Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Checked in exactly 24 hours before and got...B51 and B52!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked in exactly 24 hours before and got...B51 and B52!?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
There is also a big difference between checking in at T-23:59:59 and T-23:59:50.

Could be several dozen places.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:34 pm

At least you weren't the family of 7 I saw pay $40 each for every member to be A1-15...there were only 19 people on the entire flight. WN gladly sold them the "upgrade"...
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by HtomSirveaux
At that time of day, probably plenty of connecting passengers who got to check in at 24 hours before their first flight.
That is most likely the case...I have seen it happen quite a bit on their international flights due to connections.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
As others have said, if you're buying the one leg trip (MDW-CUN), everyone else who has a 2 or more leg trip to get to you (e.g. maybe MCI-MDW-CUN) has likely a 2 hour jump on your T-24 check-in time. At T-24, you are only ahead of the people that are non-A-List people flying the same one leg trip you are. Almost literally everyone else is ahead of you.

Your best bet is EBCI or paying the $40 if it's available for A1-15.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:46 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
There is also a big difference between checking in at T-23:59:59 and T-23:59:50.

Could be several dozen places.
The fact that the OP got two consecutive numbers indicates that he missed T-24 by half a minute or more.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I don't know if this has been discussed more recently but it just happened to me. I'm flying from SJC to ONT at 10am tomorrow. I checked in exactly at 10am on my mobile app and got B6. Are there so many people who either purchase the automatic check-in or are on the A list? I fly a couple of times on WN every year and this has never happened to me before.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I don't get the appeal of Anytime fares. Go big or go Cheap I say.
The AT fare is what our corporate travel portal would show. In competitive markets, it's the fare likely in line with whatever the legacy carrier is charging for a very close-in booking.

Of course, even if I can only expense the AT fare, I will happily upgrade it to BS on my own dime. I never really *want* to fly an AT fare.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by naumank
I don't know if this has been discussed more recently but it just happened to me. I'm flying from SJC to ONT at 10am tomorrow. I checked in exactly at 10am on my mobile app and got B6. Are there so many people who either purchase the automatic check-in or are on the A list? I fly a couple of times on WN every year and this has never happened to me before.
Nothing wrong with B6 if your didn't:
- Buy a Business Select fare (ties up 25% of the A Group, A1-15)
- Aren't A List or A List Preferred (probably ties up at least another 25% of the A's, so A16-30)
- Didn't buy EBCI (probably ties up another 25%-50% of the As, so A31 to maybe even A60)

I'm checking my daughter and her boyfriend in at 3:30 today (exactly T-24 on two separate devices) for ATL-LGA and would be happy with B6 & B7.
naumank and NextTrip like this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I nearly always pay for the early bird check-in these days. Yes, it's $15 each way but I don't have to worry about being at a computer exactly 24 hours ahead. Keep in mind "family boarding" is now after the As, so B-1 could have 70-80 pax ahead of you (60 or more in the A group plus all the families). I always pay early-bird if I know the flight will have "throughs," people who boarded at previous airports. Also, I believe early-bird numbers are assigned in order of when the ticket was purchased. Pax who buy their tickets months in advance get lower boarding numbers. The $15 fee irks me a little, but it's certainly cheaper than paying for checked luggage.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by naumank
Perfectly normal boarding position for T-24 if you have no status, bought a Wanna Get Away fare, and did not pay for early boarding. You will almost certainly get an aisle or window, whichever you prefer.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:31 pm

Just got my daughter/boyfriend B1 & B5 constantly refreshing 2 devices, I'll take it!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
I could not get tix on pre-sale for the Saturday Bobby and Phil show. But I always pay for EB and next year A list!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:14 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
Just pay the $40 at the gate--and it's always available, because the times I've done it, they actually give people duplicate boarding positions with others in A1-15, ie. 2 people with A5, A6, etc. ---it was confusing at first, but I guess WN's systems allow for it, at least that's what the GA told me
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by ohange
Almost literally everyone else is ahead of you.
This. Anyway, with CUN being a leisure destination there will likely be lots of groups sitting together (as opposed to singles taking just aisle/window) so you may have a shot. Look for 2 people who appear to be a couple sitting aisle/window of the same row and ask for the middle-- chances are good they will move over. On my last flight the very last guy on board ended up with an aisle seat that way (OTOH couple was two Customers of Size so he was not comfortable at all).
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rd3
Just pay the $40 at the gate--and it's always available, because the times I've done it, they actually give people duplicate boarding positions with others in A1-15, ie. 2 people with A5, A6, etc. ---it was confusing at first, but I guess WN's systems allow for it, at least that's what the GA told me
Probably wise not to shout this from the rooftops. Transfarency, this ain't

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.