Wiki Posts
Search

Class action suit on EarlyBird

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:12 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by diver858
It has been a few years, my memory fails me as to the name, but there was a free website that would automatically check you in at T-24.
There have been several, both before and after EBCI. They were nice but you can see the basic problem even aside from revenue: If the free sites became very popular, everyone not using them would get a C every time.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by suranyi
I agree with you. However, in my case, I've pretty much decided to always buy EBCI. That's because I can't be absolutely sure where I'll be at T-24, and it's one less thing to have to worry about.
Same here. I don't need EBCI personally because I'm A+ but I usually buy it for my wife. We've decided it's worth $12.50 a shot to bypass the effort of checking in at exactly T-minus-24.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by nsx
There have been several, both before and after EBCI. They were nice but you can see the basic problem even aside from revenue: If the free sites became very popular, everyone not using them would get a C every time.
I just use an app that beeps 1 or 2 minutes before t-24, than auto fills in my info so all i have to do is click check in, love that Android App
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:50 am

I didn't read this whole thread, but I believe this is the root of the problem:

Southwest assigns ECBI at T-36. These are filled in order of when you purchased ECBI.

Now, if someone CANCELS their flight between T-36 and T-24, the first person that checks in at T-24 will get that cancelled slot. These are people that get in ahead of the other ECBI buyers.

Assuming their are no more open slots, then the next person that checks in will get whatever the last ECBI got +1.

I am 100% sure of the above and have personally experienced each of the above scenarios.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

More often it's an A-lister's cancellation, so someone who checks in starting at T-24 gets ahead of the top-ranked EBCI purchaser.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Anyone who purchases EBCI is a sucker in my mind. You are just basically throwing away 25 dollars that can better be used elsewhere. Southwest loves this revenue grab for sure and a lawsuit is silly, if you think it is a ripoff then don't buy the product. But don't sue. No offense to all of y'all who do buy EBCI but I think it is a colossal waste of money.

Really, aside from the longest routes like SAN-BWI and other almost transcons despite what some may feel here on FT but sitting in a middle seat for a couple of hours never hurt nobody. Even on a transcon I would still take my chances. Besides, aisle or window doesn't guarantee comfort. Flew once PHX to ELP last year on thanksgiving day, completely full flight, I had the aisle but the middle pax was pretty hefty. Was cramped and uncomfortable but no harm done it was a short flight. Besides, a middle on a transcon might not be so bad, just grab a middle seat between two skinny people for maximum room.

I never do EBCI naturally, the worst boarding position I have ever had while checking in close to T-24 was probably like B40 something. Always have been able to get an aisle or window. I have a smartphone so I can check in basically at any time. Not right at T-24 even, sometimes T-22 or so and still get decent seats.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Anyone who purchases EBCI is a sucker in my mind. You are just basically throwing away 25 dollars that can better be used elsewhere. Southwest loves this revenue grab for sure and a lawsuit is silly, if you think it is a ripoff then don't buy the product. But don't sue. No offense to all of y'all who do buy EBCI but I think it is a colossal waste of money.

Really, aside from the longest routes like SAN-BWI and other almost transcons despite what some may feel here on FT but sitting in a middle seat for a couple of hours never hurt nobody. Even on a transcon I would still take my chances. Besides, aisle or window doesn't guarantee comfort. Flew once PHX to ELP last year on thanksgiving day, completely full flight, I had the aisle but the middle pax was pretty hefty. Was cramped and uncomfortable but no harm done it was a short flight. Besides, a middle on a transcon might not be so bad, just grab a middle seat between two skinny people for maximum room.

I never do EBCI naturally, the worst boarding position I have ever had while checking in close to T-24 was probably like B40 something. Always have been able to get an aisle or window. I have a smartphone so I can check in basically at any time. Not right at T-24 even, sometimes T-22 or so and still get decent seats.
I generally travel with my family. I must have two seats together so the child can be by an adult and would very much prefer to have three seats together. I can't take a chance on being one of the last to board, and having only scattered middle seats to choose from.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by suranyi
I generally travel with my family. I must have two seats together so the child can be by an adult and would very much prefer to have three seats together. I can't take a chance on being one of the last to board, and having only scattered middle seats to choose from.
Family boarding - after A, before B still works for you.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
sitting in a middle seat for a couple of hours never hurt nobody. Even on a transcon I would still take my chances. Besides, aisle or window doesn't guarantee comfort.
And would you mind telling us your height?

With me, I want early boarding on Southwest not to choose between aisle, window, and middle seat, but to try (as a taller person) to get any seat (aisle, window, or middle seat) in a bulkhead or exit row.

But of course, that may not matter to shorter person, and something else may matter more to them.

And to still other people, being near the front of the plane so they can get off first is what matters most.

So please stop assuming everyone is the same (and thus chooses seats the same way and for the same reason). You know, like the ads say, "be together, not the same".
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:20 pm

Perhaps the lawsuit will force some fairly easy fixes that would seemingly make EBCI purchasers happy:

1. Don't recycle boarding numbers

2. Limit the amount of EBCI's sold per flight.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Don't know why either would make any thinking EBCI purchaser happier than they were before those possible changes.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Don't know why either would make any thinking EBCI purchaser happier than they were before those possible changes.
Really?

Not recycling positions would mean that, ostensibly, anyone in line in front of you would either have status, bought BS (or paid $40 at the gate), or -- most importantly -- also bought EBCI. It would level the playing field.

A limit on the number sold would mean that, if you were able to buy EBCI, you would receive a tangible benefit. You wouldn't be paying a fee and find yourself still in the C group.

These two changes would eliminate the majority of EBCI complaints now, and going forward, IMHO.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Those may be complaints, but they are meaningless IMO. The number of people who luck into a cancelled A position is minimal and most importantly, regardless of how many are sold, you get a better position with EBCI than without. That is the reason I always purchase EBCI for my wife and board with her.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:35 pm

The number of people who luck into a cancelled A position is minimal and most importantly, regardless of how many are sold, you get a better position with EBCI than without.
If there's a factual basis for that notion, it's very well concealed.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:58 pm

Those may be complaints, but they are meaningless IMO. The number of people who luck into a cancelled A position is minimal and most importantly, regardless of how many are sold, you get a better position with EBCI than without. That is the reason I always purchase EBCI for my wife and board with her.
I don't find them meaningless, and based on the frequency of Facebook complaints I see about this very issue I'd venture that the number of SEB's is significant.

Unfortunately, it's not always true that "you get a better position with EBCI than without" when the re-allocation of positions means that some people get a better position without EBCI than those that purchased it on the very same flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.