Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
That explanation is not feasible in my opinion, other Southwest employees must have been involved, this wasn't a single employee acting alone.

That explanation (in particular that he 'kept this off social media') does not seem consistent with the other versions of events.
I see no evidence to the contrary, with the exception that it could be argued that his initial tweet (later deleted) was not "keeping this off social media."

If you have information to back up your opinion, please elaborate.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Executive
+1

Originally Posted by Arizzzona
She was clearly not physically threatened.

And her act to remove the passenger is tantamount to a lie.

Today, in a visible public service position, in this new social media world, it is a given that you have ceded your anonymity. That's just a fait accompli.

End result: Lousy PR for WN and a reinforcement of the sense that the old WN experience continues to fade and morph into being just another Legacy airline with .....y employees....

And yes, the guy sounds like a bit of Richard, but pulling him off the flight??? On a scale of 1 to 10 his actions are a 4, and hers a 25.

Okay, now for the Type A, engineer personality, rule worshippers, to resume saying this action was just fine....
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by dc2
I can't verify the sequence of events since I wasn't there, but the article indicates the following:

1. Dad and kids tried to board with Dad's A list boarding position and ops agent refused them.
But a gate agent wouldn’t let his 6-year-old and 9-year-old board with him — so they’d all have to wait to board later.

2. Dad had words with ops agent and threatened to send a tweet regarding his dissatisfaction with the situation.
“In leaving I said, you know, ‘Real nice way to treat an A-list. I’ll be sure to tweet about it,’” he said.

3. Dad and kids boarded and were seated on the plane.

4. Dad sent out a tweet specifying the gate and the individual involved (I don't know if the Dad used first and last name and the article abbreviated the last name to just the initial of the last name.)
“Something to the effect of, ‘Wow, rudest agent in Denver. (Name deleted), gate C39, not happy @SWA,’” he said.

5. I believe SWA monitors twitter--looking for messages that refer to Southwest. Maybe the ops agent monitors twitter--I don't know.

6. Dad and kids were removed from the plane and agent threatened them with calling law enforcement if the tweet was not deleted.
Soon after getting to their seats, the family of three was asked to leave the plane.
Watson’s daughter, Lucy, said she feared for her father.
“She said ‘I’m going to call the cops,’” Lucy said. “I like thought something bad was going to happen, like my dad being in jail.”

7. The Dad removed the tweet.

8. Dad and kids re-boarded the flight and arrived at their destination.

Seriously, though, I have stood behind folks who have had several children board with Dad's (or Mom's) boarding position. Dad (or Mom) hold the stack with their BP on top. I can see both sides of this issue. This is kind of what my mental conversation is when I see this happen---On one hand, it is a violation of the rules. But, if you travel with anyone it is as if you have no status. Sure, you could let your children board on their own at their own boarding position--who is going to do that? What if there is an issue with the boarding pass when it is being scanned in (after you have already been seated on the plane)? Are they going to come and get you from your seat on the plane? And, I know the kids won't be seated in the exit rows. Plus, I don't want to sit next to the Dad (or Mom), anyway.

The other question on my mind is what if Dad had tweeted his remarks after the plane had arrived at the destination? Did he break a law?
It appears the pax referred to the GA by her first name and last initial, in the original tweet and on Facebook.

I suspect the GA checked twitter immediately after finishing boarding the plane, prompted by the pax's comment, but I have no evidence to support that.

The pax was absolutely a douche bag… but the GA completely mishandled the situation.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:10 pm
dc2
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott: LTP
Originally Posted by ursine1
… but the GA completely mishandled the situation.
Yup--I doubt anyone would have taken notice of the tweet the Dad made had the family not been taken off the airplane. Now it is a news story.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by LAtraveler1
+1

Originally Posted by Arizzzona
She was clearly not physically threatened.

And her act to remove the passenger is tantamount to a lie.

Today, in a visible public service position, in this new social media world, it is a given that you have ceded your anonymity. That's just a fait accompli.

End result: Lousy PR for WN and a reinforcement of the sense that the old WN experience continues to fade and morph into being just another Legacy airline with .....y employees....

And yes, the guy sounds like a bit of Richard, but pulling him off the flight??? On a scale of 1 to 10 his actions are a 4, and hers a 25.

Okay, now for the Type A, engineer personality, rule worshippers, to resume saying this action was just fine....
How do each if you know she was not physically threatened? We have only the passenger's version of the account.

How is her act tantamount to a lie? We have only a one-sided abbreviated version of each person's actions.

Do you believe that the story telling pax was perfectly honest about how he treated the GA and didn't leave anything out?

