Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy with RR Visa, points or Venture card?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Buy with RR Visa, points or Venture card?

I need someone to confirm my line of thinking and my math - my brain is fried lately!

How should i purchase SW tickets? (we fly SW a lot)

I have a RR visa card (2 actually) and I have ~30k RR points available, and I have a Cap1 Venture card.

The Cap1 Venture gets 2 points per $ anywhere - and can be redeemed as 1 cent per point for travel (I will need to redeem 10,000 points to cover a $100 SW tix - need to spend $5,000 to get 10,000 points - so $5k spend = $100 tix)

The RR gets 2 points per $ on SW and each of those points is worth 1.43 cents, so if i spend $5000 on purchasing SW tix, i would get 10,000 points which would get me $143 tix. (from what i understand its $143 base fare, so i could actually get a tix closer to $160 with 10,000 RR points)

It seems to me that i should be using the RR credit card for SW tickets to get 2 points per $, but use the Venture card for everything else? (other than gas & groceries which i have better cards for)

And in terms of using the SW points that I have, is there any time that its better to use them? Or should i go ahead and use them all up first and then start using cash to purchase Tix? any advantage to hoarding them?

THANKS
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Your math is proper so the SW card is the way to go, IMO in this case. Mr. Toomanybooks is the resident expert here and may confirm along with better ways. I just got a Citibank card, no fee, that gives a flat 2% cash back on everything so I am moving that way.

WN did a surprising (to us) devalue last year of about 15%, mitigated by the tax/fee change you noted above. So unlikely to do again in the near future (???) So burn or pay cash, whatever is best for you given the circumstances. But silly not to burn the points on leisure travel first, that is what they are for.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Your math is proper so the SW card is the way to go, IMO in this case. Mr. Toomanybooks is the resident expert here and may confirm along with better ways. I just got a Citibank card, no fee, that gives a flat 2% cash back on everything so I am moving that way.

WN did a surprising (to us) devalue last year of about 15%, mitigated by the tax/fee change you noted above. So unlikely to do again in the near future (???) So burn or pay cash, whatever is best for you given the circumstances. But silly not to burn the points on leisure travel first, that is what they are for.
Thanks!

Someone else just told me about the citi card. Which one is it? i was going to get the no fee Fidelity AMEX with 2% and downgrade the Venture to the no annual fee Quicksilver for 1.5% (or the venture one for 1.25% if they wont let me go to quicksilver) wherever i cant use the AMEX, but I prefer to just get a visa/mc with 2% and be done with it.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:07 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I think joshua362 is talking about the Citi Double Cash.

Another approach if you decide to get another card down the line would be the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which gets 2 points per dollar on all travel and can transfer 1:1 to Southwest as well as other partners, giving you a minimum of 1.43 cents/point (because you know you can transfer them to Southwest at that value) and the opportunity for higher-value redemptions with other partners (e.g. AA and US flights by transferring to British Airways).
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stellertony

Another approach if you decide to get another card down the line would be the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which gets 2 points per dollar on all travel and can transfer 1:1 to Southwest as well as other partners, giving you a minimum of 1.43 cents/point (because you know you can transfer them to Southwest at that value) and the opportunity for higher-value redemptions with other partners (e.g. AA and US flights by transferring to British Airways).
We are in ATL and 9/10 times we fly its ATL-LGA round trip - so we almost always fly SW. (used to be airtran) PLUS my daughter has a companion pass on SW connected to my wife- so we pay for 1 less ticket when flying SW

almost never fly anywhere else or any other airline.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
The best simple method to maximize that I have found is to get a Chase Ink Bold/Plus card and buy WN gift cards at Officemax/Depot/Staples. Might even be able to go through a portal for a bit more. Have seen them up to $200 value.

You get 5 UR per dollar, convertible 1:1 to WN points, worth 7%. Much better than RR or Cap or Sapphire 2x. If you need them to be CP-qualifying, must launder them through Hyatt or Marriott, and take a ~40% hit in value.

Worth also considering Amex Blue Cash/Blue Cash Preferred for 5-6% cashback on WN gift cards bought at a grocery store. If you spend that cash on WN tickets, you make progress toward elite/CPs status.

Just bought Sears gift cards last week, 20% off, at Office Depot. These I will use to buy WN gift cards at K-Mart. So 20% off plus the 5x.

Can also buy $200 Visa/MC/Amex GCs at the office supply stores for 5x (minus 3.5% fee), then use those cards at Sam's Club to buy $150 face WN GCs for $143. These may also be eligible for the extra 2% back at year end from Sam's, not sure.

For now my family's 2 WN RR cards are only used for "convenience checks" (2% fee, 0% interest, 15 months).

As for saving WN points by using cash instead, I cannot see much reason to do that for personal, non-deductible trips.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Oct 21, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by stellertony
Yes, I was. Sounds like the easiest, best, no nonsense 2% cash back card so far. But I did get horribly jerked around by a fraud call today. Hopefully a one time event: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23712870-post20.html

I know toomanybooks would have this nailed! Good advice if you pay for your WN travel. I have to use a Company travel agent for business and have too many points for personal use.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
The best simple method to maximize that I have found is to get a Chase Ink Bold/Plus card and buy WN gift cards at Officemax/Depot/Staples. Might even be able to go through a portal for a bit more. Have seen them up to $200 value.

You get 5 UR per dollar, convertible 1:1 to WN points, worth 7%. Much better than RR or Cap or Sapphire 2x. If you need them to be CP-qualifying, must launder them through Hyatt or Marriott, and take a ~40% hit in value.

