Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Help Please, for an SWA newbie

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by abaheti
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3253 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Closing my issue, here's what happened:

Called AirTran night before after receiving an email telling me to check in. Tried to check in. Error. Web site says no-go for international. Rep says A boarding should happen.

Checked in with WN at LAX, was asked for passports. Got all boarding passes. Only AirTran numbers on rez/passes.

Was given A13 and A14. For some reason I got A13 despite not being the primary name on rez. AirTran seats were what I had pre-selected.

So boarding worked on the WN segment at LAX. Thanks for all the advice.

However... Land at DEN and rush from concourse C to A in time to board. No announcements, people in line, no signage. Was turned away and sent to a VERY long line to get a passport proof stamp. Line glacial. Also forced to fill out the emergency contact form (for the first time in ages -- I know it is a rule).

Plane now delayed due to the stamp line process. On the plus side, my bag has extra time to connect from C to A.

In short, all good. Glitch should go away when merger complete and WN accepts passport numbers.

Thanks for all your help. Hope my data point is helpful.
Thanks very much sharing this!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:15 am

Thanks for the report.

It looks like you got BS on the Southwest segment.
I hope you had a drink of Southwest.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:16 am

Thanks for the report.

Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Regarding the boarding order issue, the GA will catch cheaters if they are from a different boarding group. But I have noticed in every single one of my 4 WN flights, that within the boarding group, the GA could care less about boarding order. I have had A17 and seen boarding passes with numbers such as A-27, or A28 in front of me.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3253 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Thanks for the report.

Yes we each received the BS drink chit.

Last edited by abaheti; Jul 25, 2014 at 10:33 pm
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by saneman
I have had A17 and seen boarding passes with numbers such as A-27, or A28 in front of me.
Maybe I am a jerk for doing so, but when I see that, I speak to the person or persons who are out of order.

Hint - if they're holding the BP out in plain sight such that you notice their boarding number - they've probably just stood in the wrong place by accident. The "real" position cheaters always keep their passes hidden until its time to give it to the GA.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold

Not a jerk at all.I normally display my pass and am totally fine when someone says "I'm in front of you" and I often just ask "what number are you? Oh, thanks, looks like I'm right {in front; behind} you." That's the whole point of the system, I think. Simple to follow. Non-offensive to ask if you belong ahead of someone else or vice versa. I've never had anyone object, and have often had people ask what number I have.

Last edited by abaheti; Jul 27, 2014 at 5:46 pm
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
First WN flight on Monday : ATL-DEN-AMA, departing 0610 - purchased EBCI, with the groups boarding before me, likely that a Exit Row Window will be available?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nycatl
First WN flight on Monday : ATL-DEN-AMA, departing 0610 - purchased EBCI, with the groups boarding before me, likely that a Exit Row Window will be available?
Doubtful, there are only 2 seats if not a -800. The BS, A Lists and A List + will all have slots ahead of you, 6:10 am and a longer flight, likely some seasoned business traveler will be all over it. But stranger things have happened!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by joshua362
Doubtful, there are only 2 seats if not a -800. The BS, A Lists and A List + will all have slots ahead of you, 6:10 am and a longer flight, likely some seasoned business traveler will be all over it. But stranger things have happened!
j362,

Thanks for the reply, thinking it is -700, but, at least I'll be good for a window...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by schmoove
Assuming you check in at T-24 you should be fine.
I've checked in at T-23:59:30 and received a B-18 lineup number so you may have to be really fast on the draw if you want a lower number... or .... pay the $12.50 for the early bird.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:57 pm

BTW, when do I know my sequence - at the Ticket Counter Kiosk, or Gate...no baggage to check...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:59 pm

j362,

Thanks for the reply, thinking it is -700, but, at least I'll be good for a window...
Window, no problem, even w/o EBCI.

You may even want to consider going to the gate and ask what A0 X number you'll get if you spend $40 to cut the line. With that, a exit row becomes very doable.

I have to wonder how former ATL AirTran business class customers will handle the transition to WN, whether they will flee to someone else, continue to pay roughly the same amount to WN for no promises and one drink, or buy a lesser fare out of spite...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 pm

BTW, when do I know my sequence - at the Ticket Counter Kiosk, or Gate...no baggage to check...
At check-in from your PC, when you print out your boarding pass at exactly 24 hours before. Unless you do EBCI, just print at your leisure and find out then,
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:50 pm

I have to wonder how former ATL AirTran business class customers will handle the transition to WN, whether they will flee to someone else, continue to pay roughly the same amount to WN for no promises and one drink, or buy a lesser fare out of spite...
Based on many of their posts in this forum, when they're faced with their first WN flight, they're likely to stand in the middle of the terminal, shaking their hands violently and wailing for mama to come help them deal with this travesty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.