Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SWA Customer Service can't look up reservations by RR#

Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat

So I called to change a reservation today, but I didn't have my record locator number. I asked her to look up my current trip by my RR# and she said they couldn't? I had to know the RR number.

This can't be true right? That's like airline 101.

The other thing is using credit, I'm supposed to remeber my record locator numbers that have credit?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by teCh0010
So I called to change a reservation today, but I didn't have my record locator number. I asked her to look up my current trip by my RR# and she said they couldn't? I had to know the RR number.
I'm confused. She couldn't look up your reservation by your RR number - she needed your RR number? Is one of those supposed to be confirmation number?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Whoops, typing too fast on my phone. Yeah, they needed my confirmation number. Is this accurate that they can't look up reservations by RR#?

Also is it true that I have to manually keep track of credit by confirmation number?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:56 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

They can't release a PNR to any old caller who happens to have the RR number, allegedly for security reasons. (There are security issues; it's just laughable that a company with virtually zero concern for online security or in-airport security chooses this one area to suddenly get hyper-protective).

Last time I tried something similar, the last four digits of the card used to purchase the ticket were required. Problem: we were out of town and the ticket was purchased on a so-rarely-used card (RR Visa) that I didn't know the last four digits, and I'd had no known reason to bring the card on the trip.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Whoops, typing too fast on my phone. Yeah, they needed my confirmation number. Is this accurate that they can't look up reservations by RR#?

Also is it true that I have to manually keep track of credit by confirmation number?

Yes it is
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

Unfortunately yes.

This is something I don't understand. If you have credit you could have it appear somewhere in your RR acct.

You can call and a customer service agent can and does dig out your only credit you have.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:51 pm

It is possible to have this show on an account. Airtran used to show the totla of all your credits and allow you to apply them to new reservations. First In First Out
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
It is possible to have this show on an account. Airtran used to show the total of all your credits and allow you to apply them to new reservations. First In First Out
Not good business for them if they count on a certain % of breakage every year...
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Not good business for them if they count on a certain % of breakage every year...
I guess they get some financial benefit in unused expiring credit, which explains the credit thing.

But the agent not being able to look up my reservation by RR# just seems like a complete failure of airline rewards program basics.

I call Delta, I punch in my RR# on the phone, and the agent answers "Hi Mr. NAME, are you calling about your travel to MSP today?" It's absurd to expect me to tell them my confirmation number instead of just memorizing my RR#.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Line agents cannot do this and the people who can aren't available to you. While there are many other security failures at WN, this isn't one of them.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Line agents cannot do this and the people who can aren't available to you. While there are many other security failures at WN, this isn't one of them.
How is it a security feature to require you to know you confirmation number to make changes to an existing registration?

Every other US domestic airline works off of FF# and then just asks you a couple of questions to confirm it's you.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: WN A-List+/CP, Hertz Pres Club, Marriott Platinum
SWA is frustrating in that way. I always have problems keeping track of my confirmation numbers that have dollar values attached to them. I probably have a few hundred valid flight dollars hanging around somewhere that I don't have the confirmation numbers for... I need to get better at tracking those for sure.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:42 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Can look up by credit card

The CSR can identify all unused credits by looking up the credit card.

Originally Posted by ERP Flyer
SWA is frustrating in that way. I always have problems keeping track of my confirmation numbers that have dollar values attached to them. I probably have a few hundred valid flight dollars hanging around somewhere that I don't have the confirmation numbers for... I need to get better at tracking those for sure.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: WN A-List+/CP, Hertz Pres Club, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ymx
The CSR can identify all unused credits by looking up the credit card.
Did not know that, Thanks! ^
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:52 pm

Airtran used to show the total of credits avalible. They could be applied first in first out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.