Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN reports most recent quarterly financials

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by joshua362
Gate upgrades are considered a significant source of revenue for WN? How many people really buy these? This has got to be the greatest deflection in financial doublespeak history and got to be masking something bigger. Misdirection as GOB would say...
I have not heard the $40 upgrade being announced by the gate agent staff in quite some time.

But for the small sign, there seems to be no effort to sell this.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by dlaue
I have not heard the $40 upgrade being announced by the gate agent staff in quite some time.

But for the small sign, there seems to be no effort to sell this.
Time for another memo to all of the Gate Agents. But they still have those stupid little signs.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:22 am

Gate upgrades are considered a significant source of revenue for WN? How many people really buy these? This has got to be the greatest deflection in financial doublespeak history and got to be masking something bigger.
Correct. We all paid more to fly one mile than we did last summer. But adding capacity faster than demand is growing leads to price-slashing. A revenue quandary that impacts "fee free" carriers most worries the Street.

Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Correct. We all paid more to fly one mile than we did last summer. But adding capacity faster than demand is growing leads to price-slashing. A revenue quandary that impacts "fee free" carriers most worries the Street.

AS/VX has significantly increased service over the past year or so (DAL, SAN, and SJC intra-California, west and midwest, BWI and EWR), much of which is in direct competition with WN. Too early to say how this will play out long term, but it has put pressure on fares. Much of the new AS service is provided by OO on new E175's, with significantly lower cost structures than WN, suggesting stiff price competition could continue for some time. In addition, AS just launch a Q4 double mile promotion for most of the newer destinations.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Investors punished LUV for "slowed unit growth revenue."

Gary Kelly blames "unexpected drag" from the new reservation system and "items that we didn't anticipate our people having such difficulty with."

Being halfway through their 45 consecutive year of profits must really be a punishing drag.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Being halfway through their 45 consecutive year of profits must really be a punishing drag.
Same for Motorola. Before it ran past product change signposts.

The much-watched metric is unit revenue. Aligning their expansion plans with demand is the key. The "drag" from the new reservation system is unforeseen. Honestly, it never crossed my mind.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:24 pm

Gate upgrades are considered a significant source of revenue for WN? How many people really buy these? This has got to be the greatest deflection in financial doublespeak history and got to be masking something bigger. Misdirection as GOB would say...
I bought it once to try and get 12A (or whatever the number of that seat with the extended legroom is). Waste of $40, though I did get a decent boarding position (A16 or something like that).

I used to book early bird for every flight; now, I just check in super early (thanks, Tripit) and go straight to the back.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
3Q17 financial results webcast coming 10/26

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/south...203600216.html
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Time for another memo to all of the Gate Agents. But they still have those stupid little signs.
At sleepy little GSP a few years back I recall my bored GA literally doing a running commercial for the gate upgrades including paging passengers by name to say they were eligible. On a fairly empty flight too. Also recall at check-in an Agent insisting on taking my credentials as I started to work the baggage kiosk and do it herself. Great little airport.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

3Q 2017

http://www.southwestairlinesinvestor...2017-113050163
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:04 am

Southwest Airlines posted a third-quarter adjusted profit of 88 cents a share on Thursday, narrowly beating Wall Street estimates, but revenues fell short of expectations.

Southwest, the United States' second-largest airline by market capitalization, said it had canceled some 5,000 flights by the end of September because of the powerful hurricanes that struck the southern U.S. and the Caribbean, as well as the deadly earthquake that hit Mexico City last month. The disasters shaved $100 million off passenger revenues in the quarter.

The airline's revenue from each seat it flies a mile, a key industry metric, fell 0.5 percent in the quarter from a year earlier.

Revenue in the three months ended Sept. 30 was $5.27 billion, slightly lower than analyst estimates of close to $5.31 billion.
CNBC

Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

4Q 2017

Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2Q 2018

Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:51 am

Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Earnings call transcript for 2Q 2018.

https://seekingalpha.com/amp/article...all-transcript

FT folks could come up with better questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.