Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest auto-checkin tool... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by djp98374
I think there is a fundamental difference if you created an app to do auto check in vs you doing this thru a 3rd party. You sharing this app could cause issues.
If one was using a script/plugin via a browser there is no way anyone would not know a human was not behind it.

I'm guessing hundreds of people are already doing this. Just not spilling the beans.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by traveller001
If one was using a script/plugin via a browser there is no way anyone would not know a human was not behind it.

I'm guessing hundreds of people are already doing this. Just not spilling the beans.
If anyone has one working for Chrome would you please IM me? I'm tired of waking up 6 AM most Sundays to check-in for my one way $479 BS fare to ensure a fair chance at the exit row at my connection.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by joshua362
If anyone has one working for Chrome would you please IM me? I'm tired of waking up 6 AM most Sundays to check-in for my one way $479 BS fare to ensure a fair chance at the exit row at my connection.
I have my first southwest flight coming up. its a 6am flight so i'm not looking forward to this 24 hour checkin. i only have a couple hundred RR points so not worried to what they would do to my account
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Poster

As a test I set up an email to process things, for now.

If you'd like to try out the tool, or to help me test it for variances in emails from WN, forward your confirmation email, in its entirety, including all forward headers, to... hmm. How to avoid spambots picking up the address if I post it here...

Well it's obviously a checkintool

And the email address is at gmail.com

If you can't figure it out, PM me.

Oh, and if you have already expired/flown emails, I'd appreciate a few forwards of them if anyone is willing. Especially for international locations. SW changes their email format a bit and I'm trying to account for all of them. It already reliably picks up all email formats I've gotten/flown since October (I've deleted older ones). Just looking to 'harden' it.

Or if you wanna actually try it... anything that's sent is added, and as long as it's in the future (not an already passed flight), and it will check you in. My GF is flying in to see me tomorrow morning. This morning it started the checkin process .07 seconds past the T-24, and had a boarding position .89 seconds after T-24. Not bad.

Edit: To answer the "why do you need my whole checkin email?" questions I'm sure I'll get - it's because that is by far the easiest way to process ALL the data. If you book a flight, and add [email protected] to your "also email these people" list, you'll be automatically added. Though, I'd advise against that, SW may catch on. So when you get your confirmation email, just forward it. So much easier than going to a website, and typing in all the info, possibly getting typos, etc.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by PointAbuser
As a test I set up an email to process things, for now.

If you'd like to try out the tool, or to help me test it for variances in emails from WN, forward your confirmation email, in its entirety, including all forward headers, to... hmm. How to avoid spambots picking up the address if I post it here...

Well it's obviously a checkintool

And the email address is at gmail.com

If you can't figure it out, PM me.

Oh, and if you have already expired/flown emails, I'd appreciate a few forwards of them if anyone is willing. Especially for international locations. SW changes their email format a bit and I'm trying to account for all of them. It already reliably picks up all email formats I've gotten/flown since October (I've deleted older ones). Just looking to 'harden' it.

Or if you wanna actually try it... anything that's sent is added, and as long as it's in the future (not an already passed flight), and it will check you in. My GF is flying in to see me tomorrow morning. This morning it started the checkin process .07 seconds past the T-24, and had a boarding position .89 seconds after T-24. Not bad.

Edit: To answer the "why do you need my whole checkin email?" questions I'm sure I'll get - it's because that is by far the easiest way to process ALL the data. If you book a flight, and add [email protected] to your "also email these people" list, you'll be automatically added. Though, I'd advise against that, SW may catch on. So when you get your confirmation email, just forward it. So much easier than going to a website, and typing in all the info, possibly getting typos, etc.
Just sent you a flown international from September.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:15 am

I was wondering about the email. So what you are doing is building a script that will extract all of the necessary information from the confirmation and then process the check-in at the appropriate time?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I was wondering about the email. So what you are doing is building a script that will extract all of the necessary information from the confirmation and then process the check-in at the appropriate time?
Yep. As the email comes in, it gets passed through a parser that HOPEFULLY pulls out the first/last names, conf #, flight times, and cities/airport data. Thats held in a database and another script watches the clock. Once a flight is close enough, the script wakes up, very precisely watches the clock, and does a checkin.

bon95: Thanks for the test email. It failed completely! But it does give me a starting point for tweaking the tool.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: HH Silver
You do realize that there are several WN customer service reps that read and assist on this forum, right? Just thinking that if you are trying to fly under the radar, this might not be the best place to post....
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by PointAbuser

Until they change the format of the confirmation emails... Much easier to write text parser code that simply parses the subject line for: <first name> <last name> <PNR>

And I doubt you'll get very many takers if you need them to send the whole confirmation email. It contains RR numbers and quite a bit of information folks shouldn't be sharing.

