Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion Pass 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by frenchie2
Does points earned from transferring Choice points count towards the companion pass? All the articles by bloggers that I read said it does, but when we called SW tonight the reps don't seem to give the same answers and the twitter team said "only air travel counts" which i know is not true. We are planning to purchase choice points on Monday via Daily Getaway, but want to be sure if they count! Thanks.
I transferred points from Marriott recently and they counted towards CP.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:32 pm

4 Weeks to post

Just a data point for everyone. I reached my minimum spend on March 10. My statement, which closed March 25, shows 2,040 RR points earned. I just called to ask about the bonus points, verifying the offer for 50,000 after $2k. The rep said that it would take 4 weeks after my statement to post, and that I should expect the bonus points to post on midnight, April 25. This was for the Premier personal, but I imagine the same will be true for my Plus personal.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by turpintine
Just a data point for everyone. I reached my minimum spend on March 10. My statement, which closed March 25, shows 2,040 RR points earned. I just called to ask about the bonus points, verifying the offer for 50,000 after $2k. The rep said that it would take 4 weeks after my statement to post, and that I should expect the bonus points to post on midnight, April 25. This was for the Premier personal, but I imagine the same will be true for my Plus personal.
I have the Premier Personal and hit the spend on my statement dated 3/23. RR points and bonus posted on 3/24.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by turpintine
That doesn't seem right. Are you sure you met your min spend on March 10th? Don't include the annual fee and subtract out any returns.

If you truly met the annual fee on March 10th and had a statement date (not a payment due date, but a statement date) of March 25th, you should have received the bonus points on that statement and they should have showed up in your Southwest Rapid Rewards account around March 27th. Were any of your purchases with Southwest or a Hotel or Rental Car partner? That would be one way you could have over 2,000 points but not have met the min spend requirement.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:14 am
was jgoggan

Programs: WN 650k+CP; BA 200k; AA 200k; HHonors 450k; IHG 300k Plat; Bonvoy 250k; Rad 225k
I have seen some this time around where people earned it a few days before the statement date, but did not get the 50,000 bonus until the NEXT period. However, all of those were within about 3-4 days of the statement date. None as far back as 15 days beforehand. So, I agree with meecal -- I think it is much more likely that some of what you charged was not counted for some reason (such as the annual fee since you seem to be JUST above the cut-off for spend). You cut it pretty tight at 2,040.

- John...
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:01 am

Greetings, I'm new to the game, found out about the CP accidently and since I got the 50K bonus for the premier SW CC, trying to figure out ways to reach 110k. I'm sitting at 70k CP qualifying points, won't be able to make 40k in purchases on CC, reading the forums and trying to find ways. There's no more Plus CC any more I can apply for additional 50k. I applied for the business one but got rejected since I have no business (duh), now I guess I can't apply for that one for 6 months. Thinking about applying for some card, get bonus points and transfer them, but not sure which cards. I read something about "choice hotels" here, but there is nothing on their site indicates it's by Chase and I can transfer points. Do Chase Saphire points transfer? I guess I can apply for that one and try to transfer. I tried MS, but 40k is a bit too much. Clerks at local stores already know me by first name LOL. Any tips or reference links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:43 am

On the Chase Sapphire Preferred, the Ultimate Rewards points that you can transfer to RR are NOT CP-qualifying if transferred directly, but they are if you transfer them through Hyatt and lose more than half the points: 5000 UR to 5000 Hyatt to 2400 RR. So if you get the card (making sure you qualify under Chase's rule of no more than 5 cards issued by anyone in the last 24 months), you have a bonus of 50,000 UR points + 5000 for an authorized user with $4000 spending in 3 months. Let's say you get at least 5000 points for the spending, with some of it being on travel and dining which get double points, and 60,000 points transferred through Hyatt (or is there a maximum for this?) becomes 28,800 RR CP-qualifying points.

On Choice Hotels, points transferred from the program, earned from their non-Chase credit card or hotel stays (they often have offers of 8000 points for two stays) can transfer as CP-qualifying points: 6000 from Choice to 1800 RR, IIRC. I think it needs to be requested by phone.

