Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

All MDW Flights Grounded Due to Fire at Radar Facility 9/26

All MDW Flights Grounded Due to Fire at Radar Facility 9/26

Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
[QUOTE=lougord99;2358925Yet another reason to avoid them this winter.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. another reason to FLY WN this winter and during irrops.

By cancelling flights proactively, they can work to get as many other flights operating normally, and avoid the bigger chance of more stranded cree/pax if issues like yesterday's ATC zero get extended (as they often do)
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by steved5480
As of 830am this morning, the boards @ MCI indicate the first 3 departures of the day to MDW are CANCELLED. Those 3 are the only MDW departures shown on the boards, so who knows what the rest of the day will bring.
Really? Southwest.com and FlightAware show that the first flight, 4506 at 7.15 a.m., operated with a delay (but I guess it was off the board by the time you saw it). We're on the first flight tomorrow, so far planning to go ahead with it.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by rove312
Really? Southwest.com and FlightAware show that the first flight, 4506 at 7.15 a.m., operated with a delay (but I guess it was off the board by the time you saw it). We're on the first flight tomorrow, so far planning to go ahead with it.
You are correct, I obviously mis-spoke. That first flight was long-gone when I glanced at the board at 830am. The next 3 that were scheduled at/after 830 had all been whacked. Between the volume of flights & the quantity/size of the monitors, that was all that were showing when I passed by.

FWIW, there were also 3 HOU-MDW departures displaying "on-time" when I passed thru Hobby about 1145am.

Certainly have to give a lot of credit to the ATC pros for patching-together a plan to essentially cobble-up ZAU's airspace & divide it up between ZMP, ZID, ZOB, & ZKC.

It's ugly but it's working.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by OzzyOzzie
BTW, at gate A4A. First time I have been there.
You're at the Green Mile!

Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
I disagree. another reason to FLY WN this winter and during irrops.

By cancelling flights proactively, they can work to get as many other flights operating normally, and avoid the bigger chance of more stranded cree/pax if issues like yesterday's ATC zero get extended (as they often do)
Based on reports on this board and in the news it looks like there were more stranded passengers thanks to WN than anyone else. I would rather be delayed than stuck in a city away from home on a Friday night while every other airline was operating.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
You're at the Green Mile!

you got that right. All in all it did not go to bad, arriving about 30 hours later than expected. Free drinks due to the 2 hour delay. Did see a line of about 20 folks at a WN counter at SEA.

the flight
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:11 pm

you got that right. All in all it did not go to bad, arriving about 30 hours later than expected. Free drinks due to the 2 hour delay. Did see a line of about 20 folks at a WN counter at SEA.

the flight
Thanks for sharing the link... 20+/- minutes at low altitude is a long time & definitely not normal. Certainly not nearly enough flying distance from MDW to get you into what would normally be ZMP's "normal" airspace. Obviously some really serious reallocation of who is responsible for what.

The cost of this event has to be mind-boggling. Just the aggregated extra fuel consumption for the air carriers alone while flying at these restricted low altitudes to get out of ZAU so they can climb with another center is...huge.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uthornsgo
Based on reports on this board and in the news it looks like there were more stranded passengers thanks to WN than anyone else. I would rather be delayed than stuck in a city away from home on a Friday night while every other airline was operating.
Yeah, WN really dropped the ball on this one. It's unusual for us to have so many people coming in from out of town at once, but we did, and the ones who booked on WN largely didn't make it, while those who booked on AA, UA and DL did. It was a huge mess for WN flyers, and a minor inconvenience for everyone else.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:36 pm

A new wrinkle....WN claims my cancelled flight flew so I cannot get a refund. I look at point history and sure enough I got points posted for flight that never flew. Oh brother, now I get to call corporate. Perhaps I can get a refund and still have the posted points. Stay tuned.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:34 pm

I called to make sure they cancelled my entire trip yesterday because when I looked online it sure didn't look like they cancelled by flight back.

They cancelled both legs, and all my points showed up..

Now, let's just hope they let the birds fly tomorrow and I'll be a happy camper!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:48 pm

A new wrinkle....WN claims my cancelled flight flew so I cannot get a refund. I look at point history and sure enough I got points posted for flight that never flew. Oh brother, now I get to call corporate. Perhaps I can get a refund and still have the posted points. Stay tuned.
That wrong on several levels.

If your flight flew and you didn't then you shouldn't have gotten any points and depending on fare class you should either get a refund or lose you money.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:42 pm

Got hold of them today, and sure enough the system had me completing a cancelled flight. I had booked it with gift cards so I got screwed in the fact I will be getting a voucher and could not have the funds applied to my CC. Total time from dialing the number to closure was between 10 and 15 minutes. Voucher will be emailed within 10 business days. When I receive it I hope to see my 3,000 points still credited for the flight I was never on
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Got hold of them today, and sure enough the system had me completing a cancelled flight. I had booked it with gift cards so I got screwed in the fact I will be getting a voucher and could not have the funds applied to my CC. Total time from dialing the number to closure was between 10 and 15 minutes. Voucher will be emailed within 10 business days. When I receive it I hope to see my 3,000 points still credited for the flight I was never on
Thanks for posting how yours was resolved.

I had used a voucher that expires in a couple weeks + some $ for my wife to travel on Saturday. That flight cancelled and nothing was available for 2 days, so she flew home on an AA flight (thanks BA Avios!). I hope to call in tomorrow and get a newly issued voucher that she (or I) can use for more than 2 weeks in the future.

And I checked- she didn't get any points awarded for the cancelled flight.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:41 pm

Hundreds of Millions....
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: Southwest rapid rewards,United Airlines MileagePlus
I decided to just change flights. My orignal plain was OAK-MDW-DTW. I changed it to SFO-PHX-DTW. WN didn't have any other flights that bypassed MDW that I liked out of OAK so decided to do SFO. Im arriving into OAK but will be departing SFO.

Last edited by lexmarks567; Sep 30, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.