Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
This could just be a yield management thing. Maybe there are way too many speculative points bookings far in advance for peak days/holidays at WGA fares that end up cancelling. Variable redemption ratios would allow them to advertise 'no blackout dates / last-seat availability' without it really being so. Just jack up the WGA redemption rate on peak days rather than saying no.
I've been thinking this same thing but if this is the case I think they should just make a policy that all points bookings at the WGA level are non-refundable. by doing that they could continue to offer them at low levels but remove the losses caused by speculative bookings. I'm sure they thought through that though and must have decided that this way they can still claim "no blackout dates" and "no change fees." I miss when there were twice as many airlines. While I wouldn't say that it seems like every airline is a ULCC, it sure seems like that's where they're heading.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:13 pm

I agree any change at this point will be bad, but I'm not sure how this will be different than what is already in place. Current redemptions are based on the cash price, and that is also based on the factors described. Higher demand flights cost more and therefore require more points. How is that different than what is coming?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Despite saying that all seats are available on all flights, this is the latest little nugget taken from their media page. Again, highlighting is mine....

Points bookings do not include September 11th Security Fee of $5.60 per one-way flight. Seats and days are limited. Fares may vary by destination, flight, and day of week and won't be available on some flights that operate during very busy travel times and holiday periods.
Can you give the source/webpage where you found this? I could not find it among media releases - but maybe I searched wrong page.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by pirossalma
Can you give the source/webpage where you found this? I could not find it among media releases - but maybe I searched wrong page.
http://swamedia.com/channels/Southwe...-field?l=en-US

Halfway down the page under fare rules. Re-reading it over and over, I think it just applies to the sale fares?

Last edited by tatterdema; Feb 12, 2015 at 7:28 pm
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I'm just surprised that the booking system would actually be smart enough to handle something like peak demand variability on points especially if all the rumors are true about it basically just displaying a blue screen of death at things like redeye flying and luggage fees.

That said, I wonder if it's possible that this might be foreshadowing more fare classes like the ones that appear in the surveys. Stuff like no change/no cancel WGA fares in addition to the existing WGA fare class.

Last edited by alggag; Feb 12, 2015 at 7:33 pm
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by tatterdema
. Fares may vary by destination, flight, and day of week and won't be available on some flights that operate during very busy travel times and holiday periods.
We have already seen this with he lack of any WGA fares on some Thanksgiving dates.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by alggag
That said, I wonder if it's possible that this might be foreshadowing more fare classes like the ones that appear in the surveys. Stuff like no change/no cancel WGA fares in addition to the existing WGA fare class.
More likely than not, I think.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:49 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It would be in their interest if they could sneak in some fare classes that existing pax couldn't reprice to. As it is- it's difficult for them to lower fares close to departure because a lot of the inventory would just go to customers already on the plane repricing. It would be interesting to have a Southwest pricing analyst here to school us on what we got right and wrong vs. their strategy.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Most of the flights I'm on are full. I don't think they are having much trouble filling their planes.

I believe this is simply a strategy to obtain cash instead of points for the sought after seats (Fri/Sun, etc.) by making it less palatable to use points.

I'm sure there's more to it than that. But at the heart, I think that's it.

Now, as an A+er, I'm hoping that some relief will be given to those who have earned the status. The perks for A+ are really sad and need some updating and upgrading. Honestly, for the number of flights flown, more needs to come back our way.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
Why would a company put out a teaser for bad news? That would be the worst PR move of all time.

Except... Simple explanation for the lack of details in my opinion... They are testing to see how the market reacts to the $#@! news, and then will evaluate how much they can stick it to their frequent fliers. If there is a massive uproar, the changes will be mild. If there is not much resistance (i.e. "I will never fly Southwest again!") in blogs, newspapers, forums, etc then they will roll out less garbage.

Despite the billions of dollar profits, Southwest is constantly pressured to improve the bottom line... Whether it be getting rid of fuel hedges, trimming fat, adding more seats to 737s, keeping prices high. In one swift accounting move, they can weigh the risk of loyalty lost, change their program, and reduce their liabilities.

For the record, these changes are complete crap. The WN FF program already is trash, except for the CP. WN wants to complete in Atlanta apparently... They are doing a pretty good job at completing for worst FF program with Delta.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
My reaction reading this news was unprintable.
This.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:46 pm

It seems that they have already updated the "How to Redeem" page in website in advance: https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/how-to-redeem
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I agree any change at this point will be bad, but I'm not sure how this will be different than what is already in place. Current redemptions are based on the cash price, and that is also based on the factors described. Higher demand flights cost more and therefore require more points. How is that different than what is coming?
It's a factor multiplication that increases the effect exponentially.

If, right now, some flights cost, say, 2x to 3x more on certain nights for example, then you pay 2x to 3x more points. Cash and points fares are linked.

In the new scheme, you pay 2x to 3x more points, plus an additional multiplier on the points redemption value; i.e. 70/1$ regular becomes 80/$1 or 90/$1 (or more). Cash and points fares aren't linked anymore.

The effect is much, much greater.

Now… I suppose it's possible (but not probable) that Southwest will do the opposite, in effect "leveling" the cost of points based bookings.

Low cost fares would use a higher points multiplier, and higher ones a lower multiplier.

But this seems very unlikely.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by dfwgolfer1
Why would a company put out a teaser for bad news? That would be the worst PR move of all time.

Except... Simple explanation for the lack of details in my opinion... They are testing to see how the market reacts to the $#@! news, and then will evaluate how much they can stick it to their frequent fliers. If there is a massive uproar, the changes will be mild. If there is not much resistance (i.e. "I will never fly Southwest again!") in blogs, newspapers, forums, etc then they will roll out less garbage.

Despite the billions of dollar profits, Southwest is constantly pressured to improve the bottom line... Whether it be getting rid of fuel hedges, trimming fat, adding more seats to 737s, keeping prices high. In one swift accounting move, they can weigh the risk of loyalty lost, change their program, and reduce their liabilities.

For the record, these changes are complete crap. The WN FF program already is trash, except for the CP. WN wants to complete in Atlanta apparently... They are doing a pretty good job at completing for worst FF program with Delta.
It's not a teaser.

There isn't more information coming later.

The announcement includes all the info they are willing to share.

It's a new, non-transparent, dynamically-variable calculation, the details for which will not be known publicly, except through direct experience.

They're not running anything up the flagpole; what it is is what it is.

And yes, it's crap.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
2015: We're all screwed due to Southwest's Variable Change
That next trip to or from Vegas? Darn our luck, it'll requires one more point than anyone has in their RR account.

Ideas under consideration for 2016:
1) Save more time! You will be automatically booked on a flight to a city you do not want to visit. Failure to show will result in loss of your points and loss of ability to earn points in the future.

2) Choose to Redeem 25k, 50k, even 100k points for a Southwest Scratch Card (tm). Scratch this off to reveal what (low demand) flight routing, and (off peak) dates/times you are booked on for your outgoing and return* flight.
*In the event you DO travel on your outgoing segment, your return will be VOID to save shareholders money.

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 12, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.