Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New WN routes HOU-HAV, TPA-HAV, BWI-HAV?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
New WN routes HOU-HAV, TPA-HAV, BWI-HAV?

With today's announcement about the U.S. lifting the embargo on Cuba, will this be a market that WN takes on?

They could service it from international terminals in Hobby and BWI easily and Tampa is geographicay close to make it a short haul

Thoughts?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:50 pm

Given their lack of airframes and the mess of their international operations, I wouldn't expect a rapid response to the changing conditions.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Given their lack of airframes and the mess of their international operations, I wouldn't expect a rapid response to the changing conditions.
When you say "mess" does that also apply to SJU? Technically a doemstic flight.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Nobody knows for sure. They won't be lifting. Due to the restrictions. We will see what happen.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: LTP, PP
If they couldn't be bothered to make a short hop like KEYW work, another 90 miles should make a difference. Plus the international hassles...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
If they couldn't be bothered to make a short hop like KEYW work, another 90 miles should make a difference. Plus the international hassles...
Well, Havana is a far bigger city than Key West, so the two are not really comparable. Not that I'm saying these Havana routes are likely to happen any time soon.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by N830MH
Nobody knows for sure. They won't be lifting. Due to the restrictions. We will see what happen.
This. Everybody thinks a regular Joe US tourist can hop on a plane today, off to HAV. Until Congress repeals the law, that ain't gonna happen. Possibly not until after the 2016 elections.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ohange
With today's announcement about the U.S. lifting the embargo on Cuba, will this be a market that WN takes on?

They could service it from international terminals in Hobby and BWI easily and Tampa is geographicay close to make it a short haul

Thoughts?
Long overdue, bring it on.

BWI - HVA 1170 miles
HOU - HVA 919 miles
TPA - HVA 344 miles
FLL - HVA 255 miles

Compared to some existing SWA short-hops:

STL - MCI 236 miles
BUR - LAS 223 miles
AUS - HOU 148 miles
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:32 pm

Thoughts?
There has been no announcement concerning repeal of the embargo - that would take an Act of Congress. What has been announced is a loosening in the issuing of licenses to engage in Cuban travel. Those who obtain licenses travel via charters which have long been operating.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/...-fly-cuba.html.

Originally Posted by steved5480
Long overdue, bring it on.

BWI - HVA 1170 miles
HOU - HVA 919 miles
TPA - HVA 344 miles
FLL - HVA 255 miles
HVA is in Madagascar and has a runway only 3937 ft × 72 ft far too small for a commercial jetliner, let alone one that could make it the 8000mi+ to BWI/HOU/TPA/FLL.

CMW, HAV, HOG, & SNU are the airports in Cuba to where U.S. passenger aircraft routinely fly as S.A.C.s.

Airport codes matter.

Last edited by Indelaware; Dec 18, 2014 at 4:38 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Airport codes matter.
Your quote reminds me of this story, which I still chuckle about when I think about what happened...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/24/travel...-destinations/

Grenada != Granada
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Your quote reminds me of this story, which I still chuckle about when I think about what happened...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/24/travel...-destinations/

Grenada != Granada
I saw a guy interviewed once who intended to go to Oakland on a flight and ended up in Auckland.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I saw a guy interviewed once who intended to go to Oakland on a flight and ended up in Auckland.
And the problem with that would be..........?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
This. Everybody thinks a regular Joe US tourist can hop on a plane today, off to HAV. Until Congress repeals the law, that ain't gonna happen. Possibly not until after the 2016 elections.
Except, Joe US Tourist can from an American Airlines flight for years:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9428

Granted, the loophole is a chartered flight.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by CREN

Right! AA has operated MIA-HAV for a many years. This is where lots of Cuban populations who visited Cuba to see the families, leisure, and business, as well.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by CREN

And the Joe US Tourist in this case has to go through a process by which he certifies he's on an educational or government-sponsored trip. So my statement stands: Joe US Tourist can't just hop on the next flight to HAV. And won't be able to for some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.