Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New FA procedure? And another reason to avoid electronic boarding passes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass

From aboard WN3304. Scanners at LAX gate 6 broken this AM. All pax with electronic boarding passes had to line up to get paper one. Also, flight deck person just went to head. One FA went into cockpit, another stood commando style at the bulkhead.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
flight deck person did what?

I mean what is to head?

Last edited by john398; Mar 26, 2015 at 3:19 pm
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:55 pm
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
Originally Posted by dlaue
Also, flight deck person just went to head. One FA went into cockpit, another stood commando style at the bulkhead.
This has been SOP for quite a while. In addition, I've noticed some airlines also have a FA put the drink cart across the aisle to block access to the forward lav.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:45 pm

The FA going into the cockpit may be new, I can't recall seeing that before. If so, it's likely a reaction to the recent Germanwings crash.

["Head" = bathroom.]
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:39 pm

Nothing new here, you have just not noticed it before.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
The FA going into the cockpit may be new, I can't recall seeing that before. If so, it's likely a reaction to the recent Germanwings crash.

["Head" = bathroom.]
Not new. They've been doing it for years.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Doing what? I still can't follow. I've never had a problem dumping my bag in the exit row and running to the bathroom (rear). Or the front lav when stuck on as a through.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Allow me to clarify.

In the past, when a Captain or First Officer used the lavatory, they would have a flight attendant step into the cockpit.

Today, in addition to the FA in the cockpit, there was a second flight attendant standing at the bulkhead with her legs spread somehwat and her arms on her hips -- the posture which said "you cannot get into the forward galley area." Clearly a reaction to the latest crash.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:02 pm
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
Originally Posted by dlaue
Allow me to clarify.

In the past, when a Captain or First Officer used the lavatory, they would have a flight attendant step into the cockpit.

Today, in addition to the FA in the cockpit, there was a second flight attendant standing at the bulkhead with her legs spread somehwat and her arms on her hips -- the posture which said "you cannot get into the forward galley area." Clearly a reaction to the latest crash.
It has been SOP for some time now. The second FA is supposed to keep folks from approaching the forward galley area.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:48 am

According to the news story I heard this morning, having two crew members in the cockpit at all times was already regulation in the U.S....?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:50 pm

I didn't know that… but it makes sense. I wonder if that reg wasn't in place with the Germanwings flight, or if it was subverted?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Yes, WN has been doing this for years. As a former airline employee, I tend to be more attentive than the average person (apparently).
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:16 pm

I think if you sit way up front it's a little easier to see these types of things. It's (a little, at least) harder from the exit row.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Darn- I had a long story about More Rewards and access but the page timed out.

Anyway, they have had MR open for non card holders. I burned 300k on MR in 2013 without a card and spoke to MR folks (not SWA) about it in 2013. They have opened it from time to time.

I actively trolled MR but didn't catch it open in 2014 for non SW CC holders while I was stockpiling points. I went for a SW 50k card the last week of December after a second call to MR asking about access. After the card I burned about 275k with MR on GC's. I'll be burning another 200k or so before the 17th- just in case. Access to MR seems to happen at card approval as I burned some before the card arrived. Now the card just sits in a drawer.

Suggestion- see if any non GC items are available from Amazon (or other GC reseller) first. Then get an Amazon GC(s)/Other and do it the purchases that way directly as the exchange rate is a better "value" in points consumed for items.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by ursine1
I didn't know that… but it makes sense. I wonder if that reg wasn't in place with the Germanwings flight, or if it was subverted?
The two people in the cockpit has been in place since at least 9/11 (if not before). The person standing guard has been in place since 9/11.

The two people in the cockpit rule makes sense--if the pilot passes out/dies/or there's a decompression and they can't get an oxygen mask on fast enough, getting back in is very difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.