Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

$5 option for a 19200 point Standard Award for travel as late as 5/2016 (was 10/2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$5 option for a 19200 point Standard Award for travel as late as 5/2016 (was 10/2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:46 pm

I transferred points to my A+ Account and it worked fine almost immediate. I have one flight tomorrow I want to get that credit before I transfer back. If it doesn't show up almost immediately I'll transfer some more points and let the credit show up as points.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Last chance: $5 option for a 19200 point Standard Award for travel as late as 10/2016

Thanks OP - did it for myself

How to get 300 cheap points into spouse/child accounts? I only see 2k transfer option. Worth it to preserve this option?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I remember multiple years ago when there was no issue with booking a reward ticket-if a seat is available it is yours! Then they changed it. But availability was still good, comparable to any other airline.
Have they changed it again to have less availability with reward vouchers?
It was last seat, which was spectacular. Even after the changed it was very, very good. Seems to me that once they switched to points, the algorithm took a change for the worse and gradually declined to the horribleness and unpredictability it is today.

But this seems vary from person to person here so take it with a YMMV, my experience is to/from ISP where the flights have easily been cut back by 50%+ since 2011...

Still didn't stop me from creating 4 more...
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by sosewso
TRIED AGAIN!!! Using Mozilla and it worked, except I lost the first .25 / 300 miles. I'm going to email them
Going beyond this is probably not worth your time. If they make it right, you will simply then have .5 credits.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Two questions for nsx (or anyone else).

1. So if I seed 0.25 credits, I can fund the rest 15.75 required for a standard award, any time within a year, with RR points in my account, right?

2. It looks like standard awards are meant for round trip, not one-way, is that right? Can I have an open jaw?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:49 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by italdesign
Two questions for nsx (or anyone else).

1. So if I seed 0.25 credits, I can fund the rest 15.75 required for a standard award, any time within a year, with RR points in my account, right?
Absolutely.

Originally Posted by italdesign
2. It looks like standard awards are meant for round trip, not one-way, is that right? Can I have an open jaw?
Standard Awards are bookable as two completely independent one-way trips, an even more generous proposition than just an open jaw. They don't have to be for the same passenger, and they don't have to include a common city.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:01 am

Some more questions - if I have a standard award available in my account, can I use it to book a flight for my wife, and then use her companion pass (assigned to me) to book a free flight for myself?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Has WN stated that we will be able to top off our seed until Oct. 31, 2015, or are we just assuming?

Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
Some more questions - if I have a standard award available in my account, can I use it to book a flight for my wife, and then use her companion pass (assigned to me) to book a free flight for myself?
If there is availability for the Award and an empty extra seal for her.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ftnoob
Standard Awards are bookable as two completely independent one-way trips, an even more generous proposition than just an open jaw. They don't have to be for the same passenger, and they don't have to include a common city.
Awesome! Love the flexibility.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Has WN stated that we will be able to top off our seed until Oct. 31, 2015, or are we just assuming?
As far as I know there has not been an announcement but there have been acknowledgements that credits may still be used and created. One of the announcements about integration of A+ and RR had some language to that effect.

At this point I assume that Southwest is going to allow all credits to be used or simply expire. If they don't I would expect to see a conversion of credits to points.

In any event if you only have .25 Credit it's not a big loss and worth the risk. I don't plan on topping off my seed until I need it or late October 2015, if I haven't used it.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
Yes.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by joshua362
This is not my experience, I gotten few day out availability with nothing but AT fares available on a complete sellout. I've also been shutout in advance with very low WGA fares available. I contend that there is no rhyme or reason how SA's are offered and probably varies greatly for every city...
AWhen I have looked it seems the times you have slots to use it is when the fare price is lower.

As I said in my las sentence--you can see some availability for last minute tickets. At that time wanna get aways are inflated or unavailable.---but you might get a spot for the voucher. But its not something I would rely upon.

Yes there are numerous other factors at play in it and its availability.

For example WN may restrict them being available on nonstop flights but will have them on connections.You could see similar priced flights but some have spots and some dont---if there is a connection in this then there may be another factor going on or the number they had sold out for this flight.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Useful to have a few of these Standard Awards in pocket and a seed ready. For example, I just found out that my son has school off tomorrow. The thought occurred to fly to LGA with him for a couple days.

9 different flights MDW-LGA are available tomorrow for a one-way Standard Award. For cash, $424 AT.

9600 points, as discussed many times, worth about $137 otherwise.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
That is great, have a fun trip. May have to suffer and use LGA for SA's instead of ISP, seems (paradoxically) to have better availability there...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:38 pm
73G

Programs: WN CP & A-List; Hertz 5*
Thank you nsx for reminding us to seed friends/family account. I did this and noticed that some are nearing points expiration (no activity in close to 24 months). When I did the seed credit through Airtran back to WN, the "last activity" date then changed to... not Oct 2014, but to Oct 2013, one year old. This probably reflects the life of the newly generated 0.25 seed credit.

Which got me thinking -- when the Airtran to WN credit to points conversion is done sometime in November, it may... or may not... update the Last activity date to something more current. If it does, it's a nice bonus for points in little used accounts. If it doesn't, then it doesn't hurt anything.

So, basically, after doing the 0.25 credit seed, I also pushed another 300 WN points to Airtran hoping they will bump up the last activity date in these infrequently used accounts.

Better be quick... there's only 24 hours left to finish all the transfer games!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.