Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Woman sneaks on SJC-LAX without boarding pass, arrested at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman sneaks on SJC-LAX without boarding pass, arrested at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office operates the largest prison/jail system in the world.

With the ongoing financial problems of the state of California, the overcrowding of local jail systems will continue to get worse. The general public really has no clue truly how bad it is.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local-...d-viole/nWcdm/

In an effort to get at least somewhat back on-topic, do we know if/how this ol' gal has (or will) find her way back to the Bay Area?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Have you watched any of the video interviews of her? If not you may want to consider doing so.

She comes off as a lucid, articulate, sweet, apologetic old granny lady. She seems to have some strange persistent kink with regard to traveling without a ticket.

I'm not sure the solution is locking her up in the slammer, except for maybe the 3 days time served.
That was my initial impression, but a serial violator must be drawing TSA and DoJ attention. She is apparently not dissuaded by probation.

I'm still surprised that TSA would fine Southwest and aparently not diciplie their ow employees.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm still surprised that TSA would fine Southwest and aparently not diciplie their ow employees.
Why? If the airline does a 100% match between boarding passes and passengers (what I've read was she snuck on with a family) and does an accurate count there is no issue. Somebody got sloppy.

I'm not sure what (if any) theTSA issue is, they aren't saying, and I'm not going to speculate.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: Hhonors Silver, Aadvantage Platinum
Just chain her to a pipe in the hall.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Originally Posted by haddon90
if you have an invalid boarding pass and they scan it...shouldn't that set off a red flag?
Not always.

I had a out-and-back trip once on another airline. Due to the time of day, the mobile pass it was giving me was the return trip... It was a mobile pass, and I was unable to retrieve the correct one (outbound). Despite scanning it and being the erroneous one, it was just "hey, wrong BP buddy" and nothing more said about it.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Why? If the airline does a 100% match between boarding passes and passengers (what I've read was she snuck on with a family) and does an accurate count there is no issue. Somebody got sloppy.

I'm not sure what (if any) theTSA issue is, they aren't saying, and I'm not going to speculate.
I can see that. "Was it 143 +1 or just 143?" "I had 143." "Well, there's a +1" "OK... let's go with it."

As for the TSA, she could have done a couple things. Created a forged boarding pass without a PRE barcode, so that BP wouldn't validated by barcode, or could have even bought a valid ticket to get the BP issued, but then cancelled the ticket.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ohange
As for the TSA, she could have done a couple things. Created a forged boarding pass without a PRE barcode, so that BP wouldn't validated by barcode, or could have even bought a valid ticket to get the BP issued, but then cancelled the ticket.

New reports said she didn't have a boarding pass and sneaked by the checker.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office operates the largest prison/jail system in the world.

With the ongoing financial problems of the state of California, the overcrowding of local jail systems will continue to get worse. The general public really has no clue truly how bad it is.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local-...d-viole/nWcdm/

In an effort to get at least somewhat back on-topic, do we know if/how this ol' gal has (or will) find her way back to the Bay Area?
California's "financial problems" are largely over, with the state having a budget surplus, which is increasing.

Local jail overcrowding is in part caused by federal court orders limiting the number of state prison inmates, with the result that lower-level prisoners are serving time in county jails, leading to less room for people like our friend.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
How long till she's back at the local airport?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by go_around
Days. And I predict (above) this will eventually escalate into a bigger problem...
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I have seen some FAs using a device similar to http://www.trait-tech.com/product/T-...ng-device.html this. One head, one press. Goes very quick. Can't miscount.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975
I have seen some FAs using a device similar to http://www.trait-tech.com/product/T-...ng-device.html this. One head, one press. Goes very quick. Can't miscount.
These days its probably easier to click on an empty seat, and more accurate too.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by go_around
No, she won't be back at local airport again. If she done it again. She will be arrested again. She ordered to stay away from the airport property.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
No, she won't be back at local airport again. If she done it again. She will be arrested again. She ordered to stay away from the airport property.
And why would this order / warning be any different than the others? Unless she got roughed up in jail and maybe got some sense beat into her...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by chx1975
Wow thats a steal at $2.56

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.