This may or may not be fine. But, keep in mind the source. If this were a criminal trial, you have just been presented the prosecution's accusations....do you not give the accused an opportunity to refute? (I know the employee isn't going to talk publicly about this, but, I think it reasonable to take the passenger's account with a grain of salt)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:14 pm
dc2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
This.

Simply said, actions have consequences - users of social media and other "look-at-me" telecommunications methodologies need to realize that they're not exempt.
I am no fan of social media, but did the Dad break the law or violate the rules in the contract of carriage in sending out that tweet? (I don't know the answer to this question)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:16 pm
dc2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FindAWay
How do each if you know she was not physically threatened? We have only the passenger's version of the account.
Wouldn't the Dad have been arrested if that was the case?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ursine1
I see no evidence to the contrary, with the exception that it could be argued that his initial tweet (later deleted) was not "keeping this off social media."

If you have information to back up your opinion, please elaborate.
My point is your version of events credits all of WN's actions to a single employee, as I previously said:
There must be more to this story because I don't for one second believe the Southwest employee who told him his kids couldn't cut in line, the Southwest employee who read the tweet, the Southwest employee who removed him from the plane, and the Southwest employee who told him to delete the tweet are all the same employee. It seems to me the most obvious explanation is that someone in a supervisory role was alerted to this tweet and recognized that this passenger publicly disparaging a gate agent for simply enforcing the rules is not acceptable behavior.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:19 pm
NLO

Programs: AA
If SWA let him on a later flight isn't that enough proof the guy did not threaten the gate agent? We've heard his side and since that's the only side we've heard AND SWA let him fly on a later flight I'm ok with his version right now.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I have an idea. Let's all contact this silly dude via Facebook and ask him to give us his $50 certificates since he isn't going to use them. Maybe it'll go viral!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by dc2
The other question on my mind is what if Dad had tweeted his remarks after the plane had arrived at the destination? Did he break a law?
There is almost no way a tweet anything like the one described would be breaking the law. Interfering with flight crew is illegal, but how can sending a tweet be interfering with the flight crew?

If in fact Southwest monitors tweets (which I'm sure they do) and used the information to remove people from planes that is creepy and scary.

I continue to believe that something more must have happened. Most likely Mr. A-List was loud and obnoxious at the gate and continued to be once he boarded the plane. If so all I can think is poor kids.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:24 pm

My point is your version of events credits all of WN's actions to a single employee, as I previously said:
Slightly more info here, including additional tweets sent later:
Family kicked off a Southwest plane until the dad deleted a tweet calling the gate agent 'rude'

This article does seem to indicate that two employees were involved, the GA who felt threatened, and an FA who pulled the family off the plane. Oddly, no mention of the pilot (usually the final call on pulling a pax) or who exactly made the pax delete the tweet before reboarding.

So you're correct -- it looks like more than one Southwest employee made some bad decisions in handling this situation.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wow...abhorrent behavior by the GA... (Or the FA...or the Ops Agent...can't tell who was powertripping the worst here.)

The passenger was perhaps mildly douchy with the whole "I'm going to tweet about you" remark. That's petty and childish, but it's obvious at this point that it was not threatening.

This GA really should find a different line of work.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by dc2
I am no fan of social media, but did the Dad break the law or violate the rules in the contract of carriage in sending out that tweet? (I don't know the answer to this question)
Unless he threatened some kind of action I can't think of any reason why sending a tweet would be illegal nor is it in the Contract of Carriage. I don't believe it would be enforceable if it was.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by dc2
Seriously, though, I have stood behind folks who have had several children board with Dad's (or Mom's) boarding position. Dad (or Mom) hold the stack with their BP on top. I can see both sides of this issue. This is kind of what my mental conversation is when I see this happen---On one hand, it is a violation of the rules. But, if you travel with anyone it is as if you have no status. Sure, you could let your children board on their own at their own boarding position--who is going to do that? What if there is an issue with the boarding pass when it is being scanned in (after you have already been seated on the plane)? Are they going to come and get you from your seat on the plane? And, I know the kids won't be seated in the exit rows. Plus, I don't want to sit next to the Dad (or Mom), anyway.
I understand where you are coming from, but I applaud the gate agent for following the rules. Nothing drives me battier when boarding a plane than when the Group 4 passenger, who knows they're in Group 4, tries to board when they call group 1. I'd rather that they consistently followed the rules than inconsistently made up their own exceptions.

Where the GA went over the line, assuming that we have heard all the details correctly, is pulling that "security" crap. She wasn't threatened, and she knew she wasn't threatened. But she decided to play the power trip, simply because she could.

There's no question that this guy is an a*s. But the primary blame goes to the GA.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.