Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best use for an Standard Award expiring < 1 week

Old May 16, 2015, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Well, shame on me, but I lost track of the expiration date on my Standard award. It expires in less than a week, so even if I find award availability one way, I'd likely have to pay the AT fare on the return.

I'd be entirely game for doing a same day out and return tomorrow (Sunday), but very doubtful finding an acceptably priced itinerary.

Not entirely keen on the idea of throwing good money after bad, so just thought I'd see if there were any good ideas for how to use this expiring award.
Old May 16, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Day trip to Vegas or New York depending on which is closer (and/or available)? I've taken day trips just to visit a restaurant and/or check out a museum.
Old May 16, 2015, 5:25 pm

If you can't use it, do a mitzvah by calling the 214 CS number, let them know you won't be using it, and see if they can transfer it to one of their charitable causes that require last-minute flights.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alggag
Day trip to Vegas or New York depending on which is closer (and/or available)? I've taken day trips just to visit a restaurant and/or check out a museum.
I took a look, but any outbound/return leg from Vegas would be >$275 tomorrow. In the past, I know that some cities have still shown WGA availability < 1 week out, but I think I need to manually go through each city pair to find if any such fares still exist.

Originally Posted by smmrfld
If you can't use it, do a mitzvah by calling the 214 CS number, let them know you won't be using it, and see if they can transfer it to one of their charitable causes that require last-minute flights.
I googled this, but Southwest requires an award with 3 month validity in order to donate it. Still, I'll give the CS number a ring and see what they think.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:56 pm

use the map search function and it will tell you where the cheapest flights are from wherever you are leaving from then you can decide if you want to go to any of those places using the dates within the timeframe.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by JAShulb
Well, shame on me, but I lost track of the expiration date on my Standard award. It expires in less than a week, so even if I find award availability one way, I'd likely have to pay the AT fare on the return.

I'd be entirely game for doing a same day out and return tomorrow (Sunday), but very doubtful finding an acceptably priced itinerary.

Not entirely keen on the idea of throwing good money after bad, so just thought I'd see if there were any good ideas for how to use this expiring award.
Last minute day trips out-and-back to LAS work best on Sat/Tue/Wed/Thur & at this time of year are pretty wide-open. Not saying "never", but Sundays are an unlikely stretch....for many/most destinations.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:23 pm

If you are thinking a day trip to Vegas, Saturday flights are usually cheaper and with more availability than Sunday.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alggag
I have done the NY thing from MDW. First flight going, last flight returning; of course the latter was delayed 90 minutes and I had to sit on the floor in that hellhole LGA WN concourse.

Maybe call "Make-A-Wish" or some such.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do we know for a proven fact that expired awards can no longer be re-instated? Or is it just an assumption?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Do we know for a proven fact that expired awards can no longer be re-instated? Or is it just an assumption?
Has anyone had any experience extending/reinstating a Standard Award, lately?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:17 pm

I will soon find myself in the same position, and not because I did not notice the expiration date. It seems the standard awards have been next to impossible to use. There have been flights where I have been able to purchase highly discounted tickets, yet not be able to use my standard award.

The difficulty using the awards seems to be border on a breech of trust. This is a different situation than award seats on other airlines--which may be frustrating, but your miles don't expire as long as you keep flying. These awards do expire--so the very limited availability renders them close to useless.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby
I will soon find myself in the same position, and not because I did not notice the expiration date. It seems the standard awards have been next to impossible to use. There have been flights where I have been able to purchase highly discounted tickets, yet not be able to use my standard award.

The difficulty using the awards seems to be border on a breech of trust. This is a different situation than award seats on other airlines--which may be frustrating, but your miles don't expire as long as you keep flying. These awards do expire--so the very limited availability renders them close to useless.
Which is exactly why I let my "seed" credit expire and didn't create one last standard award this spring. I already had to "waste" my remaining standard award on a trip which would have been somewhat fewer points than the 19200 points I used to create that standard award, because that was the only trip on which I could find standard award availability before it would expire, and I didn't want to risk holding out for a higher-value trip that might not be bookable at all.

But there are no more standard awards being issued, so whatever the problems them are, they'll soon be a thing of the past.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But there are no more standard awards being issued, so whatever the problems them are, they'll soon be a thing of the past.
IIRC, mid-May 2016 is when the final SAs will expire. So, assuming no one will be able to call-in and extend their expiration, we've only got a bit less than 10 months.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby
Sorry to hear you are having trouble using your awards, however your experience does not match mine. I have found for my use (last minute flights) I have been able to use them frequently. two weeks ago I was able to book a flight less than 48 hours before departure using standard awards. They do however seem to be difficult to use to popular vacation destinations or around peak travel times.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Sorry to hear you are having trouble using your awards, however your experience does not match mine. I have found for my use (last minute flights) I have been able to use them frequently. two weeks ago I was able to book a flight less than 48 hours before departure using standard awards. They do however seem to be difficult to use to popular vacation destinations or around peak travel times.
For me, of late, the only available flights to/from MDW for destinations of interest are at 6 am or 11:20 pm.

Glad I did not top off 3 seeds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.