Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Man sues WN for $49K, claims suitcase fell on his head

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man sues WN for $49K, claims suitcase fell on his head

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:38 pm

On of the many reasons I choose a window seat whenever possible and I am sure Southwest will be sending out a memo to its FAs regarding their role (or lack thereof) in assisting passengers with stowing baggage
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
No one should assist anyone you might get a shaft..

FA should have never helped...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:53 pm

The arrival announcement says" Please be careful when opening the overhead bins as items may have shifted during taxi, takeoff and landing". Wouldn't this absolve Southwest of any fault? Yes I know the flight attendants are supposed to check the bins but lets just say this bag shifted during landing and changed its position from the time when the flight attendant checked. Or lets just say a passenger moved their bag while in the air to make it closer thus a flight attendant did not check the bin.

What if the FAA instilled a new policy that as part of the pre-arrival checks the flight attendants check the bins to ensure that the bags are secured as safely as possible.

Sorry to say but isn't this a reasonable consequence of flying that you should be careful when opening the overhead bin. In all my years of travel I have never had any bag fall on my head as I open the bin slowly and then grab my bag with the two handles out of the bin.

I doubt Southwest will lose this case. When you buy your ticket you basically enter into a contract. There are dangers in any activity from rock climbing to skiing. Would you sue the Rock Climbing outfitter if a boulder hit you and almost killed you? Would you sue if a rattlesnake bit you?

My point is flying is safe but it has its dangers. You could sue if for instance if you got electrocuted by a faulty lamp because the hotel did not check for any exposed wires etc.

How could you prove that it was the airlines or flight attendant's fault that the bag was improperly stored? You have 300+ passengers as well. Do you go around to every row asking whose bag this is and try to sue the owner of the bag.

This person would be lucky if he got a small voucher and offer to pay medical bills but I highly doubt it would even come down to that.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by danielonn; Jan 27, 2015 at 12:59 pm
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by danielonn
The arrival announcement says" Please be careful when opening the overhead bins as items may have shifted during taxi, takeoff and landing". Wouldn't this absolve Southwest of any fault? Yes I know the flight attendants are supposed to check the bins but lets just say this bag shifted during landing and changed its position from the time when the flight attendant checked. Or lets just say a passenger moved their bag while in the air to make it closer thus a flight attendant did not check the bin.
This happened during boarding. The item was not in the bin. They were trying to shove it into the bin.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:19 pm

For those that didn't bother to read the linked article: The plaintiff is claiming that Southwest is to blame for allowing a piece of luggage on board that was too big for the overhead bins, which then fell onto the plaintiff's head while the FA was attempting to help the bag's owner make it fit.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
The owner of the luggage is not named in the suit. Reinhardt isn't seeking damages from that person.
Of course he isn't- his pockets aren't deep enough

I had a bag fall on me once; I just chalked it up to "--it happens" and let it go.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by kennycrudup

I had a bag fall on me once; I just chalked it up to "--it happens" and let it go.
Me too. Had slight neck pain for a couple of days, but I would never dream of suing. Just part of traveling sometimes.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by doctall41
Me too. Had slight neck pain for a couple of days, but I would never dream of suing. Just part of traveling sometimes.
That's true.

On the other hand, there are real injuries that can occur. I was a defense expert in a case in which a 40 pound suitcase fell and hit a woman on top of her head. She was seated and had a secondary trauma to her face. Compression of the cervical spine and fracture of a facial bone. IIRC, medicals were about $100k and she had legitimate chronic pain and decreased function. She would have traded her settlement in a minute to be pain free again.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:20 am

Of course he isn't- his pockets aren't deep enough

Presumably you can imagine that not every instance of a piece of luggage falling on someone's head (!!) is going to be harmless.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by trouble747
Presumably you can imagine that not every instance of a piece of luggage falling on someone's head (!!) is going to be harmless.
Yes, but the true nature of this particular plaintiff is shown here:

Reinhardt asking for $10,000 to cover medical bills, $5,000 for lost income and $34,000 for his pain and suffering.
The person referenced in AtlanticBeach's post (as an example) had real medical damages, not just out gouging the deep pockets.

... and TIL ambulance chasers read FT.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:24 pm

Are you sure the plaintiff does not have permanent loss of function or pain?

While I'm sure some plaintiffs are looking for a pay day others are truly injured. I'm not in a position to judge.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:17 pm

Yes, but the true nature of this particular plaintiff is shown here:

The person referenced in AtlanticBeach's post (as an example) had real medical damages, not just out gouging the deep pockets.

... and TIL ambulance chasers read FT.
We don't know the facts of what happened here. But the notion that one should only receive compensation for documented medical bills when injured by another's negligence is absurd, IMHO. Perhaps this plaintiff is just feigning injury and suffering for an easy payday, but we have no way of knowing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.