Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:25 pm

I suspect Southwest will eventually go to assigned seating. There are too many issues caused but their current system, and the possibilities for monetizing seat selection outweigh those open seating offers.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
AA put my wife or anyone booking under my number the same advantages I have, and their boarding passes show it.

WN, just jump the line, save a few seats, not a big deal. I am surprised the GA even caught it, the FA never seem to care.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by ursine1
I suspect Southwest will eventually go to assigned seating. There are too many issues caused but their current system, and the possibilities for monetizing seat selection outweigh those open seating offers.
This comment has no data to back this....

Yes, eventually. 2024, 2034.....
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by antinseattle
This comment has no data to back this....

Yes, eventually. 2024, 2034.....
Because it's my opinion.

I also suspect it will be way before then. More likely 5 years or so at most.

The above statement is also my opinion.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I agree, even though I much prefer open seating. Money talks.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Because it's my opinion.

The above statement is also my opinion.
Probably. I mistook "there are too many issues with current system" as a statement of fact. Not an opinion
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by antinseattle
Probably. I mistook "there are too many issues with current system" as a statement of fact. Not an opinion
There are many real issues with the current system.

Southwest sells places in line (Early Boarding and $40 at the gate A 1-15 ) but inconsistently enforces the rules as they are written including some absurd restrictions like children under 12 not boarding with their parents, status not transferring to young children, occasional massive seat saving with no intervention by FAs. Not to mention the fare increases above industry averages.

Pretty much everyone who flies regularly has some issue with the system as it currently exists.

The longer Southwest ignores the current situation the more customer loyalty will erode. Eventually many formerly loyal customers will be negatively impacted by the occasional chaos and seek alternatives.

Beyond the Open Seating/Boarding issues, Southwest faces issues on many other fronts.

I notice Spirit has announced a number of new routes recently which directly compete on high volume routes with Southwest. Virgin America has moved into DAL with competition on some of the new long routes out of DAL. Frontier is positioning itself as the friendly ULCC and has yet to really benefit from the infusion of new capital.

Southwest is stretching it's long term relationships with it's unions and dealing with an influx of former Airtran employees who don't share same perspective of long time Southwest employees.

Things will be interesting over the next few years.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Pretty much everyone who flies regularly has some issue with the system as it currently exists.
I don't. I have Preferred status and I'm not picky about what seat I get.

I'm happy not to have to sit on the floor in line for half an hour like I did last century! I'm easy.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by nsx

I'm happy not to have to sit on the floor in line for half an hour like I did last century! I'm easy.
You are a mensch, ^

Truly I don't have often have problems, but when I do it's frustrating.

My major issue is the uncertainty, and lack of flexibility (except when Southwest decides to be weird) but then I may be borderline OCD.

I also suspect you wouldn't have much of a problem with assigned seating.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by nsx

What he said. All of it.

Those that honestly believe Spirit is any sort real completion for any other significant carrier should go fly them. Every day. Forever. They deserve each other.

Frontier has been circling the bowl for a long time. Three hubs in Denver is at least one too many. That's also been the case for a long time. Frontier has been doing the route-map-shuffle recently, which when combined with the everything-is-optional pricing makes them look like a combination pizza of Spirit & Allegiant. Good luck with that. Let a bad thing happen in the Middle East causing oil to spike 50% overnight and that will be the end of Frontier. It's too bad, 'cause they were a great operation back in the day. So was TWA, Pan Am, Eastern, et al.

I've heard Virgin is a great ride. In this day of 3 "legacies" + The Behemoth that is Southwest, Virgin America just isn't big enough to matter.

Things most certainly WILL be "interesting" in the coming years.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:19 pm
Suspended

This is definetly an opinion. No data supports this. Which would be facts

I fly a lot. I have zero issues with WN

My loyalty to WN is strong. No issues

FT is at best "the 1 percent". Don't confuse the "1 percent" with "everyone who flies often"

There are many real issues with the current system.

Southwest sells places in line (Early Boarding and $40 at the gate A 1-15 ) but inconsistently enforces the rules as they are written including some absurd restrictions like children under 12 not boarding with their parents, status not transferring to young children, occasional massive seat saving with no intervention by FAs. Not to mention the fare increases above industry averages.

The longer Southwest ignores the current situation the more customer loyalty will erode. Eventually many formerly loyal customers will be negatively impacted by the occasional chaos and seek alternatives.

Beyond the Open Seating/Boarding issues, Southwest faces issues on many other fronts.

I notice Spirit has announced a number of new routes recently which directly compete on high volume routes with Southwest. Virgin America has moved into DAL with competition on some of the new long routes out of DAL. Frontier is positioning itself as the friendly ULCC and has yet to really benefit from the infusion of new capital.

Southwest is stretching it's long term relationships with it's unions and dealing with an influx of former Airtran employees who don't share same perspective of long time Southwest employees.

Things will be interesting over the next few years.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Frontier is positioning itself as the friendly ULCC and has yet to really benefit from the infusion of new capital.
Nothing feels friendly about Frontier's garbage fees. They are completely impractical for me for any trip longer than a daytrip.

I don't really see Frontier as a threat to Southwest or the legacies. I like that it exists and that other people fly them, but I have to wonder how long it will exist. The only positive thing I can say about it is that it doesn't have Spirit's 28" seats.

I fly MCI-DEN quite a bit. Usually United, Southwest in a pinch, but never Frontier. Even on a 2-day trip, I can't get everything into my laptop bag. That's ridiculous.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by steved5480
Those that honestly believe Spirit is any sort real completion for any other significant carrier should go fly them. Every day. Forever. They deserve each other.
My wife has. On many occasions. And it hasnt been bad at all or I'd never have heard the end of it.

The choice was to pay ~$190 for a 1-way WN flight from MSP-MDW on a WGA fare versus ~$13 for a Spirit flight from MSP-ORD. Oh and we have a bag that fits under the seat so she didnt even pay the checked bag fee. So it really was $13 all-in.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:37 am

Eh, I wonder... I keep seeing people say that the guy could have waited to post his tweet. I am left wondering, however, why should he have to? Assuming he has the right to lodge a complaint, and assuming that it was non-threatening (or you bet the TSA AND the local police would have been all over that), what good reason would there be to justify the idea that the possibility of intimidation is a good reason to postpone posting a complaint, or that such a possibility is even appropriate in the first place?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
I booked a Frontier flight for my relative because ATL-PHL pricing has become ridiculous under WN management for AirTran flights.

So she was charged a mere 15 bucks (Discount Den price) for her checkin bag. Just 3 bucks for an assigned aisle seat. Total fees = $18.

What I didn't get is why they feel like they have to charge more for carryon than checkin bags. She decided to pack everything and just take a personal item bag.

But Frontier has already announced suspending flights to ILG from December. So there goes a little competition for that PHL area even if they will still fly Trenton. I don't think Frontier will end up being any serious competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.