How to recoup $1850 in Southwest Flights

Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:05 am
Original Poster

How to recoup $1850 in Southwest Flights

In July 2013, I purchased 5 Southwest tickets for myself and family members to Puerto Rico. Unfortunately I had to cancel due to conflicts with the childrens' mandatory school events. Apparently I have $1850 in travel funds that have to be used by July 2014. Southwest will not refund the money to my credit card. What is the best way to recoup the money I spent? Can I sell the credit to someone else? Any information is appreciated.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I assume that these were non-refundable tickets that you purchased ( WGA fares ). I will also assume that each of the tickets cost $370.

If so, then 5 people each have a credit of $370. That credit can only be used in the name of the original person and cannot be sold as no one else can use that credit. That means that only the original person with that credit can use and fly with that credit.

Your only other option is to allow those credits to expire and you can then extend them for 6 months ( or possibly a year ) at a loss of $100 each. But then the credits can be used for anyone. So you would then have 5 credits of $270 that can be used for anyone.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:22 am
Original Poster

I am not sure if it was a WGA purchase or not. I do have 5 credits of $270 each. So basically I can let them expire, get charged $500, and then I would have a $1350 that I could sell to any one person? How would I then sell the credit?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
But then the credits can be used for anyone.

Is that correct? If you pay the $100 to extend/renew the credit it can be used by anyone?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Lyons Counseling
I am not sure if it was a WGA purchase or not. I do have 5 credits of $270 each. So basically I can let them expire, get charged $500, and then I would have a $1350 that I could sell to any one person? How would I then sell the credit?
You cannot sell the credits as far as Southwest is concerned, but I am sure it regularly happens on Ebay and Craig's list. Obviously you will only be able to sell at a discount to face value and find someone who trusts you and you trust them.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by DebitNM
But then the credits can be used for anyone.

Is that correct? If you pay the $100 to extend/renew the credit it can be used by anyone?
From the FT WIKI ; http://flyerguide.com/index.php/Cate..._Rapid_Rewards

There is a work-around of sorts for this restriction. You can combine all the funds for a given passenger, let them expire (and they will carry the earliest expiration date of all the funds you combined), and pay $75 to have the funds re-issued as a travel credit usable for anyone.
That $75 is now $100.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
it is only a matter of time before Southwest LUV vouchers are tied to a single passenger name.

This is really the only inconsistency related to their travel funds. This would even help close a 'potential for internal fraud' scenario.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
it is only a matter of time before Southwest LUV vouchers are tied to a single passenger name.

This is really the only inconsistency related to their travel funds. This would even help close a 'potential for internal fraud' scenario.
RR points can be used for any passenger. While LUV vouchers might get tied to a specific passenger I don't see any inconsistency in allowing them to be used by for any passenger, since RR points may be as well.

They might as well stop issuing vouchers and issue RR points instead, since they are more flexible and tied to dollars. A $200 LUV voucher is effectively equivalent to 12,000 RR points.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:59 am

What is the best way to recoup the money I spent?
Take the family on a trip before the travel funds expire.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:01 am

In July 2013, I purchased 5 Southwest tickets for myself and family members to Puerto Rico. Unfortunately I had to cancel due to conflicts with the childrens' mandatory school events. Apparently I have $1850 in travel funds that have to be used by July 2014. Southwest will not refund the money to my credit card. What is the best way to recoup the money I spent? Can I sell the credit to someone else? Any information is appreciated.
Mandatory school events ...Screw school ....jk...Sorry you had to cancel your trip but bs on school events imho
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
They might as well stop issuing vouchers and issue RR points instead, since they are more flexible and tied to dollars. A $200 LUV voucher is effectively equivalent to 12,000 RR points.
A $200 luv voucher is currently equal to 12k RR points if redeemed for WGA travel. 12k points only reduces a BS fare ticket by $100.

If there is a delay causing luv vouchers to be printed for everyone at the gate, it is inconsistent to give unrestricted vouchers considering that over 80% of the passengers bought WGA flights.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
RR points can be used for any passenger. While LUV vouchers might get tied to a specific passenger I don't see any inconsistency in allowing them to be used by for any passenger, since RR points may be as well.

But if they issued points instead of LUV vouchers you'd have to book a points ticket instead of a revenue ticket. You'd miss out on receiving points from the revenue ticket as well as having a flight count towards status.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First

horrible idea. A LUV voucher is worth way more than 12k RR points because the flight it is redeemed on is elite qualifying, earns points, and can be used on BS flights at the same redemption rate.

I know I wouldn't VDB for 12k points, for example, but a $200 LUV voucher, probably.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by no2chem
horrible idea. A LUV voucher is worth way more than 12k RR points because the flight it is redeemed on is elite qualifying, earns points, and can be used on BS flights at the same redemption rate.

I know I wouldn't VDB for 12k points, for example, but a $200 LUV voucher, probably.
Horrible idea is right.....

$200 BS OW purchased with 200$ LUV voucher. A+ earns 4,800 PTs minimum with no promo, all PTs go to tiers. BS get free drink and A1-15 boarding

And then maybe after giving out 200 million PTs for vdb, they devalue again....

12,000 RR PTs, none of that.....

Last edited by antinseattle; Mar 6, 2014 at 1:12 pm
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Forget what the rules ought to be. The question is what the rules are for OP's specific situation.

OP's first stop should be with his travel insurer. Many cover business & school commitments, so long as those can be properly documented as "mandatory".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.