Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Called , Schedule Change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Southwest Called , Schedule Change

Southwest called me today about a schedule change for 12/3 TPA/MSP.

I wish Delta, AA and united would call instead of just making the change and never alerting me until I log in to check my flights.

SDelta usually makes several changes to any flight I book so now I make a point of checking them every couple weeks
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:07 pm

How long is the difference? I noticed my October MDW-TPA flights are showing 5 minute later departures than what I booked, but I've received no notification yet.

Be aware that, if your changes are like what happened to me previously, once your flights are changed by the human that called you, you can no longer make changes to the itinerary online, such as to refare if the price drops. You'll have to call.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
flyventure, a former Southwest employee, has indicated that it is Southwest policy to call everyone whose flight has changed by more than 15 minutes.

Until recently, it was dogma that Southwest only opened a schedule for a short distance into the future so that they never had to change the schedule. Now with 9 straight months of the worst on-time in the business, that dogma is out the window as they desperately attempt to get a handle on their horrendous problem.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
How long is the difference? I noticed my October MDW-TPA flights are showing 5 minute later departures than what I booked, but I've received no notification yet.
Originally Posted by lougord99
flyventure, a former Southwest employee, has indicated that it is Southwest policy to call everyone whose flight has changed by more than 15 minutes.
The flight changed from a 5:55 departure to a 6:05 departure so 10 minutes on the departure but it was going to arrive 25 minutes later at my final destination so I guess the layover was also longer.

I used the option she gave me to change to a flight that departs at 12:40 pm

Until recently, it was dogma that Southwest only opened a schedule for a short distance into the future so that they never had to change the schedule. Now with 9 straight months of the worst on-time in the business, that dogma is out the window as they desperately attempt to get a handle on their horrendous problem.
I'm new to SW and have yet to fly a flight with them but with 110K points and CP for not really doing anything it will be tough to complain. I used ~13K SW points for 2 people R/T. Delta has nonstop flights but they want 65K points for 2 people

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 7, 2014 at 8:42 pm
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:21 pm

I hope the wave of December flight changes I've been getting has something to do with improving the schedules. But I had 3 September flights change. If those flights were changed to alleviate delays I would think that the entire August/September/October schedule would change. Since it's only the three least traveled weeks, I have to believe some of these changes, at least, are to keep load factors up.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
I've had 3 calls in the past 24 hours...mostly 30-45 minute changes.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: LTP, PP
This manual calling process I simply do not get.

WN captures email, phone numbers and preferred method of contact - it is mandatory.

So they call everyone personally if the flight moves greater than 15 minutes way into the future but come day of the flight, its extremely hit or miss whether they contact you if the flight is delayed, canceled or otherwise. When its time critical and you could actual make proactive plans like delaying your trip to the airport, not turning in a rental car or checking out.

I think this screams volumes that WN themselves have no confidence in their alert systems and even more annoying, no plans to fix it. Why not fix and automate both?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by joshua362
This manual calling process I simply do not get.

WN captures email, phone numbers and preferred method of contact - it is mandatory.

So they call everyone personally if the flight moves greater than 15 minutes way into the future but come day of the flight, its extremely hit or miss whether they contact you if the flight is delayed, canceled or otherwise. When its time critical and you could actual make proactive plans like delaying your trip to the airport, not turning in a rental car or checking out.

I think this screams volumes that WN themselves have no confidence in their alert systems and even more annoying, no plans to fix it. Why not fix and automate both?
I believe that the manual contact is a means of being proactive in customer service, since most people will end up calling into customer service after receiving a robocall or text notification to figure out what really happened and what is the impact. This way, if the notification comes from a human, they can ask questions and work issues on that one call.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Southwest called me today about a schedule change for 12/3 TPA/MSP.

I wish Delta, AA and united would call instead of just making the change and never alerting me until I log in to check my flights.

SDelta usually makes several changes to any flight I book so now I make a point of checking them every couple weeks
Delta will email you if you have it set up in your profile. I have a bunch of "Your Delta Itinerary has changed" emails archived as proof. However, if your flight is more that 2 months out, they won't email you until the 2 month mark.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by SCGustafson
I believe that the manual contact is a means of being proactive in customer service, since most people will end up calling into customer service after receiving a robocall or text notification to figure out what really happened and what is the impact. This way, if the notification comes from a human, they can ask questions and work issues on that one call.
The other added benefit, if you want to call it that, when you get a call from a rep and get it changed right then and there is that you will then get an additional free change to the PNR. It is a one time offer but the change can be done anytime and to any date with in 14 days of the original date of travel.

Scenario 1: You get a call, make the initial change over the phone with that person to a flight of YOUR choosing and you still get one more change free.

Scenario 2: You get a call but don't answer, voicemail left and email notification received of changes to the reservation. You take whatever change they give you but still get one free change.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Delta will email you if you have it set up in your profile. I have a bunch of "Your Delta Itinerary has changed" emails archived as proof. However, if your flight is more that 2 months out, they won't email you until the 2 month mark.
I usually book 10 months out on Delta so that's probably why I am not alerted but it makes no sense not to tell people ASAP so they can get the best flights and seats, that is one reason why I book early to begin with.

I have also had plane type changes where Delta broke up passengers in the same itinerary and we were unable to sit together but they still had premium ( not 1st class, forget what Delta calls them) seating open.

If I was notified of the change as soon as it occurred it's possible I could have found seats together.

Now I log into Delta once a week to check things myself
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:52 pm

I'll agree the process is wonky... I had my aunt and uncle booked on a RT using my points, reserved at the same time, got a call about my Aunt 6 full days before they finally got around to changing the flight for my Uncle and calling me. During those 6 days, my Uncles confirmation number wouldn't pull anything up on the website.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by klepton
I'll agree the process is wonky... I had my aunt and uncle booked on a RT using my points, reserved at the same time, got a call about my Aunt 6 full days before they finally got around to changing the flight for my Uncle and calling me. During those 6 days, my Uncles confirmation number wouldn't pull anything up on the website.
If they aren't cross referenced, then it just falls to where the PNR is in queue. If you are making multiple reservations for the same party it doesn't hurt to call and have them cross referenced together. This doesn't impact the ability to modify online either. That way if a change happens it all gets handled at once.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I just got called on a flight change too. It's an hour and 35 minute change - but I'm still OK with the new flight departure time (it's still the most convenient of all the airlines). The voicemail said to call them back to let them know I am OK with the change. Am I required to call them back? If I do nothing they will keep my flight as is, correct?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I just got called on a flight change too. It's an hour and 35 minute change - but I'm still OK with the new flight departure time (it's still the most convenient of all the airlines). The voice mail said to call them back to let them know I am OK with the change. Am I required to call them back? If I do nothing they will keep my flight as is, correct?
Since they are usually pretty flexible with changes I usually just ignore the notices until just before the flight to see if I need to make any last minute adjustments. Then if necessary I can usually get an earlier or later flight on their nickel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.