Wiki Posts
Search

Ticketing past January 4, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:40 pm
RJ1
Original Poster

When will ticketing past January 4, 2015 open up?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, HGP Diamond, HH Gold, Marriott, CC Gold, SPG
August 4
http://www.southwest.com/html/travel-tool

Making us wait to book Superbowl travel! 😡
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: HH Silver
It would be nice if the very first "sticky" was titled something like.... "Click here for schedule extension date", and then provide the link. This question seems to get asked about every 2 weeks.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Originally Posted by tatterdema
It would be nice if the very first "sticky" was titled something like.... "Click here for schedule extension date", and then provide the link. This question seems to get asked about every 2 weeks.
The question would still get asked every 2 weeks.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Every question gets asked over and over and over and over. I have stopped answering the most egregious examples.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by schmoove
The question would still get asked every 2 weeks.
Especially when (as in this case) the link the OP is provided doesn't work. Here's the correct one:

http://www.southwest.com/html/travel-tools/index.html
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP

Does anyone know when the next schedule extension will happen? Had to ask it!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:12 am
RJ1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by normalone
Especially when (as in this case) the link the OP is provided doesn't work. Here's the correct one:

http://www.southwest.com/html/travel-tools/index.html
Thanks for the link. I don't know if that is the only reference to ticket sale availability on the website, but I had a hard time finding it.

I don't frequent the WN forum often, so apologies to schmoove, toomanybooks and any other seasoned veterans for my asking this question.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:29 am

Does anyone have past experience with booking Super Bowl flights on WN? Is this something that you check at 12:01am on Aug 4?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:33 am

Booking generally opens around 6 a.m. Central Time. I don't have experience booking Super Bowl trips, but don't expect any good fares to be offered for it at schedule opening: I don't know if it will be only Anytime fares or WGA fares that are pretty close to AT.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gunner725
Does anyone have past experience with booking Super Bowl flights on WN? Is this something that you check at 12:01am on Aug 4?
I did go to the one in New Orleans a couple years ago with the Ravens and 49ers. We weren’t planning to go but Ms. Marko scored 2 tickets the day after the matchup was set. Of course everything was sold out or ~$500 each way out of BWI right away. We already had a weekend in Tampa planned so we just cut that short and changed our ticket to TPA > MSY and it ended up being ~$100 pp getting in on the morning of game day. I had to go to work in Birmingham Monday morning so I used my CP to get her there to BHM then she got a normally priced fare to home later that day.

So it might be cheaper to wait until the matchup is set and just fly from a city far removed from either team. But then again prices might not go up until the matchup is actually determined. Do that many people really want to go to the game if their team isn’t in it? Find out and report back to us

WN also did run couple charters to/from BWI but I have no idea how one would go about getting on one of those. Maybe it was for those affiliated with the team.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by rove312
Booking generally opens around 6 a.m. Central Time. I don't have experience booking Super Bowl trips, but don't expect any good fares to be offered for it at schedule opening: I don't know if it will be only Anytime fares or WGA fares that are pretty close to AT.
Since no one knows which teams will in the game and since most tickets are given sponsors, players and other big shots, relatively few tickets are available to the general public. Except for the cities whose teams are playing relatively few people travel to the Super Bowl, probably more from New Your or LA than any other place.

I went to the Superbowl in Miami. I was able to buy a ticket relatively cheaply well in advance of the game, before the teams were decided but long after the schedule opened.

After the teams were announced some inexpensive tickets were available from cities not directly involved. If the area is a resort area the games doesn't really cause that much disruption. Even in smaller cities like New Orleans where the are a lot of hotel rooms, it's not a problem. Some cities with fewer accommodations a visitors like Indianapolis could be tricky.

Of course if you book with points and a cheaper fare shows up later you can always rebook.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:28 pm

My plan was to book with points as every other carrier has black-out dates around that weekend (also the flexibility of rebooking and not being tied to a 1 year voucher).

Was already planning on going down for the Waste Management Open and then realized it was also Super Bowl weekend. Even if my team doesn't make it (GO PACK!) it would still be cool to be around when all the festivities are going on. Also, have a good friend that lives in Phoenix so I won't have to deal with booking a hotel.

I'll let you guys know what I find!
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:07 am

Update:

Thursday and Monday flights didn't have any WGA fares so ended up with;

Wed Night - MDW-PHX 7pm ~11k points
Tues Morning - PHX-MDW 10am ~ 14k points

Not too bad, definitely helps having a friends that lives in the area and not having to worry about hotels
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Did Wanna Get Away flights from MDW-PHX for the Super Bowl sell out instantly? Or is WN really only offering Anytime/Business Select fares for those dates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.