Worth also considering Amex Blue Cash/Blue Cash Preferred for 5-6% cashback on WN gift cards bought at a grocery store. If you spend that cash on WN tickets, you make progress toward elite/CPs status.

Just bought Sears gift cards last week, 20% off, at Office Depot. These I will use to buy WN gift cards at K-Mart. So 20% off plus the 5x.

Can also buy $200 Visa/MC/Amex GCs at the office supply stores for 5x (minus 3.5% fee), then use those cards at Sam's Club to buy $150 face WN GCs for $143. These may also be eligible for the extra 2% back at year end from Sam's, not sure.

For now my family's 2 WN RR cards are only used for "convenience checks" (2% fee, 0% interest, 15 months).

As for saving WN points by using cash instead, I cannot see much reason to do that for personal, non-deductible trips.
DAMN. i said my brain is fried...its gonna take me week to wrap my head around this post!

Going with the last line of your reply (and because i would like to save cash right now) I was going to book all 4 tix i need ($132 or 7619 points each) with points for now. BUT as i wrote this reply i remembered i have a $170 LUV voucher that expires days after we are taking this trip!

Is there a way to use LUV voucher and points together, or will I have to use the LUV voucher to buy 1 full tix and 1 partial tix then use my RR visa for the balance? (and use the RR card for the security fee when booking 2 of the tix with points)

toomanybooks, thanks for the reply!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Is there any way to request convenience checks for the WN RR cards? I can not find it on my online account.

I do have convenience checks from a Chase Freedom that expire on 10/31 with )% APR until 11/2015 and a reduced 2% fee instead of the regular 3%. Anyone know how long it takes for these to post? lets say i deposit them first think on Monday morning.

thanks
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gotkwah
Is there any way to request convenience checks for the WN RR cards? I can not find it on my online account.

I do have convenience checks from a Chase Freedom that expire on 10/31 with )% APR until 11/2015 and a reduced 2% fee instead of the regular 3%. Anyone know how long it takes for these to post? lets say i deposit them first think on Monday morning.

thanks
I never requested convenience checks; they just showed up about a year ago (have had Chase CCs for a long time). Have received them for both kinds of WN Visas (one joint [Premier], one my wife's [Personal]) and 2 BA Visa (one each). Until about 6 months ago they were 0% interest, 1% fee, about 14-15 months' term.

Since then they are all 2% fee.

Never got convenience checks for Ink Bold or Plus, or Sapphire.

They post and are available in the account at my regular bank (not Chase) the next day, just like a normal check. Never checked to see how long until Chase sees it, but it cannot be long.

Of course, with these things you cannot use the card for regular purchases, or they start charging you the 16.99% interest, or whatever it is. Any principal repaid goes first to the 0% interest balance.

I assume you can email/call Chase and ask for these checks.

One thing I do know is that if you go online and transfer a balance from another bank's credit card (same terms), it's takes about 10 days to actually make it there. Allow a couple weeks.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

I never requested convenience checks; they just showed up about a year ago (have had Chase CCs for a long time). Have received them for both kinds of WN Visas (one joint [Premier], one my wife's [Personal]) and 2 BA Visa (one each). Until about 6 months ago they were 0% interest, 1% fee, about 14-15 months' term.

Since then they are all 2% fee.

Never got convenience checks for Ink Bold or Plus, or Sapphire.

They post and are available in the account at my regular bank (not Chase) the next day, just like a normal check. Never checked to see how long until Chase sees it, but it cannot be long.

Of course, with these things you cannot use the card for regular purchases, or they start charging you the 16.99% interest, or whatever it is. Any principal repaid goes first to the 0% interest balance.

I assume you can email/call Chase and ask for these checks.

One thing I do know is that if you go online and transfer a balance from another bank's credit card (same terms), it's takes about 10 days to actually make it there. Allow a couple weeks.
thanks. you answered another one of my questions as well (not using card for purchases any more)

Is the check limit my credit limit or my cash advance limit?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Credit limit.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:32 pm

thanks. you answered another one of my questions as well (not using card for purchases any more)

It should say so on your statement, do check first. Mine is different for Chase and AMEX cards. I had taken several 0%'s out in 2007 to cheaply fund a new venture without disturbing existing investments, my credit was otherwise impeccable. Then the banking crisis hit and they all panicked at once and cut limits and cash advance limits as a subset of that. I got the last laugh as I paid them all off as due and cancelled the cards...

Also check the fee, they same to range for me from 3 to 5%, never saw 2% offered to me.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

General Q about the WN RR credit cards. maybe toomanybooks or someone else can help.

I had my wife apply for both premier cards last year around dec/jan - got approved for both, and got 50k bonus on each card at the beg of 2014 - also charged enough additional to get the CP in march or april, so it is goo until Dec 31 2015

My questions is whether i should have her cancel both cards now? or wait and cancel them towards the end of next year? they have already charged the annual fee on one a few days ago - but i imagine i can calla and get that waived if i am cancelling? (or if i should keep them can/should i downgrade the cards to the plus to keep annual fee lower?)

Assuming they still have a similar promo going - I plan to keep alternating applications every 2 years between my wife & i so we can constantly keep a companion pass.

thanks
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:08 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Just bought Sears gift cards last week, 20% off, at Office Depot. These I will use to buy WN gift cards at K-Mart.
No wonder Sears/Kmart is circling the financial drain!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.