Wow--UA FC fares vs WN fares DEN--PIT

Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Southwest has made some great moves and some poor ones. Our job is to help them assess which are which.
I don't think they are listening. Do you?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
That may be what they told you, but UA at IAD lies so much I wouldn't bet on it.

My wife refuses ever to set foot on a UA plane because of it. Bummer for me with all these UR points.
This story was told to me by UA agents in Denver. There were weather issues in the IAD area and my flight number was one where it started in IAD. However, they change aircraft in Denver. So, I can't remember the flight number, but there was a flight 123 (or whatever) from IAD to DEN. That arrived as some gate in DEN. My flight was also flight 123, but departing from a different gate. My airplane was sitting at the gate with no one to fly it. The IAD-DEN was clearly a different physical aircraft. Both the in-bound and out-bound were A-320's. While I can't prove they weren't lying, the story was consistent with the facts. Why they do that (change aircraft, keeping the same flight number), I have no idea. Seems like just added confusion to me.

Also, if they were lying, they should have come up with a better lie ... because their lie didn't cast them in the best light. If you are going to lie, at least come up with a story that makes you (UA) look good, not stupid!

My wife will fly on anything (except Aeroflot and maybe Malaysia these days) Vacation? Bring it on! But, like me, neither of us want to get ripped off by the airline. Companion pass? Oh yeah, lets go flying! Non-stop on UA vs. connection/land travel on SWA? How much are the bag fees? Gee, that really would be nice not to fly into SEA, spend the night, then take a train or car to YVR. OK, let's pay that UA rip off price. Sure wish WN flew to YVR (maybe coming soon?)

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I must admit that I have underestimated the importance of the "no change fee" policy to WN regulars, but don't folks get bitten by the upfare requirement at times? The free SDC on UA is great, but of course is of no use if your plans change three weeks out, whereas the WN policy is great in those circumstances.

In addition, the Companion Pass seems to be a big deal as well. Clearly there are advantages and disadvantages to both WN and UA, and one's flying patterns clearly play a big role in determining which airline works best. For me, I'm getting older and crankier and am a big guy (not a COS, but not a jockey either), so UA FC makes my travel bearable. I'm also able to pay the incremental cost in many cases, so I realize that I may be a bit of an outlier.
You've summed it up well. Nobody likes change fees or bag fees. Huge disadvantages of flying UA that they COULD get rid of if they wanted to.

Free SDC, a pretty nice benefit. I used to use it more on UA when I could book a cheaper later in the day flight and then jump to mid-day and know that I had a 95% chance of getting the earlier flight. I don't think that is the case anymore. Nice, but its usefulness varies, in my experience.

First class is truly a decent size seat. I appreciate your post. I will look more at UA. Trouble is, with companion pass, if UA first class is equal in price to WN devolve coach, when I am traveling with family, WN is still 33% cheaper for me (family of 3). But, if I am traveling alone... Yeah, UA, bring it on.

I LOVE Southwest, but I'm not married to Southwest. I will fly on someone other than Southwest when there is a logical argument for it. Southwest will still welcome me back, even if I have not been 100% faithful to them (although that Herb guy scares me just a little bit for "cheating" on SWA ... it is his baby daughter after all!)

Last edited by FCfree; Jul 28, 2014 at 4:42 pm
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by Bonehead
But don't folks get bitten by the upfare requirement at times?
I have never paid $150 for an up-fare. While YMMV, up-fare is always less than change fee. Also, should you have to change it twice, you have to pay the change fee twice at UA -- so that could be $300. Two changes at SWA seems very unlikely to be $300.

Also, at UA, isn't it the fare difference PLUS the change fee? Yes, I know there are some weird situations where if the right fare bucket is available, you only pay the change fee, but I think those are few and far between.

Change isn't free at SWA. There just isn't a penalty ON TOP OF the fare difference penalty.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FCfree
...Also, at UA, isn't it the fare difference PLUS the change fee? Yes, I know there are some weird situations where if the right fare bucket is available, you only pay the change fee, but I think those are few and far between.....
Yes, there can be, unless the trip has already started, IIRC, they've only ever charged me the $200. Still, the lack of a change fee is HUGE for WN, no doubt. Ok, off to the Devolve thread, where I'm going to add my experience last Friday.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:48 pm
Suspended

has anyone mentioned lack of a change fee? I'm not sure if we know that there is no change fee. What a great perk - look - gee - no change fee!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
has anyone mentioned lack of a change fee? I'm not sure if we know that there is no change fee. What a great perk - look - gee - no change fee!
There's no change fee on WN? Dang, what a great thing that is!!!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:41 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I don't think they are listening. Do you?
It takes repetition and time for the message to reach FT readers at Southwest and for the message to then diffuse up to the offices of management. If FT readers and the front line employees are hearing the same story of disappointment, change may occur. Eventually.

