Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Kentucky Derby VIP - 17 allotted for 200,000 points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Targeted?

https://www.1.awardhq.com/24468SWA0S...=KentuckyDerby

For the first time ever, your Rapid Rewards Points can take you and a guest to the Kentucky Derby! This thrilling package is available to you with points only as a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Credit Cardmember and includes:

Roundtrip air fare on Southwest Airlines® plus ground transportation to the Galt House Hotel.

Hotel accommodations for three nights at the Galt House Hotel with breakfast included.

VIP second floor Grandstand Box seating at Churchill Downs for the Kentucky Oaks on Friday and the Kentucky Derby on Saturday.

Admission to Ferdinand’s Ball, a fundraising gala featuring celebrities, live music, gourmet food, and drinks.

Welcome cocktail reception at the Galt House Hotel.

Cocktail party and dinner post Kentucky Oaks at the Galt House Hotel.
Roundtrip motor coach from the Galt House Hotel to Churchill Downs on Friday and Saturday.

Dates:
Four day/three night package
April 30–May 3, 2015

140 N. 4th Street
Louisville, KY 40202

Redeem:
17 packages for instant redemption
(200,000 points per package)
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Doubtful, I got it too and all of the others. Maybe just sent to the points rich?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Doubtful, I got it too and all of the others. Maybe just sent to the points rich?
I'm about 180,000 points short so toss out that theory
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OzzyOzzie
I'm about 180,000 points short so toss out that theory
Would it be feasible in principle to earn those points by the end of April? Suppose you flew WN every waking hour......
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:25 am

Sure, or charge up a storm on the CC real fast. But you need the points in the account when you buy, that was my experience with the Pebble Beach package last year.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I imagine this will go quick. Less than $3K value in WN points for all that is a deal.

Top hotel in Louisville alone is probably $500 a night during Derby Week. Add 2 airfares, etc. Bargain.

I am from KY originally.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:04 am

I got the email at 8:30 this morning.

All 17 available packages sold out in less than 2 hours. Maybe quicker because I didn't try for it till 10:30 am.

The one package left, which is by points auction only, is already at a bid of 300,000 points.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I imagine this will go quick. Less than $3K value in WN points for all that is a deal.

Top hotel in Louisville alone is probably $500 a night during Derby Week. Add 2 airfares, etc. Bargain.

I am from KY originally.
Hotels for Derby weekend are generally way more expensive. Standard room at the Hyatt is pricing at 1,200 a night. The Holiday Inn is 900 and Springhill Suites is 1,300. Most hotels require a 2 or 3 night minimum. This package was a fantastic deal!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chgo2AD
Hotels for Derby weekend are generally way more expensive. Standard room at the Hyatt is pricing at 1,200 a night. The Holiday Inn is 900 and Springhill Suites is 1,300. Most hotels require a 2 or 3 night minimum. This package was a fantastic deal!
Only if you wanted to go to The Derby.

The best thing about Derby Day is that you can shop almost alone anywhere in Louisville. Just be gone and headed out of town by 4:45. That will put you about 15 minutes ahead of the release of the crowd.

And, since this is an air travel forum, sitting in an observation area close to the airport you can see an almost endless progression of private and corporate jets taking off on their way out of town.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chgo2AD
Yeah, I was just guessing. Your numbers do not shock me.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yeah, my first thought was that's actually a reasonable deal for 3 nights at a good hotel plus 2 box seats plus food/bev extras. Shocked it took 2 hours to sell out...

I've done the Derby before, but did it the poor man's way: Cincy hotel + infield tix. Just once, it'd be fun to do it the luxe way. While I'd probably never drop $3k for it, if I had 200,000 WN points that would be very, very tempting.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've done the Derby before, but did it the poor man's way: Cincy hotel + infield tix.
Lotsa boobies in the infield, yes?

Wonder if this deal comes up in the future if there would be time to transfer in from UR or something to nab it? I would love to give this package to a relative, or my parents.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:59 pm

Very possible it could be repeated. They did the Pebble Beach experience two years in a row. I would mark your calendar for this time next year and have the points ready in advance unless the UR transfer is instantaneous. I regret not jumping on it too...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Yeah, my first thought was that's actually a reasonable deal for 3 nights at a good hotel plus 2 box seats plus food/bev extras. Shocked it took 2 hours to sell out...

I've done the Derby before, but did it the poor man's way: Cincy hotel + infield tix. Just once, it'd be fun to do it the luxe way. While I'd probably never drop $3k for it, if I had 200,000 WN points that would be very, very tempting.
If you want to do it again, let me know. You can stay down here, 100 miles just like Cincy, and I'll drop you off at the gate while I go shopping or play a round of golf. Picking you up will be dicey, but we will figure out something. Hotels here are $45 a night, but you might want to bring your own bug spray.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

Wonder if this deal comes up in the future if there would be time to transfer in from UR or something to nab it? I would love to give this package to a relative, or my parents.
, or mile ho.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.