Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight just got canceled

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:29 am

Consensus here (and elsewhere, among frequent flyers) is that Southwest's flight status notification system is unreliable at best.

My personal experience includes sometimes receiving timely notifications about delays; never receiving notification despite the delay being posted on the monitors; receiving them late -- including after landing (presumably sent while in the air); and receiving multiple, conflicting notifications that didn't reflect reality.

I always add my cell phone number when booking (which isn't automatic, for some unknown reason), and I often take the additional step of signing up for "flight status messaging."

Contrast this with recent experiences on United, where text notifications were received at the exact same time I saw the monitors being updated, and a pop-up message from the app appeared on my smartphone. (Not to mention a pop-up message from Google Now.)
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by hiker72
Well, I'm not trying to change your mind. It is what it is.

I'm just telling you I get a phone call for major delays and cancellations... every time. No reason to lie here.
Hey, fully understand and believe you!

Its just silly/lazy/incompetent for an automated process not to work 100% of the time to all people, all of the time. IT auditors call that a "test of one".

Definite best wishes to your continued luck, I've taken to trip it and flight aware on critical trips instead.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:33 am

True story... sitting at the gate about about 90 minutes before boarding time when just about everyone's phone starts to ring within 10 seconds of each other. Then after the recorded message saying the flight was delayed 2 hours, you hear moans and groans from everyone.
Cool story, bro. Just wish it was anywhere near consistent. Which it isn't.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn

People like the OP still like to Wine when the airlines tell them they are delayed. Yes you heard me Wine(not Whine). They just get too fed up when someone is doing them a favor letting them know about the delay and changing their flight for them without waiting in a long line at the airport.
Pot-Kettle-Black
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Its just silly/lazy/incompetent for an automated process not to work 100% of the time to all people, all of the time. IT auditors call that a "test of one".
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Cool story, bro. Just wish it was anywhere near consistent. Which it isn't.
Since I fly them A LOT, my sample size is large enough for me to say "consistently".

What I'm having trouble understanding is why some "consistently" get them, and others don't get them at all. Doesn't make sense.

If it were truly an incompetent and inconsistent system, then NOBODY would get them consistently. I guess what I'm saying is that there must be some sort of valid explanation for some to ALWAYS get them, and others to NEVER get them. Kind of leaves me scratching my head.

Has anyone tried calling WN to see what's up?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:17 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I get delay notifications consistently too. Sometimes after I am on the plane.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:30 pm

Since I fly them A LOT, my sample size is large enough for me to say "consistently".
Yes. Many of us here fly them A LOT.

Your sample size is actually very small.

What I'm having trouble understanding is why some "consistently" get them, and others don't get them at all. Doesn't make sense.
Yes. It doesn't make sense.

If it were truly an incompetent and inconsistent system, then NOBODY would get them consistently. I guess what I'm saying is that there must be some sort of valid explanation for some to ALWAYS get them, and others to NEVER get them. Kind of leaves me scratching my head.
Seriously!?

You're familiar with Southwest's IT, right?

Also, it's important to note that the vast majority here is not saying they NEVER get them. They're saying that they're unreliable and inconsistent.

Has anyone tried calling WN to see what's up?
Yes. And have been told that they recognize the importance of our Customer observations and opinions, and we have included our concerns in our monthly summary, which is distributed to our Senior Leadership.

Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:21 pm

Very well summarized!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1

Your sample size is actually very small.

Also, it's important to note that the vast majority here is not saying they NEVER get them. They're saying that they're unreliable and inconsistent.
C'mon now... let's not split hairs. I stated the sample size was big enough for ME to say that I get them consistently. I never stated that it was big enough to account for everyone... did I?

My point was that if it's inconsistent, then it's inconsistent for all. So let me rephrase the latest item you quoted me on...

Why would SOME always receive them, SOME inconsistently receive them, and SOME never receive them. Inconsistent is inconsistent. Inconsistency doesn't play favorites as far as I know.

Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:02 pm

Why would SOME always receive them, SOME inconsistently receive them, and SOME never receive them. Inconsistent is inconsistent. Inconsistency doesn't play favorites as far as I know.
The first thing that comes to mind, as I mentioned, is Southwest's stellar IT.

Also, I'll note that, in the multiple discussions on this board regarding this topic, the people reporting that they SOMETIMES get them are far outnumbered by those that say that they ALWAYS get them.

Last edited by ursine1; Aug 27, 2014 at 9:05 am Reason: fixed backwards mistake!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steved5480
Yes.
There are.
And we do.
I never get notified. I pay for TripIt just so I will get notifications.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
The first thing that comes to mind, as I mentioned, is Southwest's stellar IT.

Also, I'll note that, in the multiple discussions on this board regarding this topic, the people reporting that they ALWAYS get them are far outnumbered by those that say that they SOMETIMES get them.
Did you write this backwards?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I sometimes get them. I think I get more now percentagewise than I used to.

Have to always input my cell number in each reservation; may start asking for a text to see if that helps.

And I have to put cell number in ALWAYS when booking; it never sticks. Quite annoying.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Did you write this backwards?
D'oh!

Fixed.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:35 am

For those who don't get them, are you signing up for flight status notifications, in addition to expecting notices based on your bookings?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.