Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:34 pm

So the anti-seat saver recommendation is vigilantism? Sounds exactly like what is needed on an airplane...
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
That's abundantly true.
Responding to your straw man argument was an obvious mistake in hindsight. Lesson learned.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by SANdyFlyer
Lesson learned.
If only.

Ok, I'm out.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:25 pm

The anti-seat savers in this thread crack me up. Throughout the course of this thread it has been discussed how prior to the flight, the GAs and CSRs recommend seat saving. During the flight, the FAs will almost always side and accommodate the seat saver in a dispute. If you have a problem with it after the flight, CS will send you a non-apology apology email stating that they are fully aware of seat saving and support it; too bad for you.

The anti-seat savers response to this... "The day-to-day reality of what ACTUALLY happens on Southwest flights means nothing! Instead, let's dissect this definition of 'available' on the website."
LOL making up your own "facts" to support your argument (aka feeling of entitlement) since none of this is true. Please show us the emails where Southwest says they support seat saving.

If you're going to try and make a controversial argument please don't invent false facts to support it. Just admit you a have a selfish entitlement attitude. You want things you have not earned and have no right to. It's as simple as that. That's your only reason to be in favor of claiming something that isn't yours.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by SpartanTraveler
LOL making up your own "facts" to support your argument (aka feeling of entitlement) since none of this is true. Please show us the emails where Southwest says they support seat saving.
Nice try...but none of my facts were 'made up'. My comments are based upon personal observations, as well as widespread reports from others in this thread and prior threads. Considering that there were several links to emails just a couple pages prior, it sounds like you are just being lazy.

Just admit you a have a selfish entitlement attitude. You want things you have not earned and have no right to. It's as simple as that. That's your only reason to be in favor of claiming something that isn't yours.
As I've said before, I have no skin in this game. Both my wife and I have elite status and no need to save seats.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle

Maybe this is just a subtle difference in semantics, but Southwest doesn't officially support seat saving, but they do allow it.

It's their de facto policy, and there's no two ways around it.

(Again, I do not support this seat saving policy — since I usually fly solo — but I don't have my head in the sand pretending that it doesn't exist, because it does. And this is simply confirmed by the actions of all Southwest employees, especially the FAs and GAs. Anyone who doesn't believe this simply hasn't flown Southwest enough or is in denial in regards to this de facto policy.)

Last edited by Peter T.; Apr 18, 2014 at 3:29 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:54 pm

If you're going to try and make a controversial argument please don't invent false facts to support it. Just admit you a have a selfish entitlement attitude. You want things you have not earned and have no right to. It's as simple as that. That's your only reason to be in favor of claiming something that isn't yours.
"Originally Posted by john398 View Post
They have said in customer letters they do not have a policy either way

Seat saving brouhaha
post 69 letter to customer says:

"Truthfully, we dont have a policy either way--for or against--saving seats. In fact, we share our perspective on this issue on southwest.com as follows: "because Southwest Airlines maintains an open-seating policy, general-boarding Customers may sit in any open or unclaimed seat." With this in mind, as long as there is no Safety concern, it would be acceptable for a Customer to "claim" a seat for his/her family member or traveling companion who may be in a later boarding group. We are aware that the saving of seats is a by-product of our policy, and as long as the boarding process is not delayed and other Customers aren't inconvenienced, it usually isnt a significant issue.""
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
As I've said before, I have no skin in this game. Both my wife and I have elite status and no need to save seats.
Southwest has "elite" status????? What can possibly be elite about flying Southwest?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Southwest has "elite" status????? What can possibly be elite about flying Southwest?
LOL. anti-wn much?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

SANdyFlyer, i do not see it as vigilantism. Your repeated attempts to go to extremes to belittle other people's thoughts and experiences is unfortunate.

I do not think most anti-seat savers will go out of their way to prove their point. That said, if the last aisle seat is being saved for someone that has not gotten there yet, I will take it.

Finally, I find it interesting that you, the most ardent pro seat saver on this thread, never have to deal with these issues.

I want to thank all the people who took time out to post and repost on this topic. I have learned a few things ( see my summary posts), like I always do on FT.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by lrickets
"Originally Posted by john398 View Post
They have said in customer letters they do not have a policy either way

Seat saving brouhaha
post 69 letter to customer says:

"Truthfully, we don’t have a policy either way--for or against--saving seats. In fact, we share our perspective on this issue on southwest.com as follows: "because Southwest Airlines maintains an open-seating policy, general-boarding Customers may sit in any open or unclaimed seat." With this in mind, as long as there is no Safety concern, it would be acceptable for a Customer to "claim" a seat for his/her family member or traveling companion who may be in a later boarding group. We are aware that the saving of seats is a by-product of our policy, and as long as the boarding process is not delayed and other Customers aren't inconvenienced, it usually isn’t a significant issue.""
(bold added by me)

See I guess interpreting this is in the eye of the beholder. They clearly say they don't have a policy for it either way. Then they say if there is no safety concern its acceptable to save a seat except if the boarding process is delayed or other customers are inconvenienced. Clearly the OP was inconvenienced. Someone was saving the only remaining non-middle seat and the OP was holding an earlier boarding number than whoever was expecting to sit in that seat (even though he didn't shell out for EB). The way I read this is WN basically trying not to get involved by saying people can save a seat as long as it doesn't bother someone else - i.e. save a seat unless someone else wants it.

I can see why WN would want to stay away from this issue. If they come out firmly against seat saving they are going to scare away their target clientele which is mostly budget-minded leisure travelers who travel in groups. They aren't frequent flyers and if they think they might not get to sit together they may be scared off.

If they came out in favor of seat saving they are opening up a can of worms and specifically contradicting their own explicit policies of choosing your seat based on your boarding position.

Unfortunately it sounds like that ambiguity leads to problems sometimes when the occasional selfish and entitled-feeling person is saving good seats (i.e. window, aisle, or exit row).
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:05 am

for the record, i'm a pro seat saver too when traveling with someone. i just chose to ignore whiners.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:42 am

I am with OP.

I just take the seat and watch the hysteria ensue.. Loads of fun

My favorite was several years ago. "Grandma" boards first and proceeds to block out about three rows with coats, bags etc...

Flyers come on and some of the start taking "Grandma's" seats. She goes crying to the FA about how her "kids" will have to sit away from her etc.. FA does nothing (and while Grandma is off crying she lost another row.)

Just before the door closes the "kids" saunter on. NONE of them were under 21 and all of them had been happily sitting in the bar having "one last beer" because "Grandma" was saving them a seat.

They did wind up in middle seats all over the plane and the FA basically told them to suck it up or get off LOL!

So if you try this stunt with me expect to have your bag moved. And the louder you cry and scream the less likely I am to assist you. Yes, you may think I am rude, but weren't you?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
their target clientele which is mostly budget-minded leisure travelers who travel in groups. They aren't frequent flyers and if they think they might not get to sit together they may be scared off..
People keep repeating that this is WN's target group, but I don't think it is.

CA routes (in particular) are packed with business travelers. Also a LOT ex-MDW and many other cities. Notice how many people are traveling by themselves. Tons.

My wife travels for business on WN whenever she can, and it's a good thing, the way she changes flights/dates/times.

Budget-minded travelers usually go to Expedia/Kayak and pick whatever's cheapest.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Apr 18, 2014 at 8:03 am
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:59 am

So, have we settled this debate yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.