Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest's BWI and ATL international plans

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by djp98374
With Southwest they have a "hub" in Nashville so either Atlanta or Nashville would survive and the other would be downsized. It looks like BNA won.

It will be interesting to see how they route ATL PAX to Bahama or elsewhere given they have stopped running the shorter 4 hr drive time routes of which ATL-BNA is one.

Southwest claims it does not use the traditional hub and spoke system but airports like ORD and DEN really do offer lots of connections to a lesser extent BWI, BNA, and PHX. The major difference between WN and say UA, DL, and AA is that is many flights are mult stop direct flights, sometimes as many as 5. A significant portion of other airline operations ORIG and TERM
at the hub airports.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:27 pm

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...from-mar-2015/

eff 01MAR15 Atlanta – Aruba 1 weekly 737-700
eff 01MAR15 Atlanta – Montego Bay 1 weekly 737-700
eff 07MAR15 Atlanta – San Juan 1 daily 737-700
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:43 pm

That looks decidedly Allegiant and very un-Southwest.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Southwest claims it does not use the traditional hub and spoke system but airports like ORD and DEN really do offer lots of connections to a lesser extent BWI, BNA, and PHX. The major difference between WN and say UA, DL, and AA is that is many flights are mult stop direct flights, sometimes as many as 5. A significant portion of other airline operations ORIG and TERM
at the hub airports.
I don't belive WN will sell you more than a two stop direct flight
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Effective March 2015 - ATL Routes Dropped: Aruba/Montego Bay/San Juan

Routesonline.com
Update at 0540GMT 02SEP14

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...from-mar-2015/
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Is just only for ATL? But not BWI or MCO?
Old May 18, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
So now that WN will be flying to Belize out of Houston, I'm seeing that WN isn't selling tickets between BWI and Belize (which I think may be because there's no return flight from HOU-BWI that the int'l flights could connect to without staying the night since Belize - HOU lands after 8 PM).

If we wanted to book tickets, do we just need to buy from HOU and then book our own connecting flights BWI - HOU separately?

Is there any issue doing this? Living at BWI I haven't had to deal with this much.

Last edited by Majikow; May 18, 2015 at 12:52 pm
Old May 18, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Majikow
So now that WN will be flying to Belize out of Houston, I'm seeing that WN isn't selling tickets between BWI and Belize (which I think may be because there's no return flight from HOU-BWI that the int'l flights could connect to without staying the night since Belize - HOU lands after 8 PM).

If we wanted to book tickets, do we just need to buy from HOU and then book our own connecting flights BWI - HOU separately?

Is there any issue doing this? Living at BWI I haven't had to deal with this much.
Yes/Yes/No

The one minor mystery, which others on FT can like provide insight is getting BWI to thru-check your bags via two separate PNRs.

Under normal circumstances, a domestic-to-international (or vice-versa) all resides on SWA's international IT platform. Given that you're planning to "roll your own", your BWI-HOU reservation will live on the domestic platform while the onward HOU to Belize will live on the international IT platform.

If I were a gambling man, I'd wager they don't have a way to hook your reservations together/thru-check your bags in this specific scenario. Worse case, you claim your bags in HOU, go back upstairs & recheck them, then back thru security to your gate. HOU is small/compact; assuming you have A+ and/or TSA PRE, it's pretty quick to navigate.

YMMV and likely will as this all moves-forward
Old May 18, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by steved5480
Yes/Yes/No

The one minor mystery, which others on FT can like provide insight is getting BWI to thru-check your bags via two separate PNRs.

Under normal circumstances, a domestic-to-international (or vice-versa) all resides on SWA's international IT platform. Given that you're planning to "roll your own", your BWI-HOU reservation will live on the domestic platform while the onward HOU to Belize will live on the international IT platform.

If I were a gambling man, I'd wager they don't have a way to hook your reservations together/thru-check your bags in this specific scenario. Worse case, you claim your bags in HOU, go back upstairs & recheck them, then back thru security to your gate. HOU is small/compact; assuming you have A+ and/or TSA PRE, it's pretty quick to navigate.

YMMV and likely will as this all moves-forward
We don't normally check bags anyway so I'm not too concerned there. Just wanted to make sure they don't bark at you for trying to get around their limitations or I wasn't missing any other tricks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.