Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN allegedly damages competitive shooter's guns

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

http://turlockcitynews.com/news/item...mpetition-guns
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:01 am

So the gun was in a hard sided case surrounding by foam, all while the gun was wrapped in bubble wrap. The picture showed a couple gouges to the woodwork of the gun. Where is the evidence of the case being crushed in order to create such damage?

They need to just follow the claims process. Central Baggage will do their investigation and issue reimbursement where it is appropriate. I'm not sure this one passes the smell test, especially when they already went to the press over it.

Regardless of this, damaged and delayed bags happen and there is a process for it to be handled. Why is this news again?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Those little nicks look more like damage from propping the gun up ton something to shoot it. And something about the peculiar quality of the whining, "those are my tools," etc., and the fact that the guy apparently seeks crowd funding for his hobby, as well as the apparent inability to show any damage to the packaging makes me very skeptical.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: sw
I see how alot of things can get damaged on the ramp, as that is my job. But i don't see how these, in a case none the less can get those marks on them from anything southwest rampers would do.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: None
the kid packaged his baggage incorrectly. Drive if the guns are that valuable to you.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:41 am

A Pelican case is military-grade casing for transporting firearms. Even the snipers use them for their very expensive rifles and optics. I use a marine-grade aluminum case for my shotguns, and it is remarkable what kind of scratches show up on it. The gouges look like something heavy and sharp punctured the case, which is not impossible. Might have been caused by someone trying to break into the case...

That being said, there is not $11K in damages. You can pretty much buy a new Perazzi for that cost. The damage shown is just to the forearm, and does not render the gun unusable. A forearm is the easiest part of the stock to replace. The buttstock is typically the most customized part of the stock on a competition gun, and typically requires fitting. Maybe the stock got cracked or something?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by Teasip82
A Pelican case is military-grade casing for transporting firearms. Even the snipers use them for their very expensive rifles and optics.
Perazzi's are IMO sold with a great case that will prevent any damage. Just add a lock and it's good to go on a trip.

Trying to jam two into a Pelican that might just be the egg crate foam and not custom cut might invite damage. These are heavy guns and deserve a high density closed cell custom foam. I wouldn't even trust the pinch and pull open cell foam Pelican option.

IMO the gouges look like the forearm may have contacted the breech face or end of the action multiple times. Perazzi cases have velcro to secure the action/buttstock to prevent that. Bubble wrap is no match for a sharp machined edge.

Last edited by traveller001; Jul 30, 2014 at 12:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.