Wiki Posts
Search

Bike on WN

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list CP, IHG plat, Hyatt plat, United Silver, Hilton Gold
Bike on WN

Hi - So I fly southwest quite a bit, but I am bringing my bike for the first time. I know their website says $75 each way. I was hoping to avoid this if at all possible. I'm A-List so I'm not sure if that would help at baggage check.

Anyone have any experience?
Old May 21, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list CP, IHG plat, Hyatt plat, United Silver, Hilton Gold
anyone?
Old May 21, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Not really sure how you're planning to get out of paying the $75 fee here.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Take it apart and stuff it into 2 pieces of luggage?

What do you get for the $75? Do you get to roll it up "naked" and they take care of it with kid gloves for that fee? Or this there a boxing / crating requirement?

If you put the wheels into 1 box and the frame in another, completely sealed, would that count as 2 pieces of luggage? People check boxes all the time...
Old May 21, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Being a Bicycling Enthusiast, I thought I would check it out.

Looks like you have to partially disassemble it anyway, so what's popping off the wheels at this point? Trick would be getting the proper narrow boxes or cases to put the wheels in one and the frame/pedals/handlebars in another and use both as your 2 checked items.

"Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage."

"Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2012, for travel on or after February 13, 2013, the items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge. For tickets for travel before February 13, 2013, or for tickets purchased prior to December 15, 2012, the items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $50 each way charge.
Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hardsided case larger than 62 inches in total dimensions will be accepted as Checked Baggage. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or softsided cases will be transported as subject to limited release items."
Old May 22, 2015, 2:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by YoProWithAGoPro
Hi - So I fly southwest quite a bit, but I am bringing my bike for the first time. I know their website says $75 each way. I was hoping to avoid this if at all possible. I'm A-List so I'm not sure if that would help at baggage check.

Anyone have any experience?
I paid the bike fee once. I don't think it's avoidable.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by nsx
I paid the bike fee once. I don't think it's avoidable.
It can be if you have a small frame mountain bike with swing arm rear and want to pretty much break it all down into two items. And spend hours in the process.

A normal non swing arm frame won't be possible even with fork removal.

The good thing about the bike fee is it allows large carriers that can possibly contain two bikes. For those that travel together of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.