Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How fast is WN baggage-wise?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying southwest for the first time in 2 weeks. I'm flying from LAS to LAX and connecting to LA, flying to LIM. I have exactly 2:10 to make my flights, and I know WN doesn't do baggage interline, so I wanted to know your opinions on how to make this connection.
Can I be confident that Southwest will deliver my bags in a timely manner?
I'll probably walk from T1 to TBIT with a couple bags, but I need to be there for bag drop at least an hour before...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Mavalenzu
I'm flying southwest for the first time in 2 weeks. I'm flying from LAS to LAX and connecting to LA, flying to LIM. I have exactly 2:10 to make my flights, and I know WN doesn't do baggage interline, so I wanted to know your opinions on how to make this connection.
Can I be confident that Southwest will deliver my bags in a timely manner?
I'll probably walk from T1 to TBIT with a couple bags, but I need to be there for bag drop at least an hour before...
In fairness, reasonably quick at LAX most of the time. T1 is small an tight...and busy. Very short walk/ride down the escalator to T1 bag claim. Depending on time of day, they can shuffle carousels last-minute, but they always have a "barker" making flight/carousel announcements. As long as you're a brisk walker down to TBIT you should be good.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
It has NOT been quick lately at LAX. I waited nearly 40 minutes for my luggage in early March around 10 PM when my flight from Phoenix and another from Oakland came in at the same time. Both were packed flights on a Tuesday night.

Do also remember that the remodel construction is really ramping up at T1 at LAX right now.

Southwest still has only two carousels at LAX...that will will change next year.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
If the flight from LAS is on time you'll be fine.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
deleted
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by Michael El
I concur but with such a short international connection why did you book it and later ask about baggage? The carrier to LIM wants you at the counter at T-60 and no less.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by CalItalian
It has NOT been quick lately at LAX. I waited nearly 40 minutes for my luggage in early March around 10 PM when my flight from Phoenix and another from Oakland came in at the same time.
Wonder if BUR is faster with bags?

OP: I last checked a bag to LAX in 2012 and the wait was unremarkable. Haven't had any outrageous waits at SMF, SAN, PHX or PDX over the last year. I rarely check bags--most are when taking different flights than I booked that are out of overhead space--so my data is pretty limited.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveller001
Quote:

I concur but with such a short international connection why did you book it and later ask about baggage? The carrier to LIM wants you at the counter at T-60 and no less.
I had a ticket in another carrier who would transfer the bags with similar connection time, but the flight time was changed and I found this one, only to later find out southwest doesn't transfer bags.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt

It is all about your risk tolerance. If the WN flight is delayed and you miss your connection on a separate PNR on a different carrier, you will probably have your LAX - LIM ticket canceled.

Last fall, I had a similar situation in LAX connecting to a separate LAX-SYD flight and I booked a flight that gave me more than 5 hours in LAX over one that gave about 3.

Also, what day of the week and time of week will you be going through TBIT Security? I went through on a Saturday night about a month ago and the line was very long...granted, the 60 minute bag check is probably the biggest hurdle.

Since WN has no change fees, if I was in your position, I would change to an earlier flight.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Keep in mind that it will be necessary to go through security again at TBIT; combined with the walk from T1, 2:10 will go by fast, little room for delays - quite common on WN these days.

Why not AA? They should interline with your LIM flight (no need to deal with luggage), T4 is MUCH closer to TBIT, fare should be competitive.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by diver858

Why not AA? They should interline with your LIM flight (no need to deal with luggage), T4 is MUCH closer to TBIT, fare should be competitive.
That is a good solution. Minimum connect time AA domestic to LA international at LAX is 90 minutes, and interlining the bag makes for much less hassle.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That is a good solution. Minimum connect time AA domestic to LA international at LAX is 90 minutes, and interlining the bag makes for much less hassle.
Plus if for some reason the AA flight is late and the OP missed his LAN flight, AA has a policy of treating separate tickets on oneworld as one ticket, so AA would find a way to get him to LIM.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by traveller001
True, but it's a little too late to judge the OP's decisions. The OP was looking for piece of mind and we've provided it. Worst case is the WN flight is delayed and he/she misses the connection to LIM and has to deal with LA to reroute.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given that the risk is that your LAX-LIM is cancelled if you noshow and that you would also be stuck with a hotel + food for at least a day, I would not risk this. You can still buy a ticket on an earlier WN flight for $69 and that is well worth it no matter what you paid for your existing WN ticket.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
True, but it's a little too late to judge the OP's decisions. The OP was looking for piece of mind and we've provided it. Worst case is the WN flight is delayed and he/she misses the connection to LIM and has to deal with LA to reroute.
But if the OP misses the flight, it may not just be reroute but rather buy a last minute full fare ticket to LIM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.