Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Wow, I don't know what all of you responders are on - the GA was out of line and I would have severely punished her for her behavior if I was her supervisor.

It's unclear whether the GA let them board with the father's boarding group or with theirs - probably, the latter, which caused the remark from the Dad. I see nothing wrong with the remark he made. He said she was the rudest agent and identified her by name and gate. When you complain about someone, you want them to be identified, so proper action is taken. The GA TOTALLY overacted by considering that to be a threat and DEMANDING to have the tweet deleted or have the passengers removed. She was so on a power trip - I don't know Kimberly S's track record but if it were me, I would fire her for that. She clearly overstepped.

Now, if she wants to sue the passenger for defamation for calling her "the rudest agent", go ahead, that's totally fine. But I doubt she'd win anything on such a lawsuit.
Dumbest comment I read today.

He is free to say what he wants, but there is a proper way to file a complaint and get it handled. People think they can say whatever and get away with it, sorry it doesn't work that way. You are free to say what you will, but that doesn't mean you get away without any repercussions.

If it were me I would have denied boarding, refunded the full cost of the tickets, and told them to find another airline. Douche bag mentality needs to be put into check and some just think because they have a certain status that they get to have their way all the time. It doesn't work like that. If he would have followed the rules like everyone else, instead of thinking himself more important than everyone else on the aircraft, this would have been a non-issue.

I also echo the comments on how the TV station was called on such a non-story. This guy is chasing attention.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:49 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Tanic
"Watson says he’s not satisfied with their response. All three received $50 vouchers, but Watson says he won’t fly Southwest Airlines again."
Excellent decision. If you don't want to follow an airline's rules, find another airline whose rules you prefer.

FWIW, FT's rules prohibit naming employees other than executives:
Do not post the names or contact information of travel company and program employees unless they hold executive management status (e.g. presidents, vice-presidents, managing directors).
If you break the rules FT will not give you $150.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
I wonder if he did not check in the kids at T-254 maybe they were high C, I know this maybe wrong buty I think he should atleast be able to board with family boarding

And I think tweets can get out of hand if your naming a persons full name
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
So the A list decided to have his kids cut the line.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by nsx
Excellent decision. If you don't want to follow an airline's rules, find another airline whose rules you prefer.

FWIW, FT's rules prohibit naming employees other than executives:

If you break the rules FT will not give you $150.
^^^
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 am
NLO

Programs: AA
The gate agent retaliated against the customer. That's wrong. The gate agent was not threatened and if the gate agent does not like feedback, even negative, then that agent is in the wrong line of work. Following rules does not give one the right to retaliate. She used her position of authority to punish feedback. How is that right? My 2cents.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Have we seen anywhere what the actual tweet said? The linked story includes a quote from the man that his tweet said "something to the effect of...." I'd be curious to see how close "something" is to the actual tweet.

I checked his twitter account and the tweet in question has been deleted so we may never know what was actually said.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:06 am

Another case of tyranny by FA who thinks they can threaten to have someone kicked off a plane if they don't like the way they were acting. Maybe the guy was a douche and he was wrong about the policy but SHE WAS NOT THREATENED. That excuse is pure bs justification -- words deliberately chosen because she knew it was the only way to get him thrown off. In other customer service world does the business hold this kind of power. I should be able to call the GA or FA a complete idiot right to their face and still be able to board the plane. Do you think I am going to jail if I call a Starbucks barista an idiot? No. I might get thrown out of the store but there's a million Starbucks and a million other coffee places. There's only one plane leaving right now where I already have a seat -- which is why the FA's feel so empowered. Of course, to actually get a paying passenger thrown off they have to lie and say they felt threatened, which they always conveniently do.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Lot of GA go with the flow, never gad a problem, suspect their is mire to the story.

Seen more passenger problems than GA problems,

Never be a SA to a GA,
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Stupidity on both sides of this equation. Sounds like all WN customers will benefit since the douchey dad refuses to fly WN again and won't be trying to chelate all the good seats with his progeny.

GA should be retrained, though, unless there is more to the story such as dad saying "I'll get you for this!!"
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat 100, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Beckles
Sounds like the passenger was definitely more wrong than the Southwest agent in my opinion. Publicly humiliating a Southwest employee because they would not break the rules for you is a big and I have a difficult time faulting Southwest for taking action against such a customer. The biggest fault I have with WN is that they gave him the option of deleting his tweet and flying on them, they should have just refunded his tickets and told him that his behavior was not acceptable.

Edited to add: I would like to clarify that I think the passenger's behavior was over the line because he specifically named the employee, if he had not done that my answer would be different (i.e., if the tweet simply excluded the first name and last initial of the agent).
I don't even think you need to add that qualification. This dude should know the rules, and he could have saved himself some "embarrassment."
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:25 am

I've read the news article, and I'm a bit confused.

"You can't board until you delete that tweet" said the GA.

The passenger and his family were seated when they were asked to deplane. So, one would surmise that the tweet HAD been deleted at that point.

Does a GA have the authority to deny boarding to a pax who has been boarded and seated? Is it not the pilot's and CC's call, at that point?

More to the story than is presented in this brief article, I'll bet.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that there may be more to the story and that it sounds like bad behaviour by all concerned.

The passenger was a major type-A-hole for telling the GA that he'd get even by posting on the silly social media site, and the GA responded in kind for getting even with him.

Had the dad waited until he arrived at MSP to post the offending note, then nobody at WN could have done anything to him.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
My money is that the guy said far more than was printed in the article and is now backpedaling.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
"Watson says he’s not satisfied with their response. All three received $50 vouchers, but Watson says he won’t fly Southwest Airlines again."

Since you won't be experiencing the horrors of SWA anymore, I'll take those pesky vouchers off your hands.
I hope he's telling th truth about that. I'd hate to have him on one of my flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.