Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are these Prices Normal

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Are these Prices Normal

I am still new to SW and have one flight booked but have not flown yet.

I was looking at the new schedule and it's close to 49K points R/T to fly MSP/TPA in mid/late March.

I booked this same itinerary for 13K R/T flying in December 2014.

I know March is peak rates but $790/49K points for a flight to Florida seems excessive and I can fly Delta nonstop for 50K miles, probably less if I had booked 330 days out.

I know April is still prime season in Florida ( especially the first 2 weeks as schools have vacations) and I remember seeing many flights for under 10K points in 2014

Are theses the normal March prices and if so will they drop ?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Wonder how many people want to get our of Minnesota in March for a Florida trip? If that # drops, sure there will be cheaper tickets.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Wonder how many people want to get our of Minnesota in March for a Florida trip? If that # drops, sure there will be cheaper tickets.

If you're paying cash and don't have CP why would you not fly Delta nonstop with an assigned seat and on the return leg 1/2 the travel time ?

I was just wondering if the prices usually drop.

If I book now and it goes down I can get the points refunded , correct ?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:55 pm

Also, looks like you may want to change your travel days to midweek if you can. I see flights from $220/11,590points R/T midweek on the "Flexible dates?" calendar on the Southwest website.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:02 pm

And two bags fly free!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NextTrip
Also, looks like you may want to change your travel days to midweek if you can. I see flights from $220/11,590points R/T midweek on the "Flexible dates?" calendar on the Southwest website.
Bags are free On Delta also as I have the card.

My trip is Thursday to Sunday March 19 - 29 and since the following week is my sons vacation from school they dates can't be changed.

Best I can do is have him miss another day ( already had him taking Thur and Friday) and leave Wed and that flight is 5795 points.

Thanks for the advice

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 29, 2014 at 5:51 pm
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Bags are free On Delta also as I have the card.

My trip is Thursday to Sunday March 19 - 29 and since the following week is my sons vacation from school they dates can't be changed.

Best I can do is have him miss another day ( already had him taking Thur and Friday) and leave Wed and that flight is 5795 points.

Thanks for the advice
Since your son is already missing two days of school, is it possible for the two of you to travel on Saturday, March 21 and return on Tuesday, March 31 instead? There are some lower prices on those dates also, depending on which flights. Just an idea.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NextTrip
And two bags fly free!
Yeah, but the mother-in-law might not be going.

OK, I feel bad about that, but it was too easy.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Yeah, but the mother-in-law might not be going.

OK, I feel bad about that, but it was too easy.
Booooo!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Just an FYI, decided to check back today and the same exact flights ( 3/19 - 3/29 MSP/TPA) that were about 49K R/T were 26,307 points today

So in 4 weeks or so the R/T dropped almost 23K points cheaper per person

Even though I am new to SW I thought those prices were way too expensive.

Good thing I waited.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Well it doesn't really matter that you waited as you could have booked the original reservation with points and any time the price goes down you can rebook the new rate with no penalty.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooseman13
Well it doesn't really matter that you waited as you could have booked the original reservation with points and any time the price goes down you can rebook the new rate with no penalty.

Good to know but it saved me a phone call, lol

I wasn't going to pay ~100K for 2 SW flights when I could have booked Delta for 80K points/miles

Obviously they were way overpriced either by design ( which makes no sense if you can get the cheaper price if you booked with points) or by mistake.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Obviously they were way overpriced either by design
Very high prices far in advance for peak holiday dates are standard operating procedure for Southwest. They relent when sales fall short.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
Very high prices far in advance for peak holiday dates are standard operating procedure for Southwest. They relent when sales fall short.
I guess sales must have been real short as only 4 1/2 weeks have passed and I haven't checked since so the prices may have been lowered weeks ago.

The first reply I received seemed to indicate they would not drop as so many people wanted to leave MN in March
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:42 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I guess sales must have been real short as only 4 1/2 weeks have passed and I haven't checked since so the prices may have been lowered weeks ago.
Don't expect to see the best discounts until about 8 weeks out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.