Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to guarantee A1 boarding pass?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by braddqq
Thanks all for the input! Are the "luv" seats the two seats in the exit aisle? If so, yes, that's why I want A1! . . . , if I am A2 and A1 takes it (yes, I've seen just one person take one of the two seats without someone with them, which makes NO sense to me), then I might as well have kept my discount fare at A42... it's a gamble for sure!
IMHO, there is no way the business class fare is worth paying for just to try and get the "luv" seats. Especially if the WGA fare is less than half the BS fare.
To each their own.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amicus
IMHO, there is no way the business class fare is worth paying for just to try and get the "luv" seats. Especially if the WGA fare is less than half the BS fare.
To each their own.
Well there are other variables like you get 4,000 more points, which is worth a future short flight, and helps toward a companion pass. Plus double points for southwest visa. Anyway I called southwest (whats with the hold times lately, man!) and he said it is based on who bought the business select seat earliest, not who checks in first. Obviously clueless.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
A Sharpie works.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Wouldn't A-List and A-List Preferred passengers holding BS tickets be assigned boarding numbers at T-36 hours, thus putting them ahead of virtually all general members checking in at T-24?
Old May 20, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Wouldn't A-List and A-List Preferred passengers holding BS tickets be assigned boarding numbers at T-36 hours, thus putting them ahead of virtually all general members checking in at T-24?
No. As noted repeatedly on this site, BS boarding order is assigned by check-in order starting at T-24. Status isn't a factor.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:26 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but perhaps the system has changed. If I buy business select, and am the first person to check-in 24 hours in advance, and it's an originating flight, would I almost certainly get A1?
I'm going for those two seats on a long flight, so that's my goal! Is my thinking correct here? I know it can't be guaranteed of course, but is this the idea? First come first serve?
Probably, even if you don't get A1, those ahead of you either grab the bulkhead, first few aisle seats, A12 or 11D/F. Buy BS, check in at t-24 and you'll be fine if it is for sure an originating flight.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:09 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by expert7700
OP asked how to GUARANTEE A1:

Corner the market for business select on your flight! Buy business select for you and 14 of your closest friends. Check yourself before your friends/family.
And when only two show the rest is refunded... Genius at work. WN has some exploits that could be abused.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
Probably, even if you don't get A1, those ahead of you either grab the bulkhead, first few aisle seats, A12 or 11D/F. Buy BS, check in at t-24 and you'll be fine if it is for sure an originating flight.
And it doesn't take connecting pax who had a head start at check-in.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Logically, yes. Southwest, no.

I once had a 3 hop SJC-LAX-BWI-ISP trek back across the US, all with BS fares. Only able to get 2 BP's at check-in due to their system limitations.

Late, all legs of course during the 2013 meltdown, no time to get the 3rd BP at LAX and when I got to BWI, it was past the time of scheduled departure when I asked for my last BP. I was told I was not checked in, Agent did something and out spit C35 or so. Complained and got a blue sleeve...
Old May 21, 2015, 10:18 am

Sort of an aside, but I have only once ever even CONSIDERED upgrading for $40 at the gate. The scenario was:

1. I bought the flight day-of, after T-24 (there was still WGA availability thankfully).
2. Checked in and received C-10, so I knew the flight was pretty full.
3. Flight was MDW-PHX (so, pretty long)
4. First flight of the day (no throughs)
5. I am 6'3" (legroom is a concern).
6. Gate agent confirmed on-the-spot (pre-purchase) that were I to pay the $40, I would receive A-1.

That is pretty much the only scenario I would end up paying (horrible boarding pass, long flight, no throughs, guaranteed A-1). In this one case, I went ahead and did it, so I could get the infinite legroom seat. In pretty much every other scenario, I would not be willing to pay the $40. Why are people so crazy about the seating?!?! Even being 6'3", I can fit in a regular seat ok. Most of the seats are pretty much the same! There is usually no real difference between A20 and B20. People get all bent out of shape over the smallest things.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by traveller001
And when only two show the rest is refunded... Genius at work. WN has some exploits that could be abused.
Try it a few times and get banned.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:10 pm

Thanks all for the input! Are the "luv" seats the two seats in the exit aisle? If so, yes, that's why I want A1! Call me anti-social, but I hate sitting next to a stranger especially on a long flight. If my wife and I can secure the luv seats for a 6+ hour flight (including layover), I'll gladly pay for that. The problem is, if I am A2 and A1 takes it (yes, I've seen just one person take one of the two seats without someone with them, which makes NO sense to me), then I might as well have kept my discount fare at A42... it's a gamble for sure!
Pretty simple concept, 11B&C are just as desirable a seat to a single as a pair. I travel alone for work and if they are both available I take one of them, usually 11B and the FA then stands in 11C and it usually goes untaken. It's the only row in the plane that guarantees you that even if someone is sitting next to you, they've got aisle space next to them on the other side to lean towards.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:04 am

So I just made A-List yesterday on my BS fare. So if I'm reading this thread right if I fly BS I still have to make sure to check-in at T-24 if I want to be A1?

If I fly WGA then I essentially don't have to worry about checking in at all because I'm automatically before all EBCI?
Old May 22, 2015, 9:33 am

That sounds right. For WGA, there may have been problems getting the priority check-in for trips booked before reaching A-list; others here may clarify how it is now.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Nirvana91
Even being 6'3", I can fit in a regular seat ok.
Ditto, and I'm almost always in one of the penultimate rear aisle seats (more chance of an empty row or middle on the always-full intra-California routes I fly).

(Based on what I saw aboard over the time it took to make A+ 3 years in a row I once speculated what people around here really meant when they claim they'd needed "extra legroom" and/or complained about the Evolve seating (which I also have no trouble with, even on long flights), and I got a lot of isht for it; let's just say it had more to do with "width" than "height" )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.