For example, I'm guessing that management is just now becoming aware that most customers truly do dislike the new seats.

As a positive example, the March 2014 devaluation of RR was announced without the traditional "enhancement" baloney. I count that as a victory for FT, since essentially everyone here recommends an approach that respects our intelligence. I argued unsuccessfully for that approach on the (then rumored) announcement of RR 2.0. Maybe customers' harsh reaction to that Pollyannish announcement was a message received and understood.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
It takes repetition and time for the message to reach FT readers at Southwest and for the message to then diffuse up to the offices of management. If FT readers and the front line employees are hearing the same story of disappointment, change may occur. Eventually.

For example, I'm guessing that management is just now becoming aware that most customers truly do dislike the new seats.

As a positive example, the March 2014 devaluation of RR was announced without the traditional "enhancement" baloney. I count that as a victory for FT, since essentially everyone here recommends an approach that respects our intelligence. I argued unsuccessfully for that approach on the (then rumored) announcement of RR 2.0. Maybe customers' harsh reaction to that Pollyannish announcement was a message received and understood.
They may be listening, but they're definitely not acting on what they hear when internal forces (read: bottom-line) overwhelm customer feedback.

The Evolve interiors aren't going away.

I'm curious: What about the March 2014 devaluation (from 60 pts/$ to 70 pts/$) could possibly have been announced as an enhancement?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:30 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
I'm curious: What about the March 2014 devaluation (from 60 pts/$ to 70 pts/$) could possibly have been announced as an enhancement?
They would have had to throw us a bone, e.g. mentioning the upcoming change in the tax portion that temporarily made our existing points worth about 7% more.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
They would have had to throw us a bone, e.g. mentioning the upcoming change in the tax portion that temporarily made our existing points worth about 7% more.
Except they never actually announced it and it took days to get confirmation it was not a glitch.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:02 am

Just a quick add-on to the original post. The claim was that UA first class might not be much more than Southwest WGA fares close to the flight time.

Just to note that when SWA opened their schedule on August 25 to include all of March and spring break, I looked into and bought flights DEN-MCO for mid-March.

SWA price: $229 each way, or $458 round trip.

UA (coach price): $757 round trip for similar flight times. Then add to that bag fees and potential change fees. I didn't specifically write down the price of first class, but quite sure it was $300 more.

So ... while the OP may have seen a case where UA-first was close to SWA-coach ... I think that is more the exception than the rule.

But, never be afraid to price a trip on multiple web sites, including SWA. You never know... but don't hold your breath.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by FCfree
Just a quick add-on to the original post. The claim was that UA first class might not be much more than Southwest WGA fares close to the flight time.

Just to note that when SWA opened their schedule on August 25 to include all of March and spring break, I looked into and bought flights DEN-MCO for mid-March.

SWA price: $229 each way, or $458 round trip.

UA (coach price): $757 round trip for similar flight times. Then add to that bag fees and potential change fees. I didn't specifically write down the price of first class, but quite sure it was $300 more.

So ... while the OP may have seen a case where UA-first was close to SWA-coach ... I think that is more the exception than the rule.

But, never be afraid to price a trip on multiple web sites, including SWA. You never know... but don't hold your breath.
Close to flight time.

Booking in August as soon as the schedule opens for March travel is not close to flight time.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Lots of my coworkers love WN and choose UA only if WN does not fly there. Their primary reason, is you can change at will and points accrual and redemption are easy to understand. Plus free snacks and occasionally free drinks. The checked bag fee does not matter as most do not check bags.

I stick to UA, inspite of their drawbacks, primarily for international travel and lounge access. For me UA is not any worse than AA or DL or even WN overall, with seat/plane comfort may be superior in AA/DL, but their frequent flyer programs are atrocious (especially DL) when compared with UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.