Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Soutwest ticketing with companion pass

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Soutwest ticketing with companion pass

My understanding is as long as there is a seat then with a companion pass you get to take it. But is it possible to add a companion when the wanna get away fare is not available 7 days prior to departure? I don't think it matters if that fare class is available or not right?

Also, when they are down to the business and anytime fares, does it mean there's 10 or fewer seats left? How many seat remanins usually for them to stop selling wanna get away fares? I'm sure it's different with each route but a rough idea in terms of number or % would be interesting.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:40 pm

your companion pass will get a seat no matter what with reservation. people that will be bump off first are employees & their families or buddy pass flyers standing by. if oversold flight, they will go with volunteers bump. i don't know what's after that.

but as long as your cp have a reservation, no chance he/she will be bump off. unless check in late.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lrickets
your companion pass will get a seat no matter what with reservation. people that will be bump off first are employees & their families or buddy pass flyers standing by. if oversold flight, they will go with volunteers bump. i don't know what's after that.

but as long as your cp have a reservation, no chance he/she will be bump off. unless check in late.
I was not sure if the companion pass gets a seat when only business and anytime fares are remaning. So i guess as long as there are any category seats avaiable for sale, then companion will get a seat regardless it sounds like.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:03 pm

You have to actually book your companion the flight to reserve the seat. As long as there is a seat open you can book as your companion. When the flight sells out you can no longer book one for your companion.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by hqly2001
I was not sure if the companion pass gets a seat when only business and anytime fares are remaning. So i guess as long as there are any category seats avaiable for sale, then companion will get a seat regardless it sounds like.
regardless of fares or award seat booked by you, you need to book your cp at the time you book your ticket. he/she will have a confirm seat and count as +1 seat sold. you can also add cp later and still have a confirm seat unless the one you're confirm on completely sold out. that's why you should book the cp at the same time as yours.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
I think the one exception here is an AirTran flight with BS available and anytime sold out. AirTran flights booked as a BS on southwest.com get a business class seat, but companions always end up in coach.

It's a very interesting situation since I doubt it would work through the website, but the companion pass policy explicitly states there are no seat restrictions.

Has anyone ever tried this?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:04 am

As long as there are still seats for sale you can add a companion. If the flight is sold out on WN you cannot add a companion.

I once forgot to book the CP and the flight sold out. Even though it was sold out on WN the same flight still had availability through FL, though the CP could not be used.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Diamond
The only downside to booking the Companion at the same time is with the system change in the last year (or 2?) you can't refare with a companion. You have to cancel the companion to refare. Very annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.