Southwest Companion Pass 2015-2016

Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by SWcrester
I spoke with SW yesterday and the rep assured me there would be no problem - but I wanted a 'what if' scenario addressed. She recommended I use my points to book the companion flight in May. After I finish my flight with MIL in March, call SW, and on the phone they will change my companion and convert the flight to CP, returning my points to my bucket, in one phone call.

Does that sound right?
I'm guessing you could do the same if you didn't have CP yet ?

I'm looking towards the future but if I booked 2 flights using points for March 2016 ( I have CP until 12/31/15) as long as I earned CP before my flight I could cancel the points booking and add my CP in that spot , is this correct ?

Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'm guessing you could do the same if you didn't have CP yet ?

I'm looking towards the future but if I booked 2 flights using points for March 2016 ( I have CP until 12/31/15) as long as I earned CP before my flight I could cancel the points booking and add my CP in that spot , is this correct ?

Thanks
Yes that is correct.

Functionality/workflow work exactly the same as in post #16.

One caveat---

If you end up cutting it close on your CP qualification date, be careful to check regular public purchase availability on-line prior to cancelling your to-be-Companion's points booking and adding them as your Companion.

Although with 3,600 flights/day it's not real common, there's always a chance your flight could sell-out before you qualify for the CP.

If that happens, (once you qualify) call SWA on the telephone and ask them to add your Companion for you. Their rinky-dink IT system does have a cool trick that allows the agent to put your now-companion's points reservation in limbo-land momentarily and then attach the companion to your reservation.

Your points will then return to the nest pretty much immediately. This eliminates the chance of someone out there in the world snapping-up the one remaining seat (that you just cancelled) before you are able to add it as a Companion.

If you see that the flight is still wide-open, then certainly just go ahead and DIY with no worries.

Obviously you'll not be booking any March 2016 flights for anyone until those schedules open up late next summer.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
Yes that is correct.

Functionality/workflow work exactly the same as in post #16.

One caveat---

If you end up cutting it close on your CP qualification date, be careful to check regular public purchase availability on-line prior to cancelling your to-be-Companion's points booking and adding them as your Companion.

Although with 3,600 flights/day it's not real common, there's always a chance your flight could sell-out before you qualify for the CP.

If that happens, (once you qualify) call SWA on the telephone and ask them to add your Companion for you. Their rinky-dink IT system does have a cool trick that allows the agent to put your now-companion's points reservation in limbo-land momentarily and then attach the companion to your reservation.

Your points will then return to the nest pretty much immediately. This eliminates the chance of someone out there in the world snapping-up the one remaining seat (that you just cancelled) before you are able to add it as a Companion.

If you see that the flight is still wide-open, then certainly just go ahead and DIY with no worries.

Obviously you'll not be booking any March 2016 flights for anyone until those schedules open up late next summer.
Thanks for all the info.

I wouldn't be surprised if MSP/TPA is sold out well before departure as if it's still available I will grab the nonstop Saturday afternoon departure but I should have CP ( saying the 50k cards and 110K are still in effect) by the end of January 2016
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by steved5480
Yes. It not only sounds right, it actually IS right.
That's what I had read before also. The CSR I spoke with gave me a scare though and even "checked" with her supervisor. Also, you mentioned to "book with points". I'd rather just purchase a refundable ticket with $. Think it really makes a difference as long as the fare is refundable?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by finloopio
That's what I had read before also. The CSR I spoke with gave me a scare though and even "checked" with her supervisor. Also, you mentioned to "book with points". I'd rather just purchase a refundable ticket with $. Think it really makes a difference as long as the fare is refundable?
No.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: AA BA WN US
How long..

I just got the SWA RR Premier card 2 weeks ago and just got approved last Wednesday for the SWA RR Business card... both with the 50,000 bonus after $2,000 spend.
I plan on waiting until Jan 2, 2015 to make the $2,000 purchases for each card so I will have 104,000 points. If I am able to hit the 110,000 points in January how long does it take to receive the Companion Pass?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IslandBum
I just got the SWA RR Premier card 2 weeks ago and just got approved last Wednesday for the SWA RR Business card... both with the 50,000 bonus after $2,000 spend.
I plan on waiting until Jan 2, 2015 to make the $2,000 purchases for each card so I will have 104,000 points. If I am able to hit the 110,000 points in January how long does it take to receive the Companion Pass?
No reason to wait until January to spend the $2000. As long as you spend it after your December statement closes it will post with your statement in January. The companion pass will show 100% attained in your dashboard online but may take 1-2 weeks for them to actually extend it to you for use.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:29 am

No reason to wait until January to spend the $2000. As long as you spend it after your December statement closes it will post with your statement in January. The companion pass will show 100% attained in your dashboard online but may take 1-2 weeks for them to actually extend it to you for use.
finloopia thanks for that info.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:56 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Beware. At least 2 people have reported being surprised that their December statement closed earlier than they had expected. In at least one case Chase changed the statement date on its own. However I believe all these cases were the very first statement. Once your first statement closes, the billing cycle should be firm.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Beware. At least 2 people have reported being surprised that their December statement closed earlier than they had expected. In at least one case Chase changed the statement date on its own. However I believe all these cases were the very first statement. Once your first statement closes, the billing cycle should be firm.

I think I will play it safe and make the $2000 charges on Jan 2nd. I think my 90 days deadline is Jan 6th.

Anyone know if a $2000 Costco gift card will work for the spend requirement and not show as cash advance?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Anyone know if a $2000 Costco gift card will work for the spend requirement and not show as cash advance?
No problem.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:38 pm

I think I will play it safe and make the $2000 charges on Jan 2nd. I think my 90 days deadline is Jan 6th.

The only issue I could see is if Chase sees you had the card 90 days and your first charge was for a $2K GC.

They may think it's fraud and hold up the charge possibly making you miss your 1/6/15 cutoff.

Set your statement to close 12/20 and then make the spend after that statement closes.

There is no way your next statement will close prior to 1/1/15

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 9, 2014 at 4:49 pm
Old Nov 9, 2014, 3:42 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Set your statement to close 12/20 and then make the spend after that statement closes.
...and after you have verified that the statement actually closed!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
...and after you have verified that the statement actually closed!
People seem to make this much more difficult than it has to be. People should be getting the card(s) in November/December which will give a person plenty of time to correct anything that may go wrong.

From once the first statement closes you can change the closing date online and yes don't just change the date, verify the statement actually closed ( I pay in full the day the statement cuts for all my cards so I always know they closed) before making the spend that will post in 2015.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum
Southwest Card Offer/Companion Pass Question

Received a 50,000 mile offer for the SW Premier card today. Called Chase & SW with the following question to no avail...

If I open the card now and spend the $2,000 in January 2015 - will the 50,000 point bonus count towards my companion pass for 2015 or will it be based off when I opened the card in November 2014?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.