Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best/Worst WN Terminals

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by steved5480
MCI is super-quick "in and out" for those that live here
Agreed...but I can see why people hate connecting there. The WN area is often crowded to the point where it's hard to walk through there to get to your gate.

But don't worry...Sly will get his new airport and it'll all be fixed.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
Originally Posted by Ringer909
Worst: MCI. Not just WN, the whole airport.
I hate that goofy shaped airport.

In fairness it does move quick and if you are getting dropped off and not doing a rental car it's fast as heck.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by antinseattle
I've been thru SMF at least 300 times in past 20 years and I have no idea.....

I did a Google search. That is creepy. . Never noticed it. Attention to Details over here.....
How can you miss the rabbit? It's HUGE! He's something like 50 feet long.

They also have birds on the floor by the tram station.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by HansGruber

In fairness it does move quick and if you are getting dropped off and not doing a rental car it's fast as heck.
I agree; however, MCI isn't all that bad if connecting on WN. It is true it can get a bit claustrophobic. Unless your connecting flight departs at B45 and you flew in at B32 or 33 or vice-versa, it's typically a 2 minute walk if that. If the terminals were a bit bigger, it could be relatively easy to redesign it like DFW with some modifications and make connecting much easier. What gets me is the limited number of restaurants. It's better that what it used to be, but there's still a ways to go.

Anyway, back on topic.
Best: STL, DEN.
Worst: SAN, MSY
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by tusphotog
How can you miss the rabbit? It's HUGE! He's something like 50 feet long.

They also have birds on the floor by the tram station.

Head down. Fly by lane. Thru TSA. Never use baggage claim. Hopefully in less than 7 minutes.

I guess I need to look around more
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
But as a local, PHX is fantastic. Especially with the Skytrain up and running.

For a non-local, PHX is confusing, especially the baggage claim area of Terminal 4 with its two pickup curbs (North and South).

I remember arriving late at night to PHX and calling an off-site car rental agency for pick-up. The person told me to meet the driver at the south curb.

Ahem... How is one supposed to remember at night which curb is the south curb from inside the baggage claim area of Terminal 4?

(And the access road between the different terminals and parking areas is confusing too. I feel like I'm on a Formula 1 road course at times.)

That said, once beyond security, the gate area of SkyHarbor is fine.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Peter T.
Ahem... How is one supposed to remember at night which curb is the south curb from inside the baggage claim area of Terminal 4?
It says "north" or "south" above each exit door inside the terminal.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
How is one supposed to remember at night which curb is the south curb from inside the baggage claim area of Terminal 4?
Smartphone compass.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:19 pm

It took me about a year of regular travel out of PHX to get the north and south curbs right.

Here's the way to remember it: Southwest is on the south side. USAir is on the north side. When you get outside, look at the planes parked at the gate above you.

Originally Posted by CMK10
It says "north" or "south" above each exit door inside the terminal.
Those signs appeared in 2010. They also added signs above the escalators going down to bag claim.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HansGruber

The rental car shuttle is a joke....either the bus doesn't run very often or I'm just unlucky and always end up having to wait for what seems like forever in either bitter cold or sweltering humidity.....and I agree, for the city it's size, the terminal is far too claustrophobic for my taste
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
As someone who lives in LAS, I have to go with LAS.

The C gates are a death trap in comparison to D and E. The march between B-C is horrible if you need to make a connection/gate change. It's impossible to find an outlet. And the whole place just is crawling first time travelers.

Beyond LAS though, I have to second the entire SAN airport as being miserable.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:17 pm

Best: DAL, OKC, AUS
Worst: LAS, MSY, LGA (with a honorary mention to MDW because I think I get A4A/A4B about 90% of the time)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
Beyond LAS though, I have to second the entire SAN airport as being miserable.
Have you been through T2 at SAN? It's a completely different world over there.

Originally Posted by KelseyR
(with a honorary mention to MDW because I think I get A4A/A4B about 90% of the time)
I had 90 minutes to kill at MDW the other day so I walked over to the A4A/A4B mess and it's a really weird setup over there. Weren't those AirTran gates at some point?

FWIW I didn't find the walk awful but I wasn't trying to make a tight connection. Certainly no worse than C16 to D8 at PHX or that horrible C-->A nonsense at DEN.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Yes. And ATA.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
I had 90 minutes to kill at MDW the other day so I walked over to the A4A/A4B mess and it's a really weird setup over there. Weren't those AirTran gates at some point?
I believe A4A and A4B were originally constructed as temporary gates during the two phase construction of the A concourse. The A concourse used to end right around there and was still being built and completed beyond that. TZ used these gates for their 757s during that time. Used to be a lot worse back then when it was just a long hallway that ended in two jet bridges. No restrooms/food/services. Much better now with the new waiting area out there. But still the worst gate draw at MDW by far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.