Bad Seat Experience

Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Bad Seat Experience

I flew FLL-MDW today. Since I had a high B boarding group was looking for a isle seat, I walked down the plane looked like even at the back end all isle seat taken but mid cabin I saw one and sat down. The lady in the middle seat (trying to be nice) had to weigh 300-350LBS and the fat on her body was spilling into my seat and she had the armrest up. Her body was actually touching mine. So when does become a issue, do airlines have any rule in place. Her husband by the way was just as large.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Apr 26, 2015 at 7:18 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: none
It's "open seating", so sit wherever you want.

BTW, she was there first. YOU sat next to her, not the other way around.

Did she actually "touch" you?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN has a specific policy on this. You bring it to the FA's attention (you can go find an FA if you want to be discreet) and let them deal with it.

An agent ought to have caught this at the gate, but WN can still deal with it onboard.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I flew FLL-MDW today. Since I had a high B boarding group was looking for a isle seat, I walked down the plane looked like even at the back end all isle seat taken but mid cabin I saw one and sat down. The lady in the middle seat (trying to be nice) had to weigh 300-350LBS and the fat on her body was spilling into my seat and she had the armrest up. Her body was actually touching mine. So when does become a issue, do airlines have any rule in place. Her husband by the wind was just as large.
Also could have happened with assigned seats.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I flew FLL-MDW today. Since I had a high B boarding group was looking for a isle seat, I walked down the plane looked like even at the back end all isle seat taken but mid cabin I saw one and sat down. The lady in the middle seat (trying to be nice) had to weigh 300-350LBS and the fat on her body was spilling into my seat and she had the armrest up. Her body was actually touching mine. So when does become a issue, do airlines have any rule in place. Her husband by the wind was just as large.
It is true - no seat is an isle entire of itself. Not even an aisle seat.

What did the flight attendants do when you brought the issue of your neighbor's encroachment into your seat to their attention?

If the plane is not full, they will often try to move passengers around within the plane.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: None - fairly infrequent flier
If she and her husband were the size that you indicate, I would think the two of them could have comfortably shared 3 seats, and probably should have been required to do so. However, as Allan38103 said, she was there first and you sat next to her. I don't see that either of the two previously seated passengers should be required to move so you, at at high B boarding position, could claim an aisle seat. I'm assuming there were other seats still available to choose from when you sat in the encroached upon aisle seat?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by NextTrip
Also could have happened with assigned seats.
True dat. I'm no small person and I got wedged between two biguns on a completely full Delta 767 a few years back. We could not all sit up straight at the same time. I leaned forward during landing and take off and asked them to recline once in the air.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: HH Silver
Reminds me of a woman who sat next to me on a flight recently. I didn't notice the arm rest was up. When it was time to take off, I tried to lower the arm rest. I kept pushing and pushing, raising it, and slamming it down, not realizing that it was hitting HER. I actually felt bad for her, she had a look of horror on her face, and just sat there staring straight ahead. I just left it up at that point. It was only a 2 1/2 hour flight, and didn't kill me, although I am uncomfortable touching people I do not know, and our bodies touched from legs to upper arms. If I had been in a sour mood, I might have made a fuss, but mostly I do not like to cause issues, and embarrass people. With what I consider a relatively lenient COS policy, I wish more people would take advantage of it.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:42 am

Reminds me of when I got 'stuck' next to a [COS] LAS-ORD on UA . So fat she couldn't put the armrest down . Plane was full,so nowhere else to go.Not fun.

Last edited by nsx; Apr 28, 2015 at 4:04 pm Reason: pejorative redacted
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by United_727
Reminds me of when I got 'stuck' next to a fatty LAS-ORD on UA . So fat she couldn't put the armrest down . Plane was full,so nowhere else to go.Not fun.
Yeah.

But SHE can always diet.

Last edited by Allan38103; Apr 28, 2015 at 9:02 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:29 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
If the flight is full, FA will/can deal with it.
If it is not a full flight, then they usually assume people are smart enough not to sit there.

And if you do it is your choice and not an issue with that passenger.

Complaining because you took a isle seat where the person spilled over vs taking a middle or window is not a valid complaint.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:21 pm

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Reminds me of when I got 'stuck' next to a fatty
Yes, let's dehumanize people for no reason other than that they don't meet our aesthetic standards.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by BerenErchamion
Yes, let's dehumanize people for no reason other than that they don't meet our aesthetic standards.
See how you like someone you dont know rubbing up against you for 3+ hours because they're too cheap and ignorant to buy 2 seats.

Last edited by United_727; Apr 29, 2015 at 6:39 am
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:21 am

See how you like someone you dont know rubbing up against you for 3+ hours because they're too cheap and ignorant to buy 2 seats.
Good god. Not everyone flies 15 times a month.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: WN A-List+/CP, Hertz Pres Club, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by trouble747
Good god. Not everyone flies 15 times a month.
When you're that big it's safe to assume that you've probably figured out from previous flying experiences that you should'nt be trying to consume a single seat..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.