight is cancelled. So, the HOU -> AUS flight is delayed to 7:30 while they wait on an aircraft that is coming out of maintenance. The aircraft finally rolls up to the gate just before 8:00 pm but the mechanical problem that was supposed to have been fixed actually wasn't. So, the lucky passengers get to wait another hour for an arriving aircraft to be repurposed to complete the flight.

Yeah, stuff happens. The problem is that she tried to get rerouted through DAL but all the flights to and from DAL were full. And apparently with such tight aircraft inventory, even one aircraft going out of service can cause major delays. Just more bad news when it comes to the unfortunate reality for passengers when it comes to no competition, full flights, and cramped seating.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:36 am

Not unique to Southwest at all, but agree this sucks across all airlines when an issue happens..
Old May 21, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
There is an insatiable demand for cheap flights.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by hazelrah
There is an insatiable demand for cheap flights.
WN fares have not been the lowest for some time now.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
WN is the only major US carrier that does not interline - put delayed passengers on other carriers when mechanical IROPS cause delays of more than 4 hours.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olouie
Not unique to Southwest at all, but agree this sucks across all airlines when an issue happens..
Correct - it does happen across all airlines. Just sucks when it's your airline...
Old May 21, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diver858
WN is the only major US carrier that does not interline - put delayed passengers on other carriers when mechanical IROPS cause delays of more than 4 hours.
Yes, but how often and under what circumstances will the other carriers put you on another airline? The original delay was 2.5 hours and her flight was not cancelled. I seriously doubt UA, AA, or DL would have interlined their customers in this situation. And, of course, flying from HOU to AUS, no other airline could have gotten her home in any timely manner.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: none
What was wife's backup plan in case the original plan did not go as scheduled?
Old May 21, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103
What was wife's backup plan in case the original plan did not go as scheduled?
The last flight out as standby. Worst case scenario is that she would have had to stay the night (on either Southwest's or her company's dime) and work a bit from the Houston office the next day before coming home.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Annoying, but any carrier which operates empty flights to deal with possible IROPS won't be in business for long.

It's always worth checking to see if there's a cheap flight on another carrier. If there is, while WN still doesn't interline, you are entitled to cancel for a full refund and can then purchase whatever you want. Walk up fares can be brutally expensive, but similarly cheap when there's space.

WN, of course also has the blessing and curse that it operates from fields which may be closer to town, e.g. HOU, DAL & MDW, but also harder to make changes in IROPS.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser
Yes, but how often and under what circumstances will the other carriers put you on another airline? The original delay was 2.5 hours and her flight was not cancelled. I seriously doubt UA, AA, or DL would have interlined their customers in this situation. And, of course, flying from HOU to AUS, no other airline could have gotten her home in any timely manner.
I have been delayed way worse by UAL, DAL And AA without any chance of being accommodated on another airline. Only time I got this done recently was when AA canceled a SJC-DFW flight which would make me miss my connection to LHR. AA put me on a direct SFO-LHR flight, but would not cover the extra $60 taxi/uber fee to get from SJC-SFO. Other choice was to wait another day and try again.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by texashoser
Last weekend, my daughter's flight home from college was delayed 3 hours by mechanical which caused her to miss her connection. UA put her on an AA flight. A couple of years ago my flight was cancelled for mech and UA put me on an AS flight. So yes, it happens.
Old May 21, 2015, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is where a good corporate TA with a 24/7 backup service comes in handy. They proactively monitor likely misconnects and rebook. You land with an email telling you where to head, including to a hotel if that's the situation. And if they don't catch the misconnect, a call gets the issue solved. No lines, no long holds and no arguing with agents from carrier A about reissuing onto Carrier B.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Is it official policy that WN will offer standby to an earlier flight if the original flight is late? I had one the other day where my original flight SMF-LAS-PHX (no plane change) was delayed more and more through the day. I gunned it to the airport, got standby at no charge for an earlier flight (WGA fare), got on a non stop that got me in to PHX at 6pm, compared to the 8:30pm scheduled of my original flight and 1:15am actual arrival.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
It is official policy, but unwritten for the public, so can be changed without our knowing at any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.