Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362

FT'ers who insist that throwing money at EBCI is the answer so Mr. A-16 can stress that his 5 year old gets on safely with a paid for A-60 or much worse B-1. And forget that they used to be a kid or have small kids once.
I just don't get this argument. I have GE, but that doesn't mean I think I am entitled to bring my traveling companion in the pre-check line. And if TSA tells me I can, I don't assume that means I am entitled to do so every time.

And suggesting that it's about kids is a red herring. I have kids, and I make lots of concessions to traveling with kids. It boggles my mind to think that someone might feel the need to have their 5 yo board separately because they are so intent on getting their "special privileges."

Last edited by Homer15; Jul 30, 2014 at 1:12 pm
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
It really comes down to this. If the dad had two grown kids, he could have gone ahead in his spot and saved those two seats while his grown kids come later. And yes, most of the FAs would have let him do that. (remember my tattletale comment from a FA on one of my flights).
So how is that different from this dad wanting to take his two lil kids along with him.

A good compromise would be for the GA to tell him "sir, the rules say you cannot have them board with you. But I will gtive you a break. If you agree to board in the next batch, your kids get to board earlier and you only give up a few spots. If the dad still acts like a kid, then that's on him.

Having said that, the dad should be begging for a favor instead of acting entitled. But the majority of the blame falls on the GA as the passenger did not hold up the line and boarded later.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FCfree
Most airlines charge bag fees and change fees.
Actually, whatever bag fees apply to an elite on a given PNR usually apply to the whole PNR. In other words, there's pretty good precedent that airlines typically allow the perks of elite status to extend to others on the PNR. Occasionally limited by a large travel group, but almost never limited by 1-2 small children flying with the elite member. And rarely the most simple and basic of elite perks - preboarding the plane.

Change fees aren't typically variable by elite status. Rare exceptions such as award redeposit fees for 1K/EXP, etc.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by ursine1
Apparently, Southwest management later decided his business has enough value to have Gary Kelly go on national television and say, "We’ll work really hard to keep that customer; he’s a great guy. We’ve apologized to him and hopefully he’ll keep flying on Southwest Airlines.”
.....and that was pointless from Gary Kelly. The guy won't be flying Southwest again anyways. Gary Kelly just wasted his time.

And by the way. The crew on my last flight was rude to me. I won't be flying Southwest again. LOL

Last edited by SDCA; Jul 28, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by SDCA
.....and that was pointless from Gary Kelly. The guy won't be flying Southwest again anyways. Gary Kelly just wasted his time.

And by the way. The crew on my last flight was rude to me. I won't be flying Southwest again. LOL
Again -- check out the date on the tweet posted a couple pages ago:

Not only is he flying Southwest, he's sending kudos for good customer service. (Just like he did right before he posted the negative comment that caused the agent's freakout.)
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
WN GAs have a history of bad reactions to complaint tweets:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/a...d-in-tennessee
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Talkradio boilerplate is hardly on point. Watson previously tweeted atta-boys praising SWA employees he named - to which the company gratefully responded. He and his two kids already were in their seats.

Contriving a "safety" issue over an unfavorable tweet is harassment.

He didn't actually say what the tweet said, he said that it was something like what he said. Which probably means it was a lot worse.

WN also claimed that that wasn't the reason he was asked to deplane.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
When an employee wears a nametag in public, then as much of the name as appears on the nametag (first name, first name and surname initial, first initial and surname, etc.) is fair game. If someone wants to be completely anonymous, then s/he shouldn't be in a job which requires the wearing of a nametag.
Yes, and when you arrive at an airport you agree to be probed and x-rayed and have your nude photos spread on the internet. If that offends you take the train.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Actually, whatever bag fees apply to an elite on a given PNR usually apply to the whole PNR. In other words, there's pretty good precedent that airlines typically allow the perks of elite status to extend to others on the PNR. Occasionally limited by a large travel group, but almost never limited by 1-2 small children flying with the elite member. And rarely the most simple and basic of elite perks - preboarding the plane.

Change fees aren't typically variable by elite status. Rare exceptions such as award redeposit fees for 1K/EXP, etc.
Maybe, but the order of boarding doesn't matter as much on AA as it does on WN. Sure, maybe you don't get your bag where you'd like it but on WN maybe you get to sit next to two 300lbs people.

I would more say that everyone getting the same boarding priority was equal to upgrades on other airlines, which usually isn't extended to everyone.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: LTP, PP

Not only is he flying Southwest, he's sending kudos for good customer service. (Just like he did right before he posted the negative comment that caused the agent's freakout.)
So in other words, Tonya at MDW let the kids board with him...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by theddo
Maybe, but the order of boarding doesn't matter as much on AA as it does on WN. Sure, maybe you don't get your bag where you'd like it but on WN maybe you get to sit next to two 300lbs people.
I somewhat agree...if we're talking something like A15 vs. C30. Then, boarding order can matter. A15 vs. A18 isn't going to subject the A18 person to a middle seat between two people of any size.

I would more say that everyone getting the same boarding priority was equal to upgrades on other airlines, which usually isn't extended to everyone.
I completely disagree: I don't see the order in which we all walk onto the airplane as being remotely comparable to the difference between F and Y. Boarding order, within the very narrow sequence we're talking about here (being the 10th-ish person onboard vs. the 15th) is a completely negligible difference. Even if the guy with the kids is FIRST in line and there are zero thrus, he can't take the exit row so he can't materially impact you in any way.

Originally Posted by joshua362
So in other words, Tonya at MDW let the kids board with him...
Sanity prevails at Midway! Good for Tonya. ^
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Still wondering when WN will fix this boarding rat's nest they have created.
You mean the Gordian knot.

All we FT'ers have to offer is some hack solution.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K

pssst, June 24th is before July 20th, so your point is not being made (assuming I'm reading your sentence structure correctly). I don't see any evidence that he's flying Southwest after the incident.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by nsx
You mean the Gordian knot.

All we FT'ers have to offer is some hack solution.
They could always go to assigned seating.

There I said it.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by DiscHandler
pssst, June 24th is before July 20th, so your point is not being made (assuming I'm reading your sentence structure correctly). I don't see any evidence that he's flying Southwest after the incident.
Damnit! Sorry, my bad -- I misread it. <embarrassed>
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:43 pm

<embarrassed>
There's a smiley for that
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
They could always go to assigned seating.

There I said it.
*yawwwwwwwwn

I said it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.