Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did I actually have Early-Bird Check In?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Did I actually have Early-Bird Check In?

So it's been over a year since I've flown WN, and I don't remember the specifics of the EBCI process. My flight is tomorrow at 6:30AM. When I woke up this morning I thought I might have an email or something saying I was checked in and what my boarding position was, but didn't see it. About 9:30ish or so I went online to "Manage Reservations" and pulled up my itinerary, there was an option to "Check In". I hit the check-in button and didn't have to do anything else, it showed my boarding position as A40, I think it is - definitely A, which is obviously pretty solid. But I can't figure out if I was already checked in or if the EBCI didn't happen for whatever reason and I just got lucky. I have my email receipt from where I added EBCI to the flight. I assume since I got an A-position 3 hours after official check-in opened that I was probably already set, but having to (sort of) go through the check in process was a bit confusing. Thoughts? (As always, apologies if there is an existing thread this would have fit into, I poked about and nothing jumped out at me.)
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by William1865
So it's been over a year since I've flown WN, and I don't remember the specifics of the EBCI process. My flight is tomorrow at 6:30AM. When I woke up this morning I thought I might have an email or something saying I was checked in and what my boarding position was, but didn't see it. About 9:30ish or so I went online to "Manage Reservations" and pulled up my itinerary, there was an option to "Check In". I hit the check-in button and didn't have to do anything else, it showed my boarding position as A40, I think it is - definitely A, which is obviously pretty solid. But I can't figure out if I was already checked in or if the EBCI didn't happen for whatever reason and I just got lucky. I have my email receipt from where I added EBCI to the flight. I assume since I got an A-position 3 hours after official check-in opened that I was probably already set, but having to (sort of) go through the check in process was a bit confusing. Thoughts? (As always, apologies if there is an existing thread this would have fit into, I poked about and nothing jumped out at me.)
Did you happen to just earn A List and get automatically checked in, a decent side benefit?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
If you printed your boarding pass at that time, you can check the sequence number on the bottom left of the pass. If there is an R at the end, check in had already happened and you were just reprinting the pass.

The manage reservation screen still shows the check-in button, even when you are already checked in.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Did you happen to just earn A List and get automatically checked in, a decent side benefit?
Nay, I'm not that frequent of a flyer on WN. I've never been "A" at all though in the times I have flown, so I'm mildly excited about that (though 40 is sort of B-list A group, I would think).
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sigma1104
If you printed your boarding pass at that time, you can check the sequence number on the bottom left of the pass. If there is an R at the end, check in had already happened and you were just reprinting the pass.

The manage reservation screen still shows the check-in button, even when you are already checked in.
I will check - I wondered that about the check-in button, if it was just going to show regardless.

Assuming my EBCI worked as it was supposed to (which I'm starting to think it did) you would think WN would send something to reinforce the idea that a service of some value was provided, to get people to pony up $12.50 the next time they fly. (Honestly, if I had woken up this morning to an email telling me I was checked in, and had seen the A group designation, I would have been so happy.) (I know I'm probably too excited about the A thing.)
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Sounds like it worked normally. You still have to check in some time within 24 hours of the flight, but WN assigns EBCI, A-List, etc boarding positions before the general check in opens. I think it gets assigned 36 hours before the flight.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lost
Sounds like it worked normally. You still have to check in some time within 24 hours of the flight, but WN assigns EBCI, A-List, etc boarding positions before the general check in opens. I think it gets assigned 36 hours before the flight.
Aaaah okay, that makes sense.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:31 pm

Print your boarding pass (or view it onscreen). If you received EBCI it will say EARLYBIRD CHECK-IN in red and blue under the boarding position number.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:39 pm

IS EBCI assigned in the order they are purchased ?

For example, if I buy my ticket and EBCI today for a flight in July would I be assigned a better EBCI spot than those who purchased after to me ?

Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by flyer4512
IS EBCI assigned in the order they are purchased ?

For example, if I buy my ticket and EBCI today for a flight in July would I be assigned a better EBCI spot than those who purchased after to me ?

Thanks
Yes it's all about when EBCI was purchased. I always add it when buying the fare.

But remember A+ regardless of when they book are still a bit ahead of you.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001
Yes it's all about when EBCI was purchased. I always add it when buying the fare.

But remember A+ regardless of when they book are still a bit ahead of you.
Thanks, I used it on my only SW flight that I booked the day it went on sale and we had A24 and A25 for both flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.