Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Headphone policy during flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I have actually been bothered by headphones too loud.

Sometimes a lingering look helps. But, I have actually asked someone to turn down their volume.

As said above, some people should not be allowed to leave the house.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:28 am

Last night before takeoff, a guy was watching a video on his phone without headphones. While the FA was doing her seatbelt check, she told the pax to put on headphones or mute it. He turned it off.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:22 am

I really can't stand people that do this. On a plane or anywhere else.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trouble747
Some people shouldn't be allowed to leave the house.
That would be me. I am hearing impaired. I often forget to mute my computer and it is broadcasting to my seatmates and I do not know it. I watch using captions, so I am oblivious. And deaf. I guess that dual offense is a stay at home one.

When some one tells me my computer is bothering them, I apologize and thank them. Then I hit the mute.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere

Sometimes a lingering look helps. But, I have actually asked someone to turn down their volume.

Again me.

To compensate for my hearing loss, I must turn my headphones up very loud.

I guess I'll just stay home. I would not be welcome with you folks anyway. You probably would get PO'ed when I asked you to repeat something that I did not understand.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Originally Posted by NoStressHere

While on planes I don't think most people realize when the sound from their earbuds can be heard by their neighbors. Out of all the bad people in the world people who cause slight noise disturbances aren't in the top 1000000
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:44 am

The loud headphones dont bother me personally, I just cant deal with people that are listening to their devices through their speakers and not using headphones. I keep my Bose on from boarding until landing so I usually don''t hear much.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
That would be me. I am hearing impaired. I often forget to mute my computer and it is broadcasting to my seatmates and I do not know it. I watch using captions, so I am oblivious. And deaf. I guess that dual offense is a stay at home one.

When some one tells me my computer is bothering them, I apologize and thank them. Then I hit the mute.
This discussion is not about the far-less-likely scenario in which someone is unaware their device is making noise.

Again me.

I guess I'll just stay home. I would not be welcome with you folks anyway. You probably would get PO'ed when I asked you to repeat something that I did not understand.
There are many people in this world who have no qualms with listening to music and or watching a video, without any headphones whatsoever, in public (see initial post, which is what I was referring to). This isn't about being hearing impaired, asking someone to repeat themselves, etc. I mean feel free to show solidarity with this type of person if you wish, but you seem to be willfully misconstruing this for whatever reason.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Again me.

You and your Companion are welcome in my row anytime. Heck, I'd be honored to take the middle seat between you so that all 3 of us could join in the conversation if you can figure a way to make the logistics of THAT work

Those that are bothered by our conversation can always travel this way.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by OzzyOzzie
I was on a WN flight where some teenager had the volume so high you could hear it 4 rows up (coming through his earbuds). FA walked up to him and requested he turn the volume down. Thank you FA!
My last Delta flight was a redeye (LAX-ATL). One person in my row thought it was okay to watch her tablet without headphones. The guy in the middle seat tried to get her to stop. She refused. He went to talk to a FA, but was told "that's not my job". The FA even refused to give him headphones to fix the problem. The guy purchased the headphones and the woman refused to use them.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by trouble747
This discussion is not about the far-less-likely scenario in which someone is unaware their device is making noise.

There are many people in this world who have no qualms with listening to music and or watching a video, without any headphones whatsoever, in public (see initial post, which is what I was referring to). This isn't about being hearing impaired, asking someone to repeat themselves, etc. I mean feel free to show solidarity with this type of person if you wish, but you seem to be willfully misconstruing this for whatever reason.
Thanks. However, the some comments were of universal condemnation and did not even consider that exceptional cases might exist.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:47 am

Thanks. However, the some comments were of universal condemnation and did not even consider that exceptional cases might exist.
You make a good point; it is always important to take a step back and consider the unique circumstances one might be in that aren't immediately apparent on the outside.

Some people are just jerks though, and I would guess the vast majority of the time there's not a defensible reason to use a noise-emitting device in public without earphones.

(Personally, the excess noise from headphones doesn't bother me on a plane--it's understandable because planes are so loud, and I wear noise-isolating headphones or earbuds for that reason so I can't hear it in any event).
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
I do not think people even gave it a second thought about the hearing impaired however I am willing to bet it was just an oversight, thanks for bringing that to our attention

Now I am wondering are selfie sticks ok in flight ?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Captain ZZ
I checked the thread history and the only headphone policy I could find pertained to the use of noise canceling headphones on takeoff and landing.
Can someone please explain this policy of noise cancelling headphones? Never heard of such a policy.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Southwest's inflight magaine states 'please use headphones for all audio and video' http://paceco.imirus.com/Mpowered/book/vpco15/i3/p122

The only reason noise cancelling devices are listed as 'always allowed' is becuase they are battery powered and have an off-switch. A few years back, all devies with an on off switch had to be turned off with no exceptions. An LED light on a pair of headphones was a dead giveaway for the FA to reprimand you.

Surprisingly, in recent months Bluetooth devices are now allowed at all times. This means lots more options!! I can use my Plantronics wireless headset to listen to music or watch a movie if desied.

On numerous occasions I have politely asked the FA to have the passenger across the row, in front, or behind us to use headphones or mute their audio. I have never been refused.
The worst offenders are mothers with two kids who are too good to share a pair of headphones or a splitter. One mom was inconsiderate enough to bring an amplified battery powered SPEAKER with them. On a 5hr late evening flight.

Last edited by expert7700; Mar 10, 2015 at 11:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.