Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
WN reports record profit in 2Q

http://southwest.investorroom.com/in...s=43&item=1916
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:42 am

17.1% ROIC...Gary may get his 15% ROI after all. Shame only 40% of the company trusts him right now. I can only imagine this will make contract negotiations with everyone even more...entertaining.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by flyventure
17.1% ROIC...Gary may get his 15% ROI after all. Shame only 40% of the company trusts him right now. I can only imagine this will make contract negotiations with everyone even more...entertaining.
Although it is at the higher edge, isn't a 10-15% ROI considered normal?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:53 am

Southwest has long had a target of 15% ROI. GK seems obsessed with it.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

8-K filed with SEC. Lotsa financial detail:

http://app.quotemedia.com/data/downl...led=2014-07-24
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
8-K filed with SEC. Lotsa financial detail:

http://app.quotemedia.com/data/downl...led=2014-07-24
That 8-K is nothing more than the press release you linked in your OP. Press releases announcing quarterly earnings are filed with the SEC.

The 10-Q, which should be filed in the next few days, will contain lotsa details not disclosed in the press release.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
That 8-K is nothing more than the press release you linked in your OP. Press releases announcing quarterly earnings are filed with the SEC.

The 10-Q, which should be filed in the next few days, will contain lotsa details not disclosed in the press release.
Helpful post, thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
And apparently every employee is getting a one-time 200.00 bonus!

I'd like a bone, too. Bet I don't get one.. not even a promo.

Herb never had trust numbers that low... bet he never had numbers under 75% (of course, if they were measured back then)
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
WN reports record profit in 2Q
But then a bunch of other USA-based airlines[/B] had unexpectly high profits in the same quarter. That was all over the news this morning. And on the front page of FlyerTalk later today:

http://www.flyertalk.com/story/airli...s-reports.html

So unlike some cases in the past, WN was simply part of the flock this time. For example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...profit-q2.html

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 24, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by mile ho

Herb never had trust numbers that low... bet he never had numbers under 75% (of course, if they were measured back then)
As far as I know the employee survey has been going on for quite some time, and I think Herb was still around when they started. And yes, every employee is getting a $200 bonus the first week of August.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mile ho

That's what happened to our promos this year! $200 bonuses for employees instead!

Far cry from last year at this time with double points promo, double points visa promo, extended double points visa promo, etc.. This year, NADA.

Record ticket costs + no promos = record revenue and no problem meeting EBIT goals.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
LUV stock is doing well too.

GK's job is to make money. Its a balance between treating customers well, charging low fares (but not too low) and keeping employees happy. Not easy.

Also, you can charge more for tickets for a while, but just like that "upstart SWA" back in the 1970's, if you charge too much for too long, someone is going to come along and create new competition. For example, Virgin America?

New competition in a more consolidated industry is harder as the barriers to entry are higher than they used to be. There was a time (1970's) when you could start an airline serving just 3 cities. I doubt you could do that today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.