Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Woman sneaks on SJC-LAX without boarding pass, arrested at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman sneaks on SJC-LAX without boarding pass, arrested at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
How she got onto the plane with a valid pass and miscounted on the plane is a double embarrassment to WN, not TSA.
Agreed. WN not saying much about this. My guess is she snuck thru the door when the gate agent was distracted. Then, the FA decided the count was "close enough" rather than try to figure it out the discrepancy. Just my guess
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Absolutely. Anyone can get into the secure area with a phony or cancelled boarding pass. How she got onto the plane with a valid pass and miscounted on the plane is a double embarrassment to WN, not TSA.
I gotten through screening with the wrong boarding pass at least 3 times, twice with my wife's for the same flight and once with an old boarding pass still in my pocket. I have no idea how many times it's happened to my wife, and I doubt she knows. Only once has the screener caught an error. Of course we always have the correct one, we're just a little disorganized.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA1K
if you have an invalid boarding pass and they scan it...shouldn't that set off a red flag?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by haddon90
if you have an invalid boarding pass and they scan it...shouldn't that set off a red flag?
Assuming in this case you mean "they" = Southwest, yes it definitely does error on the GA's terminal.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Good job TSA..........NOT.
Guess not!

Originally Posted by airplanegod
This is much funnier considering I just finished the book Airport with Ada Quonsett.
Ah, yes! I remember the movie. I watch Airport '70 movie. The old lady who sneaks to boards a flight without ticket. She went into lavatory and she hidden in a lavatory when the plane is takeoff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_(1970_film)
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She was arrested again, this time at the UA terminal at LAX:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stowaw...214542806.html
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:35 pm

I wonder why can't airlines do something like Lufthansa with their E-Boarding System whereby you have to insert your boarding pass for the Boarding Door to open like on a Subway?

Also at TSA if there were a Boarding Pass Kiosk whereby you must insert your Boarding Pass and it will allow you into the TSA Screening Area. The machine would read the Barcode and make sure your name matches your ID that you swiped to activate the machine. If a Red Light Appears or three Beeps then the TSA Agent must intervene or else the Control Gates won't be able to open until the TSA Agent swipes his or her ID and enters the 4 digit code.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
She was arrested again, this time at the UA terminal at LAX:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stowaw...214542806.html
Seems like she has some issues:

Hartman had recently left mental health treatment that she had been ordered to attend and said homelessness drove her to take "desperate measures." She said she feels safer being in airports than in the streets.
That's probably why no one wanted to arrest her. A rare case of good sense prevailing.

I thought I posted this already but it didn't show up.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
That's probably why no one wanted to arrest her. A rare case of good sense prevailing.

I thought I posted this already but it didn't show up.
She's a con artist. There's a big difference between "being in an airport" and systematically sneaking past security when they are distracted
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:58 pm

I wonder if she has family? I just dunno...borderline personality disorder or pure con job...wacko?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
I wonder why can't airlines do something like Lufthansa with their E-Boarding System whereby you have to insert your boarding pass for the Boarding Door to open like on a Subway?

Also at TSA if there were a Boarding Pass Kiosk whereby you must insert your Boarding Pass and it will allow you into the TSA Screening Area. The machine would read the Barcode and make sure your name matches your ID that you swiped to activate the machine. If a Red Light Appears or three Beeps then the TSA Agent must intervene or else the Control Gates won't be able to open until the TSA Agent swipes his or her ID and enters the 4 digit code.
What about the case where the someone's ID doesn't match exactly what's on their ticket (think middle initials vs. full middle names, where suffixes go, etc.)? What about when someone doesn't have an ID? What about when someone's ID isn't machine-readable?

In any case, there's no point in doing it. Shouldn't have the BP checker to begin with, and we really don't need to spend another million dollars or more on some technology that's probably not going to work half the time.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by danielonn

Because its an expensive solution in search of a problem. Is this a big deal or threat in the grand scheme of things? Spend the money figuring out who is letting this wacko out on the streets time and time again...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
One question I have: They mention how many times she has been caught doing this. How many times has she not been caught and flown successfully and no one ever figured it out.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
One question I have: They mention how many times she has been caught doing this. How many times has she not been caught and flown successfully and no one ever figured it out.
Good question.

Another good one: Why doesn't the US have a decent public health system that helps people like that?

I guess it is easuer to blame and fine the victims (here: WN).
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by kjnangre
She still got screened. Not really a security threat
Truth. Identity shouldn't matter at all, so long as one is WEI free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.