Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

JetBlue cutting leg room, adding bag fee, changing ticketing... Will WN change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue cutting leg room, adding bag fee, changing ticketing... Will WN change?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevada1K

Someone in SWA's marketing department appears to have been on top of this. Their home page tonight leads with "Bags Fly Free for all only at Southwest."

+1 WN really stands out now... they'd have to be stupid to give up their position of ACTUALLY being the most friendly airline to passengars
Ah so now that makes sense. It is needling Jet Blue.

Smisek of course is undeniably the worst.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by alggag
I would expect assigned seating (for a fee of course) and some type of change fee to come before bag fees. Considering how heavily WN has pushed the whole we don't charge for bags angle they would get way more fallout versus what B6 is getting. I know that some of the WN surveys have suggested a sort of WGA lite fare class is being considered that features change fees and such, I wonder if that might come up again in the near future.
While I *LUV* Southwest for their limited number of fees, and hope that they keep no bag fees and no change fees forever, I personally would rather pay for bag #2 than pay a change fee. For me, I enjoy being able to re-price my tickets and be able to adjust my schedule after purchase without change fees. Just my opinion.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by FCfree
While I *LUV* Southwest for their limited number of fees, and hope that they keep no bag fees and no change fees forever, I personally would rather pay for bag #2 than pay a change fee. For me, I enjoy being able to re-price my tickets and be able to adjust my schedule after purchase without change fees. Just my opinion.
And its a good opinion.

As the divide between WN and the rest of the industry widens, its going to be harder and harder not to succumb to investor pressure like JetBlue did, IMO.

I hope not but we've seen WN is NOT above doing something sneaky like adding so many flights WITHOUT corresponding capacity that it inconvenienced a nation for almost a year!

Last edited by joshua362; Nov 22, 2014 at 11:29 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Nevada1K
Someone in SWA's marketing department appears to have been on top of this. Their home page tonight leads with "Bags Fly Free for all only at Southwest."
Funny how marketing IT is so quick to change something yet operationally (password fiasco) they can ignore something and not feel guilty about it...
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by alggag
I would expect assigned seating (for a fee of course) and some type of change fee to come before bag fees. Considering how heavily WN has pushed the whole we don't charge for bags angle they would get way more fallout versus what B6 is getting. I know that some of the WN surveys have suggested a sort of WGA lite fare class is being considered that features change fees and such, I wonder if that might come up again in the near future.
Assigned seating would be a game changer for me, even if I had to pay. But this simply can not be mixed with the existing system (w/o some huge cost like placing "reserved seat" cards).

Bags do not matter for me, would not check even if free. I travel with a backpack and very small laptop bag.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few years ago, GK said that "bags fly free" resulted in several hundred million dollars of additional revenue for Southwest - passengers that chose to fly WN instead of the "bags cost lots of $$$" competition.

I can't imagine that the incremental passengers attracted by "bags fly free" didn't bring with them a plethora of checked bags. Why would "bags fly free" attract significant numbers of "carry-on only" passengers?

If GK's claim was honest, then WN most certainly was carrying more checked bags per passenger than before the legacies began charging for bags.

Lately, WN has been attracting the same domestic fares as the legacy competition, based on the DOT fare data (from a 10% sample of domestic fares between city-pairs). That tells me that WN is leaving a few hundred million dollars on the table, because the legacies are getting the same domestic fares PLUS the checked bag fees.

"Bags fly free" will cause "kitchen-sink" travelers to choose WN over the legacies, but WN isn't getting paid for those bags. Egalitarian policies might make people feel good, but they may not be economically rational or the most profitable. WN's bizarre attempts to monetize early boarding privileges has gutted its long-standing policies of "everyone's equal," so assigned seating/extra legroom seating for additional $$$ might as well be adopted if WN wishes to compete.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Isn't it possible that a higher load of checked bags is actually good for WN? I think of the standard fiasco that is boarding a legacy mainline jet, everybody carrying on the kitchen sink and trying to fit it into overhead bins. Inevitably, there's more time spent by people looking for places to stow bags far away from their seat, and then time at the end gate-checking bags after there's no hope of getting them into overhead bins at all.