If you have a linux machine you can readily download source software that will do exactly what you're doing. I've set it up - haven't tested it out yet.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by normalone
Don't ask people for their thoughts and then rant when you don't like what they think.
True,

PointAbuser go ahead and let us know how long it lasts

I amsure they will send there own made up reseverations over to determine the site and then possibly block IP or something like that
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by texashoser
Until they change the format of the confirmation emails... Much easier to write text parser code that simply parses the subject line for: <first name> <last name> <PNR>

And I doubt you'll get very many takers if you need them to send the whole confirmation email. It contains RR numbers and quite a bit of information folks shouldn't be sharing.

If you have a linux machine you can readily download source software that will do exactly what you're doing. I've set it up - haven't tested it out yet.
Or assume I'm not already doing that and suggest I do.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by john398
True,

PointAbuser go ahead and let us know how long it lasts

I amsure they will send there own made up reseverations over to determine the site and then possibly block IP or something like that
Well, all I can say is I wish them luck with that.

I'm truly stunned at the overwhelming number of negative people here. There's "Hey you better watch out, this other site got shut down" and then there's the level of "Can't wait to see you get shut down, you dumbass" toned responses posted here.

Why do people on the internet so deeply care about what the hell someone else does when it effects them absolutely not in the least?

For those who want to make use of it, go for it. For those who are anticipating my apparent arrest for violating a website's arbitrary terms of service, well, maybe some reflection on your priorities is in order.

Hell, even if they DO somehow waste the money getting a subpeona to get records from google to waste resources to send threatening letters they cannot legally enforce, and somehow bend the law to make me turn the service off, because a few people unwilling to pay for EBCI ANYWAY using a service 'advertised' in an obscure thread in a corner of one of a thousand travel forums might have cost them $37.50... What the heck do YOU lose that you're so personally vested in this with smug "let us know how long it lasts" comments? Seriously.

Its that sort of crap that keeps people who've invested their own time in a project from offering it, freely, to others.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:46 pm

FT seems infested by two polar opposite types. Those who seek to maximize their own benefits using "grey" means. On the other hand there are those moralizing against others actions.

Some seem to accept the airlines actions as unasaliable, regardless of the ambiguiy of the conditions, (which is abundant with Southwest).

Sorry for the spelling posted from my tablet.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
FT seems infested by two polar opposite types. Those who seek to maximize their own benefits using "grey" means. On the other hand there are those moralizing against others actions.
My favorite is the megathread about AA shutting down abusers if they don't confess immediately to their sins. Lots of moralizers there and lots of deserving victims, with only a few in between. Plus the lurkers like me!

A classic post was the guy who claimed to believe that the bank would claw back his miles from AA after he closed his credit card with a negative point balance. Perhaps a newbie might have thought that but this guy had already admitted doing this with seven cards (presumably the 100k mile cards). Oops. He deleted most of his posts but I'm sure he never got the miles back after AA took them. As I said, AA gives you only one chance to come clean. If you don't, they won't waste any more time on you.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

Some seem to accept the airlines actions as unasaliable, regardless of the ambiguiy of the conditions, (which is abundant with Southwest).

Sorry for the spelling posted from my tablet.
I get it. I used to rant about line breakers, seat savers, the unfairness of SEB, family boarding of huge clans, the magical healing attributes of altitude, CP on CC and never flying, groups of prebaord assistants, people that stand in the aisle while others wait to board, people that are slow to get off, huge carry on bags and those that put both their bag and personal item in the bin. Now I just preboard with my companion and watch it all. It doesn't bother me in the least. I still think they are the scum of the earth but it does not bother me. Furthermore, I will not get on here and rant about the abuses.

Nope. I'm done. Finis.

I will continue to fly the greatest airline in the world. Never mind it is usually the only choice from my airport, it is still the greatest. They do nothing wrong. I've always been on time (except when I wasn't), never lost a bag (well, there was once), the web site always works great (eventually), I don't have problems with short connections (unless I accidentally schedule one), and the employees from the GA's, OA's, ground crew, pilots and especially the FA's are the most attentive to the passenger, friendly and beautiful people in all of the airline industry.

I am happy. I have my meds. That helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.