Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to recoup $1850 in Southwest Flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
One advantage of purchasing travel insurance through an Airline or Credit Card company is they while the company may not technically be responsible for the insurance, they have an incentive to make sure their customers are treated fairly.
Maybe if you're a top-end Amex Black customer, there's something to this.

I have no reason to believe that an airline could get involved to make sure a customer was treated fairly. In fact, I expect almost the exact opposite from U.S. airlines.

Maybe a possible exception for the Global Services type flier but even there I'm not so sure.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
One advantage of purchasing travel insurance through an Airline or Credit Card company is they while the company may not technically be responsible for the insurance, they have an incentive to make sure their customers are treated fairly.
It should be obvious that purchasing insurance for items that you can afford the loss on is a losing bet.

Other than the medical issue, I have a real issue with those pushing travel insurance around here.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by bloxomo
But remember that it is $100 per person, so $500 on $1850 of fares in OP's case.
Oops, did not know that, I thought possibly the entire PNR transfer would cost $100, assuming all 5 reservations were made on the same PNR. I wonder if this was ever tested?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exwannabe
It should be obvious that purchasing insurance for items that you can afford the loss on is a losing bet.

Other than the medical issue, I have a real issue with those pushing travel insurance around here.
In general, agreed. However, JDiver posted on FT that you can get evacuation insurance from anywhere in the world quite cheaply by getting membership in some Dive Association, something like $89 a year. If you are going to a really remote place, this is surely worth it.

Or is this what you mean by "the medical issue?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.