WN doesn't seem to have this fiasco...at least not that I've ever seen. I spend most of my WN flights in Row 17 or 18 (regardless of my BP number), so I would think I'd see the gate-checking in the C group if that was happening. A little jockeying for optimal bin space here and there, but never a case where 10-20 bags have to get tagged and sent down below 2 minutes before pushback. That happens on US Airways all the time.

Thus, if the rampers can keep up, and passengers can stow fewer carry-ons and get into their seats more quickly, WN can turn around planes faster than a legacy can. Seems like that's good for business...
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
Isn't it possible that a higher load of checked bags is actually good for WN? I think of the standard fiasco that is boarding a legacy mainline jet, everybody carrying on the kitchen sink and trying to fit it into overhead bins. Inevitably, there's more time spent by people looking for places to stow bags far away from their seat, and then time at the end gate-checking bags after there's no hope of getting them into overhead bins at all.
IMHO, you're working double-time to rationalize WN's choice.

Turns can be faster (and there's a value to that in higher aircraft utilization - planes at the gate don't make money), but carrying weight on an aircraft isn't free (and FWAAA argues that heavy packers will disproportionately be attracted to WN). Labor to load and unload bags isn't free, either.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:47 pm

Cranky has some more information on JetBLue Changes
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
IMHO, you're working double-time to rationalize WN's choice.
Well, I didn't really work *that* hard.

Turns can be faster (and there's a value to that in higher aircraft utilization - planes at the gate don't make money), but carrying weight on an aircraft isn't free (and FWAAA argues that heavy packers will disproportionately be attracted to WN). Labor to load and unload bags isn't free, either.
Well, airfare isn't free either. We've paid for checked bags as part of our fares since the dawn of commercial aviation. And heavy packers have probably *already* been attracted to WN for a few years now, as their biggest competition nationwide is the Legacy-3 oligopoly, not JetBlue.

Would it shock me if WN want to a 1-checked-bag policy? No. They could still run their "Bag Flies Free" commercials and frankly, one 50-lb bag per traveler would likely satisfy 90% of their passengers. I'm just saying there are *some* advantages to not having the carry-on free-for-all that you see on the legacies.

Even at the very start of the baggage fees a few years back, I was understanding of and supportive of the idea that people can fly with less stuff, reducing fuel usage across the industry to the benefit of all. I naively thought competition might lead to a one 20-kg bag per person middle ground. Then I realized that the lack of competition just leads to higher airfares, higher fees, and really nothing good for the passenger.

So yes, I kind of hope WN keeps the "free" bags, both for flights when I want to check bags and for flights where I just want a sane boarding process.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Even at the very start of the baggage fees a few years back, I was understanding of and supportive of the idea that people can fly with less stuff, reducing fuel usage across the industry to the benefit of all.
143 people, each with an extra max 50-pound checked bag, means 7150 pounds at most. Fully loaded 737 is something like 142000 pounds.

5% absolute max, usually more like 2%. Drop in the bucket fuel-wise.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:29 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Isn't it possible that a higher load of checked bags is actually good for WN? I think of the standard fiasco that is boarding a legacy mainline jet, everybody carrying on the kitchen sink and trying to fit it into overhead bins.
Absolutely. The overhead bins already fill up on some flights. With bag fees they would fill on practically every flight, causing 5 to 10 minutes' delay per flight. That's a serious reduction in efficiency.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Or the ridiculous practice of US that anyone with a boarding pass in zone 4 or higher must check their bags at the gate, regardless of whether the bins are full or not.

Last edited by lougord99; Nov 24, 2014 at 5:45 pm
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by joshua362
I hope not but we've seen WN is NOT above doing something sneaky like adding so many flights WITHOUT corresponding capacity that it inconvenienced a nation for almost a year!
I'm still not over that one. Makes me mad when I think about it, especially because they let it go on so long. Shameful.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:55 am

I do not see how WN could charge for bags without upgrading their product.

No 'economy-plus' seats. No first or business class. Fares that are certainly not the lowest in many cases. No assigned seats. Paying extra for early-bird or checking in exactly at T-24 to avoid middle seats.

No change fees is very nice. No stand-by on the day of the flight is very un-nice.

Just my 2 cents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.