Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Action needed - unauthorized account access"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Action needed - unauthorized account access"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by catdaddy63
SW customer service called me later yesterday notifying me that my account had been locked due to unusual activity, sounded like they were calling quite a few RR members.
WN's corporate denial continues:

A spokeswoman for Southwest Airlines doesn’t report seeing any suspicious work of hackers
Thieves Hack Thousands Of Customer Accounts For Free Flights
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Maybe the spokesperson themselves did not personally view the activity

Anyhow, sounds like a password change around the airlines/hotel program logins is in order just to be sure...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:06 am

Location: “I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.”
Programs: WN
Originally Posted by lougord99
How do we know anything anyone on this board says is true?

Southwest does not like its employees posting here and so this person is not going to say anything that points to who they are. I think we should be happy that an employee is posting and either accept what they say or not as we choose.
I am willing to be verified, of course, for obvious reasons it would be with the understanding that I would remain 100% anonymous. As of course everything I post here is NOT officially from SWA.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:45 pm
Company Representative, Southwest

Programs: Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards
Hi All,

Southwest did recently identify a small number of Rapid Rewards accounts that appear to have been accessed without Customer consent. To protect these accounts, we temporarily suspended the passwords and proactively sent Customer notifications requesting a password reset.

We apologize to Members for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Rob Hahn
Southwest Airlines
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Thanks for the confirmation.

Did you ever consider sending out a similar email to A List + customers telling them it was necessary to strengthen / change their password in order to access the free WI-FI benefit in flight? Drove some people nuts unnecessarily....
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SouthwestAir
Hi All,

Southwest did recently identify a small number of Rapid Rewards accounts that appear to have been accessed without Customer consent. To protect these accounts, we temporarily suspended the passwords and proactively sent Customer notifications requesting a password reset.

We apologize to Members for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Rob Hahn
Southwest Airlines
Thanks for the official reply!

Just a thought: It would avoid confusion and suspicion of the validity of these messages if they were personalized to the customer's name and account number (like the Rapid Rewards Reports are).
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Thanks for the official reply!

Just a thought: It would avoid confusion and suspicion of the validity of these messages if they were personalized to the customer's name and account number (like the Rapid Rewards Reports are).
I for one will never accept as official any such notification unless I can confirm it independantly.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I would believe an email like this only if:

1) It contained ZERO clickable links and purposely told the users to use the browser of choice to access southwest.com

2) It contained a 800# (best case-Southwest's main reservations line) and reference # where the passenger could call to confirm the validity of the email.

Odds are, the passwords were stolen. not hacked. Southwestwifi (especially A-list preferred free wifi) has not always used SSL for logins. Therefore ANYONE on the flight could obtain a list of logins/passwords using a free program called a network traffic sniffer. This will also give them every single FTP username/password used, an login/form data for other unsecure (http port 80) sites.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:18 am
Original Poster

expert7700's points are very valid as well, and represent "best practices" for this type of message. Another red flag for me was the clickable link; although it did seem to call up southwest.com, I manually entered the url on an incognito window in Chrome just to be sure. A large call-to-action that included the 800 number / reference number combo would be great as well, but I suspect (and the reason I didn't call Southwest first was) that doing so would likely be a lengthy and frustrating process.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List
I got the same message in my email. I didn't see it until today. I did not click on anything from the email, but opened a new window in my browser to check my SW account. Sure enough, my account had been locked. I tried to change the password, but the answers to my security questions (which were correct) still wouldn't let me in. I had to call SW. They verified my information, then sent me an email link to reset my password.
I do not have very many points in my account, the bulk of our points are in mr. drooley's account. His account was not affected. I changed and strengthened the passwords for both accounts.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Eric Meadows
I received a very similar email from United. I ignored it because I don't fly United very often if at all. If I need to fly them I'll call their customer service and inquire.

You can always call Southwest Customer Service and inquire, but I wouldn't reply to the email or use any links in it.
Both UA and AA have had accounts hacked recently (as has Hilton). You may want to check this out.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ec-2014-a.html

Last edited by Bonehead; Jan 23, 2015 at 8:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.