Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Misinformation on Issuing LUV Vouchers for Expired Ticketless Travel Funds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Misinformation on Issuing LUV Vouchers for Expired Ticketless Travel Funds

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Thanks. Great to know for next time. Feel like such a fool I couldn't figure that out myself. Me:

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 27, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by nsx
There's a way around that. Buy a $600 ticket with the $500 plus $100 credit card. Cancel it immediately and refund the $100 to the card. You now have $500 travel funds, locked to that passenger name, for purchase of a $500 ticket.
So let me make sure I have this right. I have what is left of a luv voucher ($200) that is going to expire on Sept 23. Are you saying that I could buy a 1 way ticket to , lets say MDW fpr $205, then immediately canx and I will bank that $200 voucher into funds for future travel?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:33 am

I have 3 $200 LUV vouchers that I recieved last summer. Voucher says flight must be completed by 7/6/17. Is it possible to buy a ticket for my wife and myself, cancel and receive funds to use later when I need to use them. I have no plans to fly before expiration and do not want to lose the funds. If I cancel the flight and do not use it before the expiration on the voucher will the funds expire?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:36 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kylisa2013
So let me make sure I have this right. I have what is left of a luv voucher ($200) that is going to expire on Sept 23. Are you saying that I could buy a 1 way ticket to , lets say MDW fpr $205, then immediately canx and I will bank that $200 voucher into funds for future travel?
The ticket will probably need to be $220 or so to qualify to use the full $200 of LUV, but yes you cancel immediately and refund the credit card portion and you have $200 travel credit toward any ticket of $200+.

Originally Posted by jerryc436
I have 3 $200 LUV vouchers that I recieved last summer. Voucher says flight must be completed by 7/6/17. Is it possible to buy a ticket for my wife and myself, cancel and receive funds to use later when I need to use them. I have no plans to fly before expiration and do not want to lose the funds. If I cancel the flight and do not use it before the expiration on the voucher will the funds expire?
There is no way to use these for a trip after 7/6/17 other than reissue by Southwest. To limit the reissue fee to $100 you would need to book ONE reservation for ONE person for, say, a $700 trip, then cancel and refund the credit card part and retain the $600 travel credit. On 7/6 the credit will expire and THEN you can ask to get the reissue which should be a $500 LUV voucher good for 6 months.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
The ticket will probably need to be $220 or so to qualify to use the full $200 of LUV, but yes you cancel immediately and refund the credit card portion and you have $200 travel credit toward any ticket of $200+.

There is no way to use these for a trip after 7/6/17 other than reissue by Southwest. To limit the reissue fee to $100 you would need to book ONE reservation for ONE person for, say, a $700 trip, then cancel and refund the credit card part and retain the $600 travel credit. On 7/6 the credit will expire and THEN you can ask to get the reissue which should be a $500 LUV voucher good for 6 months.
Now I am confused, how is Jerry's situation different then mine? I am trying to indefinitely extend the date of expiration without paying the $100 reissuance/good for only 6 months after expiry ?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kylisa2013
Now I am confused, how is Jerry's situation different then mine? I am trying to indefinitely extend the date of expiration without paying the $100 reissuance/good for only 6 months after expiry ?
You cannot extend these funds without letting them expire and paying the $100 to resurrect them.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:45 pm

Any recent experiences with the $100 TTF re-issue/extend process in post-5/9 world? I seem to recall reports of this not working on Altea many months ago?

Thanks FT!
Old May 30, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Any recent experiences with the $100 TTF re-issue/extend process in post-5/9 world? I seem to recall reports of this not working on Altea many months ago?
I have been waiting to try this, had >$300 that expired 5/20. I called the suggested number and the CR said it would be no problem. BUT he didn't mention the $100 (and I didn't either...), he just put in a request to extend and I rec'd the email today that it wouldn't be possible.

So I don't consider that a true test of the $100 for LUV voucher system, will try again and hopefully get someone who knows what they are doing and will approve the voucher.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by kathmom
I have been waiting to try this, had >$300 that expired 5/20. I called the suggested number and the CR said it would be no problem. BUT he didn't mention the $100 (and I didn't either...), he just put in a request to extend and I rec'd the email today that it wouldn't be possible.

So I don't consider that a true test of the $100 for LUV voucher system, will try again and hopefully get someone who knows what they are doing and will approve the voucher.
Hmmm. Please let us know what you find. Thanks!
Old May 30, 2017, 10:32 pm

Well, this did work, sort of. Got an email saying I have a LUV voucher in my name that expires in 6 months. WN took out the $100 and left me with $200. Unfortunately, they didn't combine the other $80 travel funds; that was what they said they couldn't extend. So, partial success for me; I guess the system still works.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
They have never been willing to combine funds before reissuing. You needed to do that yourself with a dummy reservation and cancellation.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
They have never been willing to combine funds before reissuing. You needed to do that yourself with a dummy reservation and cancellation.
Didn't realize that in the little I had read about extending travel funds. Obviously, I should have been reading in this thread instead of flyer blogs. Now I know, live and learn.

Last edited by kathmom; May 31, 2017 at 12:55 pm
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:21 am

t
Originally Posted by liz4153
I didn't see anything about this in the Wiki or immediately in the forum, so I wanted to let people know.

I know that within the past year the fee for converting expired ticketless travel funds to a LUV voucher went up to $100.

But yesterday I emailed the request to have expired funds of approximately $190 converted to a LUV voucher, expecting to get a $90 voucher. But instead I got this:

"Thanks for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

When plans change, we allow our Customers to have full use of the travel funds for 12 months from the original purchase date as long as the reservation is cancelled at least ten minutes prior to departure. The expiration date of the funds is included at the top of every itinerary, which is e-mailed each time a reservation is created, changed, or cancelled. We also include an advisory that all travel involving the funds must be completed by the expiration date. At this point, the funds associated with _____ are no longer available. We regret that you were unable to use your travel funds prior to their expiration."

So it looks like they are ending the policy of issuing the vouchers...major major bummer.
Even a $10-$20 reinstatement fee would be fair to extend the funds for another 6 months. If I have $300 in funds adding $10-s20 to extend the validity is fair.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
t

Even a $10-$20 reinstatement fee would be fair to extend the funds for another 6 months. If I have $300 in funds adding $10-s20 to extend the validity is fair.
the fee as been $100 for a long time. The reinstayement has always been as Southwests sole option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.