Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

All MDW Flights Grounded Due to Fire at Radar Facility 9/26

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All MDW Flights Grounded Due to Fire at Radar Facility 9/26

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
Strong storms expected in Chicago area about 4 or 5 PM, which likely accounts for the cancellations (ORD is showing 450 cancellations, according to local news).
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:23 am

They told me a combination of both weather and the ATC problems on the phone this morning.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by mke9499
I just heard on the news that WN has cancelled all MDW flight for this afternoon.

Is weather the culprit this time?

http://wgntv.com/2014/10/02/hundreds...f-bad-weather/
Once again WN has canceled flights for absolutely no reason. There were no storms this afternoon. I will repeat - beware of WN this winter, they have decided to take the stance that all flights get canceled anytime there is a possibility of bad weather. January 1, I may just move on.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Well, if this is true from that link, then other carriers than WN had to be proactively cancelling flights as well. The weather threat PLUS the ATC nightmare is enough for me to give them a pass today...

"According to the Department of Aviation, O’Hare cancelled over 500 flights and reported delays averaging 30 minutes.

Midway Airport cancelled over 300 flights and reported delays averaging about 40 minutes."
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
Once again WN has canceled flights for absolutely no reason. There were no storms this afternoon.
Yeah, I sit here about 20 miles S of MDW and all we have had today is a bit of mist.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Well, if this is true from that link, then other carriers than WN had to be proactively cancelling flights as well. The weather threat PLUS the ATC nightmare is enough for me to give them a pass today...

"According to the Department of Aviation, O’Hare cancelled over 500 flights and reported delays averaging 30 minutes.

Midway Airport cancelled over 300 flights and reported delays averaging about 40 minutes."
Yea. O'hare cancelled something in the neighborhood of 20% of its flights. MDW cancelled something in the neighborhood of 95% of its flights.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:54 pm

I learned in pilot school that a forecast for good weather is 70% accurate and only 40% for bad weather. Remember that flights have to start their journeys many hours before landing in Chicago.

I don't get the % to % comparison, isn't O'Hare much, much more busier than MDW? All I tried to point out is that other carriers than WN made similar decisions.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
All I tried to point out is that other carriers than WN made similar decisions.
And I tried to make the point that no other carrier made similar decisions to WN. Your statement is not correct.

WN landed 3 flights between 11:10am and 5:00pm. That would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 95% of their flights were cancelled. Tell me what other airline made a similar decision.

United cancelled 33 flights in the same time period. I didn't count, but I'm quite certain that they didn't cancel more than 10% of their flights.

Just how is that similar decisions?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by lougord99
Once again WN has canceled flights for absolutely no reason. There were no storms this afternoon. I will repeat - beware of WN this winter, they have decided to take the stance that all flights get canceled anytime there is a possibility of bad weather. January 1, I may just move on.
I do have to ask (and honestly, minimal snarking intended), but why on earth would you wait another 3 months if current events are as distressing as they seem?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:23 pm

Within the past hour, the FAA has posted ground stops for all flights departing from airports within the airspace of ZNY/ZDC/ZID/ZME/ZTL/ZJX & ZMA (operating via ZHU) that are destined to any airport within ZLA/ZOA/ZAB airspace.

In plain English, this means the east half of the country is currently cut-off from the west half of the country. Two reasons:

1) The crippling sabotage & resulting fire event of Sept 26 at Chicago Center
2) A solid line of severe thunderstorms currently stretching from southwest of Dallas to northeast of Chicago.

We can (and some already are) thrash-around about how any particular carrier manages their dynamic operations.

Some chose to get out ahead of what they knew was coming, even when the sun was still out. Some chose to limp-along as best as they could, likely now find their networks in significant disarray. I have no idea which is “best”. The good news is nobody cares what my ideas or opinions are, certainly not GK. He has my number and the phone hasn’t rung.

And to add a minor OT tidbit, American Airlines has ground-stopped all departures destined DFW due to weather.

Suffice to say the NAS is a mess today/tonight.

Dynamic Status

More details than most will want; remember the date changed to Friday at 7pm CDT
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
I do have to ask (and honestly, minimal snarking intended), but why on earth would you wait another 3 months if current events are as distressing as they seem?
While I may be wrong, I thought that status on the legacies is based on a calender year.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:47 am

ZAU is back in business after the overnight transition of Chicago airspace responsibilities back from ZMP, ZID, ZME and ZKC.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...013-story.html

Operations look and sound "normal" for a Monday morning, subject of course to the usual issues when the weather moves in around noon.

FAA National Status
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by OzzyOzzie
Got hold of them (09/29), and sure enough the system had me completing a cancelled flight. I had booked it with gift cards so I got screwed in the fact I will be getting a voucher and could not have the funds applied to my CC. Total time from dialing the number to closure was between 10 and 15 minutes. Voucher will be emailed within 10 business days. When I receive it I hope to see my 3,002 points still credited for the flight I was never on
Finally an epilog of the fiasco as the voucher was emailed to me today. Backdated to the day I booked the flight, not when it was issued. At least I had booked the flight just a week earlier so I have until September 17th, 2015 to use it.

3,002 points from a flight I never took still posted so I may have got a small bonus from the mess.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:50 pm

A good read, thanks to viewfromthewing:

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...go-Center-fire

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.