Last edited by rove312; Apr 8, 2016 at 9:19 am Reason: I think one figure needed correcting.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:07 pm

Thanks so much rove312! 28,800 is still a lot and makes achieving the 110k mark easier. But I didn't know that Chase has the no more than 5 card policy in the past 24m. That means I can't open both Saphire and Hyatt, wish I did a lot of research BEFORE I started opening these cards left and right LOL. Looks like the Hyatt card doesn't offer any bonus points (except 5k for an AU), so sounds like the only reason for opening the card would be to use it as a means for points transfer... hmmm. I'll look into to Choice CC. Thanks.

Any suggestions on what the best hotel or reward cards for Mexican resorts? LOL just daydreaming here : )
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:27 pm

Just to make clear: the Hyatt part of the Chase UR Sapphire-Hyatt-RR transfer doesn't require getting the Hyatt credit card; it just means being signed up with the Hyatt Gold Passport rewards program.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by rove312
Just to make clear: the Hyatt part of the Chase UR Sapphire-Hyatt-RR transfer doesn't require getting the Hyatt credit card; it just means being signed up with the Hyatt Gold Passport rewards program.
Oh, didn't realize that, thank you for the clarification!

On a different note, I signed up for the Venture Capital One, and it looks to me like that CC is actually a better deal to stack up travel points than SouthWest. Unless my math is wrong, looks like I need to pay $70 (to get 70 points) per $1 ticket price. Since Venture is giving double points per $1 and the rate is 100 points per $1 in ticket price, it comes down to only $50 in my spending (100 points) per $1 ticket price, on ANY airline. This doesn't take into account the SW promotions and specials though. Sorry if this is off topic, just wanted to ask you since you appear to be knowledgeable about this stuff. Thanks!

Last edited by DjRocket; Apr 9, 2016 at 12:26 am
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by DjRocket
Oh, didn't realize that, thank you for the clarification!

On a different note, I signed up for the Venture Capital One, and it looks to me like that CC is actually a better deal to stack up travel points than SouthWest. Unless my math is wrong, looks like I need to pay $70 (to get 70 points) per $1 ticket price. Since Venture is giving double points per $1 and the rate is 100 points per $1 in ticket price, it comes down to only $50 in my spending (100 points) per $1 ticket price, on ANY airline. This doesn't take into account the SW promotions and specials though. Sorry if this is off topic, just wanted to ask you since you appear to be knowledgeable about this stuff. Thanks!
Using the Southwest card for purchases isn't usually the best way to rack up Southwest points. You can use a card like the Sapphire Preferred for bonus categories and generally be better off. If you have a Sapphire Preferred or Ink and a Freedom card, you can actually earn 5X points on the Freedom with its bonus categories and then transfer them to the CSP or Ink UR account and on to Southwest.

One of the few upsides to using the SW card is that the points for everyday purchases do count toward CP. If you already have CP or will get it through other means though, it's rarely logical to use the Southwest card for purchases.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
If you have booked a companion with you using the companion pass, do both need to purchase EARLY BIRD CHECK IN for that benefit? Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by 141park
If you have booked a companion with you using the companion pass, do both need to purchase EARLY BIRD CHECK IN for that benefit? Thanks
If you both want EBCI benefits and neither of you are A/A+, then "Yes".

Companion Pass in and of itself has no bearing on either the CP holder or the Companion with regards to OLCI and/or assigned boarding order.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by meecal
Using the Southwest card for purchases isn't usually the best way to rack up Southwest points. You can use a card like the Sapphire Preferred for bonus categories and generally be better off. If you have a Sapphire Preferred or Ink and a Freedom card, you can actually earn 5X points on the Freedom with its bonus categories and then transfer them to the CSP or Ink UR account and on to Southwest.

One of the few upsides to using the SW card is that the points for everyday purchases do count toward CP. If you already have CP or will get it through other means though, it's rarely logical to use the Southwest card for purchases.
Thank you for the tips, meecal !
Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:55 pm

The SWA Plus offer at 50k is back. (it was pulled on 3/29, and is now available again--that will make things easier for everyone)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.